This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahoma hit by Hurricane!

Yeah, sort of. What was left of Tropical Storm Erin arrived last night.

It surged into what they are calling a "Land-based Tropical Cyclone". There were winds up to 85 miles per hour circulating just like the eye of a hurricane. They said downtown Watonga was all broken glass and Geary had buildings with roofs blown off. My town got over 8 inches in a couple hours, but one of my coworkers got over 13 inches!

There was nothing but water from porch to porch, you could not see where the road ended, which might explain that truck off in the ditch across the street. The next time I looked, the tree across the street had split and fallen on the truck.
    I watched them pull it out of the ditch this morning and learned a lot of new words

We don't open till 12 noon on Sunday, but my boss called about 10am and said we were flooded and wanted us to come in early to start cleaning it up. We had shop vacs and mops and water on almost every ailse. It reached the paint store room, so all the bottom boxes were soaked and the back storeroom was a inch deep. ( I am glad I won't be there tomorow when the manager finds his soaked office.)

Then we opened, on one hand you have the EMERGENCY shoppers, who are only dangerous when you run out of stuff. But then you have the regular shoppers who act like they missed the whole storm thingy.

Some act annoyed that I am cleaning up or act surprised that there is water in the store. Others just seem oblivious to everything, at least till they step in it.

"Hey, did you know there is water on the floor over here?"
    Last edited by Dark Psion; 08-22-2007, 04:40 AM.
    "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Quoth Dark Psion View Post
    but one of my coworkers got over 13 inches!
    Lucky girl!

Rapscallion

Comment

If an Administrator bans himself, does it make a sound?
      "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Yes, and it sounds like a thousand penguins falling on their backs in the Falklands.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
          Lucky girl!

Rapscallion
          Ya know I was thinking the exact same thing Just jealous I guess...
          I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

Lucky girl!

Rapscallion
            DOH!
            "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Lucky girl!
              This is why we don't let you out in public, Raps...
              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                This is why we don't let you out in public, Raps...
                Yet I can sneak out of my cage unnoticed until too late . . .

13 inches, eh? I think John Holmes only boasted 12 or 12 1/2 at the most.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Well . . . there's only one way to find out . . .
                  This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                  X