This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawsuit settled

Well since this is semi-over now I can talk about it.

Back in 2004-2005 we worked on a senior citizen home in NJ. Terrible job, contractor was an idiot, walls all over the place, things didn't fit right, etc.

Anyway, about 1/2 way through and we still haven't been paid so the owner (OW) of the company says we're not delivering again until we get a check.

The contractor (GC) calls and keeps trying to work things out with my boss (BM). Finally BM has enough and tells the secretary to tell the GC that he's been fired for allowing the job to go on this long without payment, and that he has to talk to OW.

The company I work for is named after the owner. So OW, Inc. in this story. GC tells OW "I didn't know you were an actual person. I thought BM and Matt (me) were some 'fly by night' organization. I would have called you a long time ago. The two of them are causing all sorts of problems..."

He goes on to blame us for all of his problems. It takes a meeting between BM and GC in Jersey to settle it down (with us reminding him of all his problems). BM wanted to take me to the meeting because I was fired up, and had vivid memories of all the problems.

Anyway, we get a check and get going again.

Job finishes, and again payments aren't coming. We try to file a Mechanic's Lien, but it's denied because we hadn't been on the job in the last 90 days (New Jersey law).

So we file suit. Things are progressing with the suit, (GC keeps missing depositions and meetings, so things are going slow). 6 months ago a mediator works out an agreement that GC will pay $70,000.00 (owed us $120,000) but that he has to pay it within the week.

Never happens.

This week it appears we're going to court. Lawyer is at the courthouse waiting for a judge. GC asks if there is anyway we can reach a settlement, lawyer tells him to bring a check. GC needs a loan first.

Today they meet with another mediator, who advises us to take the $70,000.00 since GC has nothing. He even offered us two pick up trucks (a '99 and a '00).

Now it appears that GC will be filing bankruptcy since the building hasn't been completed due to all of the issues he had, and the fact that he has nothing now.

OW and BM are mad. They feel like they lost since we'll never collect, and rather than get the $120,000 owed, we may get the $70,000 they couldn't get 6 months ago.

Should make the rest of the week interesting.

Damn, I am sorry to hear about that jerkoff. If he did have issues, then he should have talked to you guys. But idiots, will never learn
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Well I found out some more. He has until Dec 15 to pay. If he doesn't then back into court we go.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
        Well I found out some more. He has until Dec 15 to pay. If he doesn't then back into court we go.
        Don't bet the mortgage money that he will pay. If he didn't made arrangements to settle the debt without a lawsuit, you probably won't see the funds.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

OW has already resigned himself to never getting paid. Now he just wants GC to declare bankruptcy.

Out of spite of course.

Comment

We had that a couple of times when I worked for a window manufacturer. When the client goes bankrupt various government agencies are at the top of the list of debtors and we were way down the list. It took years for any money to reach us and it was something like a tenth of what we were owed, if we got anything at all.
            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Working...
            X