This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Major Suckage (very long rant)

Ok, so here's the deal at the library: If you have fines of $10+, you can't check anything out or do anything else unless it's paid down to $9.99 or less. Yes, there's a whole bunch of people who have paid $.01 to bring their fines to $9.99 so they can check out ... and proceed to rent $10 worth of DVDs, but I digress.

Anyway, the old library software was good, text-based monochrome on dumb terminals, but it worked. It did what it had to do, hence, if you had $10+ in fines, you couldn't check out, you couldn't renew, you couldn't place requests, etc., and you HAD to pay it down or off, or else nothing.

Well, in 2003 we got the new software that, "does everything the old software does ... and more and will save you TONS of time!" Ok, so it was graphical and it looked good, blah blah blah. BUT, of course, they lied and it couldn't be configured like the old software and when we complained about all the things it didn't do, the company claimed, "oh, those are enhanced features," meaning we were paying the generic price and, well, just forget about it, ok?!

Meaning: A Patron can owe us $3620484725.98 and still use the library's online database to place requests on books.

Here's the deal with placing requests. You can do it from home online, using your library card number and PIN, or you can have a librarian do it for you on the phone or at the library. When the request comes in, a postcard is sent to you and you have 12-14 days to pick it up. If you don't pick it up within that time or call to cancel your request, you get charged $1.00 per requested item (so we recoup some postage).

So, one of our patrons who hasn't been in the library for several months apparently placed 30 requests from home. How do I know she placed them from home? Simply by the fact that SHE ALREADY OWED US $70.25 in overdue fines. If she had called in the requests or been in the library, a librarian wouldn't have placed the requests and would have told her that she needed to pay her fines. Another hint was the fact that she had a Address Correction block on her record, which happens by default the first time you place your own requests online. Meaning that we don't even have her correct address information, which is true since she hasn't yet been to the library to pick up the numerous requests that have already shown up and been sitting on the shelf waiting for her.

15 of them have already expired, which means that I've already added $15 in "not picked up" fees, and more requests keep showing up. Now this wouldn't have been so bad if she was a normal thinking person and like, contacted us in some way to say, "hey, I placed a gazillion holds and where's my postcards telling me they're here?" But, no ... she's probably in her own little world, not even remembering that she requested 30 books with the "My First Day at School" theme, all of which are probably irrelevant by now.

In the beginning, I was thinking of sending her a letter to explain that she had already had major overdue fines at the time or requesting the items that are here waiting for her but cannot be checked out to her until she has $9.99 or less in fines, but then I realized we didn't have the correct mailing address for her. As the days went by, I got angry, because how can you spend at least an hour or two online searching for a specific type of book and placing a request on 30 different titles? And then as I was continually adding $1.00 per expired request to her fees, I was getting more and more depressed as I realized that I would have to be the one to explain the entire mess to her, which is her own fault and responsibility, but we all know how that usually goes.

So, yeah ... I'm totally dreading the day she finally(!) comes to the library, definitely unaware of the original $70 in fines, and probably didn't read the online info about the $1.00 charge if you place a request and neglect to pick it up, and she'll probably be there frantically looking for a book that her kid needs for some report that she won't be able to check out because she's in Debt Collection due to owing us over $100 for more than 90 days and didn't receive her bill/notice due to the fact that we don't have her correct address, and I'll hear my name called in that desperate "pleeeeeeeeease help me with this patron" tone.
    I love mankind ... it's people I can't stand. -- Linus Van Pelt

On behalf of all of us who "forgot" to return that book/dvd/cd from 1999

I'm Soooo sorry!

But, yeah you're going to get bogged down by people who don't understand. Don't be too angry, we just don't get out much. Maybe if you could explain it with dragons, we like dragons.

So sayeth ChelsieFrank who has maxed out 4 different library cards but HAS paid all her fines.
    Bitch-Moan-Dog-Puppy-Baby-Pregnant-Bitch-Moan

Comment

As someone who's kids forget to return movies far too frequently... it would be nice if you could at least renew those items that are racking up fines.

Comment

I suppose there's no way for the website to put a block on her either? Maybe send an e-mail? There's gotta be some way to slow her down or she'll end up racking $100+ in fees. The dumbassery of this woman is astounding!

Her response (if she ever does come in): "I didn't know about it" or "that was never there" or "I'm not paying for that" or "It wasn't me!"
        This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Well, you can go to "My Account" on the web site and check to see if you have fines, but it doesn't jump out at you ... it's just one of the options on the web site. It looks as though she just looked up titles and requested them, without doing anything else on the site.

That's why I hate this sucky library software ... what's used by the staff is different than what's available online and they work together only so well. I've reported to the powers that be about this suckage, but never got an answer ... and that was a year or so ago. There's just nothing that can be done about it, and they know it, so they figure if they ignore it, it'll go away. Fortunately for them, it WILL go away, since they work over there and will never have to deal with the SCs on the front lines. They're too far removed from it all, so it's just not an issue for them.

Comment

god so let me get this right your higher ups bought a program that CAN do everything you need but didnt pay for it ACTUALLY do everything you need??? .... can you give out these higher ups information to direct all complaints to them>>

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
              As someone who's kids forget to return movies far too frequently... it would be nice if you could at least renew those items that are racking up fines.
              That's what I love about the library's web site...my library lets you renew twice online, which gets you 6 weeks to read...so if I don't have time/don't feel like going to the library I can just go online and renew...

but then, I've never borrowed DVDs from the library so I don't know if that applies...

hmm, and I didn't know you could max out a library card...
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Well, I'm hoping that when we get the "new" software in 2008 (when our contract runs out for the current software), the company with the cheapest offer (since the state always goes with the lowest bidder, no matter how good the software) will have features that we need and can be configured however we need it to work. Then again, that will mean that we will all need to learn how to navigate an entirely new system, yet again. Hopefully, this one will come with a manual. The one were using now didn't have more than a booklet that explained pretty much nothing.

Comment

Quoth Ill_Used_Heroine View Post
                  (since the state always goes with the lowest bidder, no matter how good the software) .
                  Ok, the trick for government contracts is that you have to get your needed features into the contract. That way, if the software does not do what is required by the contract, that bid is invalid. Find out who writes the contracts and see if you can get those added in the future. At least you'll get the lowest bidder with your features.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Ok, so, the patron has 1 last book on hold for her, that expires next week. One just expired yesterday, so I had to add another $1.00 to her account which is now in Debt Collection to the tune of $99.00.

Still nothing from this patron, and there's nothing on her record that asks for an address correction. My only hope is that she doesn't live here anymore, and I won't have to deal with her when it hits the fan. *sigh*

Comment

Working...
                    X