This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Not to Ask A Question

People come up to quite often and ask me a question about the location of an item, if we have it in stock, etc...

However here are some ways how NOT to ask me a question.

1.) Do not ask if we have clocks and then walk away because I have to think a moment.
    A.) I will not follow you, because I am the only cashier
    B.)Give me a chance to answer you

2.)Walk and talk. Does not even stop to ask the question, but continues to walk away while asking me something.

3.)Do not take turns asking questions
    A.) A couple came up to me and the wife wanted to know about a frying pan, while the husband was interested in drink mixes. They took turns asking there questions and I had no idea what they were talking about

4.) Do not ask a whole string of questions, then expect me to remember all the questions they asked.

5.) Do not interrupt me when I am helping someone else. You are not the most important person in the world.

6.) Do not ask me a question while on your cellphone.

7.) Do not ask me if we have X-Brand and then whine, complain and ask why we don't carry X-Brand. I am a cashier. I am not the person who determines what the store carries.

8.) Do not wave me over to where you are. Also do not do an underhanded wave where it looks like you do not want to seen waving to me, as if we are making some illegal deal. How do you expect me to see you do that?
    Last edited by Redhead17; 03-02-2013, 12:15 AM.
    Life could be wonderful if people would leave you alone
    - Charlie Chaplin

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.
    - Captain Jack Sparrow

#5. yeah it's sad how many people think they are the only customers who exist.

even worse when they actually try SAYING that the other customers don't matter, only them.

Comment

I've had to remind Hubby of #7 many times. "The cashier does not make purchasing decisions for the store. Don't take it out on them."
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
        I've had to remind Hubby of #7 many times. "The cashier does not make purchasing decisions for the store. Don't take it out on them."
        oh and don't forget when it's a case where the store itself has no choice cos of a new or already-existing law (like those plastic bag bans/taxes etc)

Comment

How about, "Do not interrupt my answer to ask me another question. Let me finish!"
          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

And one of my favorites...Do not stand 20 feet away barely in my line of sight and then mumble some random words and expect me to know what you're talking about. Bonus points for getting angry when I have no freaking idea what you want!
            I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

SC's will fall when the questions are asked.
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

WHO reference!
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                  My Dad doesn't get this either.... the simple answer "It didn't sell" just goes right over his head..... "Huh? I bought it all the time!'

Yeah, you and 2 other guys who haven't noticed that it's not 1982 anymore and your car is the only one in the parking lot still running off a carburetor.
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Redhead17 View Post
                    2.)Walk and talk. Does not even stop to ask the question, but continues to walk away while asking me something.
                    AARRGGHH!!! That drives me crazy! Used to have coworkers who did this to me all the damned time; telling me something while walking away from me, tossing it over their shoulder in my general direction. First of all, it's rude to walk away from someone if you're talking to them. Second, my hearing isn't the best. If you're talking while facing away from me and walking away (thus getting fainter as you move away), why are you surprised if I think you're finished and don't do as you ask?! Stop, look at me and ask the question. It's that simple.
                    Quoth Trixie View Post
                    And one of my favorites...Do not stand 20 feet away barely in my line of sight and then mumble some random words and expect me to know what you're talking about. Bonus points for getting angry when I have no freaking idea what you want!
                    A variation on the above theme. Really, I don't have cooties, I won't contaminate you with poor-retail-worker-itis. Come over and talk to me if you want information!
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

We have a couple of customers who, when I am at the counter doing nothing and can't see them, don't come over to me and ask a question.
                      Neither do they pop their head out so they know I can see them, wave or call me over, and then ask a question when I come over.
                      Instead, they simply stand where I can't see them and they can't see me, on the other side of the store, and ask their question. The other day it was "How hard is this fabric to stitch?"
                      First, I had no Idea where in the store she was. So I had to call out to her that I was coming to find her. Then she was looking at something else by then, so I had to find out what fabric she was asking about in the first place.
                      This lady does this every single time she shops with us. Eventually, I told her I have trouble hearing from a distance, so I couldn't always hear her when she called out. Don't think she will remember for next time. Oh well.
                      Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
                      It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

I work behind a display case which holds various seafoody things. That means the closest people can be is..what 3 or 4 feet? People often like to stand about 4 feet away from THAT...and then mumble their order. Behind my head, there is a fan/thing that is very loud, and the steamers are very loud. And they're in that range where it's not an uncomfortable loudness, but it does make it difficult to hear anything anyone says.

The folks who don't stand on the other side of the damned store, will come up to the counter and mumble. and then get really pissed off when I can't quite understand wtf they want. repeated "I'm sorry, I can't hear over the machines, could you speak louder"..sort of pleas... just gets them to repeat it, in the same damned low stupid voice.

And these aren't people who aren't capable of talking loudly. I have customers who aren't. You know what they do? They let me know. I bring my ass around the counter, so I can hear them and they can hear me. But, no I'm not going to do that for little miss can't not mumble.

I like the people who order shit, and just walk away. I don't mean, we go through the process, I weigh things, and we get prices and stuff--and they walk away while I steam them. I mean "I want 4 lbs of sea creatures...." and they wander off. Then they come back, wanting their order. You have to actually FINISH your order.

Bah. Retail is fun.
                        you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Working...
                        X