This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's what you get for being a jerk.

Backstory: At the hobbyshop, prices change all the time. We have so much stuff and so limited employees that we don't get around to all the price changes, we just watch the computer screen for any variance in price and then just change it if it's higher in the system than on the tag. If it's lower in the system, but higher on the tag I'll tell people that they have "saved" money on their purchase.

3 weeks ago, we had a real asshat come through. I don't even remember what he was doing(didn't have time to post it before I forgot), but he was giving us all grief. Not even the owner could stand this guy.

When he came to my counter to make the purchase, I noticed he picked out mostly variances(all the stuff was from a company that had recently lowered their prices). And they were ALL lower in the system and higher on the tag.

So, I go into the system and raise the prices on everything to the price on the tag. His total savings IF he had been a nice person? About $40.

Edit: I just told the owner about my "evil moment". His response? "As well you should. That'll teach 'em. Honestly, I do it too."

I don't want to quit working here. I really don't think I could handle it anywhere else.
    Last edited by Gabrielle Proctor; 08-20-2007, 07:19 PM.
    Check out my cosplay social group!
    http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

While I understand your frustration, I don't think what you did was right.

I couldn't even do that at my job if I wanted to.

ETA: Also, if the price is more then what is marked on the item you mean to tell me you're going to mark it up without even telling me? Seriously? That's all kinds of wrong.

Comment

Ah. Jerk tax. I'm familiar with it.

Comment

Quoth Neo_Classic View Post
        ETA: Also, if the price is more then what is marked on the item you mean to tell me you're going to mark it up without even telling me? Seriously? That's all kinds of wrong.
        The OP made the prices what was marked on the shelf/item. The price in the system was lower than what was on the shelf. The customer was paying what was expected, didn't get a "discount" from the shelf prices.

Comment

Quoth ringo View Post
          The OP made the prices what was marked on the shelf/item. The price in the system was lower than what was on the shelf. The customer was paying what was expected, didn't get a "discount" from the shelf prices.
          Oh I know that but I'm asking about this:

...then just change it if it's higher in the system than on the tag.

Comment

Here's what I read from that description:

Items are priced out on the shelves. To continuously update all price tags would be beyond a royal pain in the ass, as the computer system has a constantly updating list of prices.

When a new (and higher) price comes through on the computer system, go out and update the price tag on the shelf. Otherwise, don't bother.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
              Ah. Jerk tax.
              Now, that's a great idea!
              "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
              ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Oh I know that but I'm asking about this:
                What Gabrielle meant is if the system price is higher than the tag, she will lower the price to match the tag. That's not unfair at all.

I called it asshole tax when I was in the position to adjust pricing. If someone was a dick they paid a little more.
                I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Speaking of the jerk tax, here's an image from a local McMenniman's that I always enjoyed:

It reads: "If you are grouchy, irritable, or just plain mean, there will be a $10 charge for putting up with you."
                  "Oh, you hate your job? There's a club for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet down at the bar." ~Drew Carey

Comment

So nice when you have the chance to do this.

Nicer still when you get to reward someone for being kind and human, but evil revenge for evil deeds in just so sweeeeet
                    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Too bad he couldn't find out how his mistake had cost him eh
                      Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

Here's the deal:

They pay what they expect to pay. I haven't technically raised any prices on them.

While I understand your frustration, I don't think what you did was right.
                        Morality has nothing to do with it. Karma, however...

If you're a member of this board, a certain amount of decorum is expected from you in other establishments. If it wasn't, we would all be a big stinking pile of hypocrites. Are you telling me that you would be a big enough pain in my ass for me to do something like this to you?

After all the bitching we do? After all of those situations that are out of our control? After the way customers have treated YOU, would you, or ANY of you, really come in here and act like an SC to me? Infact, anyone on this board coming into the hobbyshop would get a special discount just for being so damn cool. EDIT: And Rapscallion would get free candy.

I don't do this to any Joe-Shmo-minding-his-own-business-not-bothering-anybody, Joe-Shmo would even get the discount on an item with a variance. You really have to piss me off for me to raise the price to what it says on the tag.

Comment

"Oh I know that but I'm asking about this:

Quote:
                          ...then just change it if it's higher in the system than on the tag. "

When that happens, it's the opposite. If it is higher in the system than it is on the tag, I go in and lower the price.

Seriously, the amount of bitching that would come out of that? Not worth it. I would have void it out and that's a real pain in the ass. Sometimes it's a mistake, but I really try to catch it before it happens.

Comment

As far as moral compases and situations go? A quick sign with "prices marked may change upwards or downwards due to manufacturer's input" or somesuch, and no-one can complain.

Well.. no-one SHOULD...

Comment

Quoth Crazeyal View Post
                              As far as moral compases and situations go? A quick sign with "prices marked may change upwards or downwards due to manufacturer's input" or somesuch, and no-one can complain.

Well.. no-one SHOULD...
                              Oh, but they will!

BITCH BITCH BAIT AND SWITCH FALSE ADVERTISING MY LAWYER WILL HEAR ABOUT THIS BITCH BITCH.......
                              I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Working...
                              X