This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'It's none of my business" really means it's none of yours

Opened cafe this morning and it is one of the open-early-for-mall-walkers*cough*coffee drinkers days. Well managers forgot to let me in right away, so I only had 20 minutes to open. OK, that wasn't a huge deal, but it would mean that I'd spend my first 45 minutes getting food ready. Technically we don't open until 2 hours later, so I could've dragged it out, but I knew it would be busy, so I just pushed through to get it set up at the old, earlier time. I'm glad I did because Closing Girl didn't have time to stock anything. We used to close at 9:00 pm, then they moved it back to 8:00, and now it's 7:00. She barely has time to close, so since I have the longer shift I do all food prep, the cooler, the chips and whatnot, and stock dry goods.

So in the middle of getting my initial setup done, I picked up the thermometer to temp food and of course got interrupted for creamers. OK, fine. I went and put some out. Back to my thermometer. And then another interruption.
    Now, let me interject here that earlier we'd had an apprehension of some youths stealing alcohol and I saw the broken bottle, so I assumed the ambulance was there because of a glass-related injury. That's all I know, and not from being nosey. It was just easy to gather.
    So at the point of thermometus interruptus, I couldn't even hear what Mall Walker was saying because of all the machines, so I had to stop what I was doing and go to the counter. I still didn't know what she was saying because she was whispering. Why? Because gossipers know they are wrong. She was trying to give me the skinny on the incident. OK, first, I already know. I saw the kids before you ever did. Second, you are interrupting me because you NEVER, EVER SEEM TO REALIZE I HAVE WORK TO DO. Third, you are a gossip and I do not respect that. So I decisively told her "It's none of my business." That shut her up. I was so annoyed. People in this town cannot mind their own beeswax. And to think we close earlier, thus eliminating our chance to make money on real food instead of senior coffees, because we needed to save some payroll to allocate to opening early for these people. Why?? Why spend payroll so they can buy 75-cent coffees and steal soda?

Oh, and I forgot: I saw them waving AP Guy over so they could grill him for details. If he wants to share, that's fine, but I don't ask.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 07-25-2015, 02:20 AM. Reason: added another thought
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Sounds like my other neighbor, the Pterodactyl. She flies all around the neighborhood sticking her claws into everyone's business, then spends hours sitting on her front step jabbering with her cronies about everyone's business.

Nosy old were-bat.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm going to remember your very wise response, Food Lady. Usually when I'm asked to gossip, all I can think to say is "why is it any of your business?" Seriously, if it doesn't impact the person asking why should they need to know?

Comment

I realized after I typed this that I'm not perfect in this area. There have been a couple of things I've said in the last week that maybe I shouldn't have mentioned to anyone. ugh Well, object lesson.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          I realized after I typed this that I'm not perfect in this area. There have been a couple of things I've said in the last week that maybe I shouldn't have mentioned to anyone. ugh Well, object lesson.
          The other day when cutting some white fabric a lady was going to make a baby blanket out of, I made a comment about how a kid would get it dirty really fast. I was frustrated because the fabric had many oil-spots and also because the lady fussed over something up in the selvage (not usable in any case). Her reply? "Well, it won't be my problem!" Yeah, nice. But honestly it wasn't a great comment on my part. Food Lady, I think we both have to interact with custies so much that a couple weird comments will happen, that's just inevitable.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I mean information I didn't need to spread. It's just something I need to work on, and I guess that's why it bothers me when others do it.

Comment

I think the important thing is that you're self-aware, while true gossips just don't seem bothered?

I share very little with cow-orkers because most of them have motor mouths; the only people I confide in are those that have confided in me, we've earned eachother's trust, and we only discuss ourselves not others.
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Yes, I think if it involves you it's ok. There's a place for that.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                  Yes, I think if it involves you it's ok. There's a place for that.
                  There is a test you can use to see if something is appropriate. Before you say something about someone to a third party, stop and think, "Would I say this to their face?"

That is, if the person you are about to spill the goods on were present would you still say it? If the answer is "No" then don't say it.

So "I saw that slut going into a motel with her pool cleaner" is not something you should say and

"I saw her helping a blind lady across the street" is OK.

Stick to that rule and you will have very little trouble in your life. I also find that when someone wants to gossip to me about someone else, I can bring them to a halt by saying something like

"I don't want to hear that it's none of my business."

Comment

Good advice.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                      I'm going to remember your very wise response, Food Lady. Usually when I'm asked to gossip, all I can think to say is "why is it any of your business?" Seriously, if it doesn't impact the person asking why should they need to know?
                      Mine is usually to ask "Is there a reason you need to know this?".
                      The usual response is "No" so I tell them "Then there's no reason for me to tell you.".
                      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                        Mine is usually to ask "Is there a reason you need to know this?".
                        The usual response is "No" so I tell them "Then there's no reason for me to tell you.".
                        Or as I like to say nowadays :

If it's not affecting what's going on in MY house as far as me being able to pay my bills, put food on my table or be able to get stuff done that I want to I don't really care about it.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                        X