This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Darkwish View Post
    Ok, dumb question time: what is a blue steak?
    Not a dumb question. Blue steak basically means as rare as can possibly be without being raw. Sear it just enough to get color on each side, and serve. The inside is usually still cold, too!

Not exactly my tastes, but to each their own.

Comment

this guy can be dismissed as an idiot; beef doesn't need to be well done (as most with sense know) but merely reach 140 degrees internal temprature to be cooked well enough to kill bacteria.

i'd have laughed at him after he became abusive and shared that gem with him; i've cooked for too many years not to know this and to be lectured by some ninny looking for an 'easy refund' to take him seriously on any level.

you did your job to a 't,' too bad he was too thick in the head to get the point.

if it's that bad, send it back after you note the problem, not after the meal is effectively gone.

what a JACKASS.
      look! it's ghengis khan!
      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Let me see if I've got this straight:

Customer gets steak.
        Customer starts to eat steak.
        Waiter comes back to check on table, customer says nothing.
        Customer finishes steak.
        Bill comes, now steak (which was totally consumed) was unsatisfactory.

Anybody else see something wrong with this picture?

Comment

I like my steak medium (pinkish-red, not running with blood) and I HAVE asked waiters to take steak back that is a bit too rare for my taste, but i do it politely, without making a scene, and i almost always get what i ask for, minus the dwama !

Once i made a boo-boo in a restaurant in Toulouse, and ordered foie gras (instead of pate de foie gras) and ended up with a piece of rare liver on my plate....um, that was NOT nice. I mean, we are talking bleeding rare liver. Ugh. BUT the outside was amazing, almost caramelised and delicious, so I ate as much of it as didn't turn my stomach, and just left the rest quietly on my plate.
          A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
          - Dave Barry

Comment

Has anyone here ever gotten a refund at a restaurant?

I have gotten one at Mickey Ds once but a sitdown place? Never, usually it's a free desert or comped drinks or some other break on the bill.
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post

I have gotten one at Mickey Ds once but a sitdown place? Never, usually it's a free desert or comped drinks or some other break on the bill.
              I've gotten refunds twice. Once was after I bit down on a tiny piece of metal wire in some cooked spinach and the other time was after I found a sliver of plastic in a taco.

Both times, I brought it to the attention of the manager so they could make sure there wasn't more before someone got hurt. I didn't want them to refund me either time, but they insisted on it.
              Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

I did, at this one place that we now refer to as "Raw Chicken Surprise." Because I ordered a chicken sandwich that turned out to be raw in the middle, and when I bit into it, boy was I surprised! Raw chicken has such a gross texture.

I freaked out, quite loudly, and the manager came out to see what was wrong. I guess she was so afraid of getting sued, that she brought out the cook to apologize to us personally, had her make me a new sandwich, comped our entire order, and told us we could also have anything else we wanted for free.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I very rarely send food back, as I'll eat just about anything, and I like to try new things, so if I order something and don't like it, I consider it my own damn fault. Only once did I have an actual "send it back" moment- I had ordered a chicken dish at a reasonably upscale restaurant, and it came out completely pink. Like they had sauced and garnished it without it ever touching a heat source. When the waiter came by, I showed him the chicken, with an "I hate to complain..." (because I do, I try not to be sucky), and his eyes went wide, he started apologizing profusely, took the plate away, asked if I wanted another type of dish (I guess if the chicken had grossed me out to much to try again with the same dish), and assured me they would not be recooking that piece, but starting entirely from scratch.
                  The manager came over in under a minute and offered to comp both my entree and my husband's, along with free dessert and any app I wanted so my husband wouldn't be eating while I was waiting. I explained that I didn't need any of that (but it was appreciated), I was fine with having a new dish brought out. No problem. I thanked them for being so concerned, but it really wasn't a big deal. After the manager left, the waiter basically said they wanted to do more for us because I wasn't a jerk about it. In the end, they ended up doing all that they offered, we tipped the waiter the regular tip plus most of the price my entree would have been, and we go back there all the time. I just don't see how people think throwing fits will get them more. Most managers and staff are perfectly happy to try to accomodate someone with a valid problem who presents it reasonably and calmly.

Comment

You actually gave your name and number to call your manager? that was a really bad move. People like should not be catered to in any fashion and should be laughed out of the building.

Comment

Wait...he said it ordered it medium (still pink in the middle) but insisted that a steak has to be cooked thoroughly in order to be safe? Hmmm...the stupider get stupider. Hope your manager sees things the same way!

Comment

Damn. He was probably upset that the salad was raw, too.
                        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I think we got out of an Outback for free the one time me, my mom, and granddad went there. Not a one of us could eat the food, it was so heavily spiced. I don't quite remember though.
                          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

4 times that I can think of.

1. Hoss's Steak house. Food was good, waitress was poor. Manager asked "how was everything" when we paid, she politely told him how bad she was, he gave a discount.

2. Applebees. Took over an hour to get food, two plates didn't come till much later, one person's was cold.

3. Chili's. Our food came out in 5 minutes (cool) our appetizer showed up 15 minutes later. We told the girl who brought our dinner "uh, we ordered an appetizer" the manager came out a few minutes later and comped 1/2 our meal.

4. TGI Fridays. We were in a hurry, ordered burgers (my wife's 1st burger in years after the last one gave her food poisoning). They were so salty I thought I was being cured for a sea trip.

I asked for the manager and told him about it. He offered to make us something else, but like I said, no time to wait. He comped the whole damn meal for the both of us.

I choked down like 1/2 my burger because I was hungry, she stopped at like 2 bites. It was terrible.

Comment

I can remember two instances.

The first one was awhile ago, when I was in my teens. Family went to Chi-Chi's, and my sister found a round solid object in her food. Didn't know what it was, looked like a thin slice of tomato. My mom brought it up with the waitress, and a few minutes later, the manager came over, told us what it was (a cardboard piece from the food shipping crate), and not only comped my sister's meal, but gave us free fried ice cream (*drool*).

The only other one was when me and my wife went out, can't remember the place, but I ordered a chicken breast. When I got it, it was only cooked on the outside, the inside was still red and frozen. I got my meal replaced and comped.

Comment

I honestly can't remember ever getting a meal comped, but then I'm always satisfied as long as the problem gets fixed. In fact, I usually make a suggestion...cook the steak a little longer, throw the cheese on top of an omelette that was made cheeseless, stuff like that. I simply want what I ordered, how I ordered it, and I'll be patient with people who make mistakes so long as they don't make a fuss about having to fix it.
                                It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Working...
                                X