This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
    Not to defend this idiot, but sometimes offers are extended. Our manager's "March Madness" special typically gets extended to April 15th.
    You're right, of course. It's reasonable to ask if there's an extension on the offer. But only if one does it in a polite tone, and once one's told "no", to accept that. If you don't do that, than you're an SC.
    "Have muck knowledge, but no certainties. Live. I am sorry, Sorianna." -Gverion

Check out my DeviantArt Site
    Or my Webcomic!

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
      I always read his lines in a completely deadpan tone of voice.
      Er, me too. Anyone else?

Is that actually how you talk them, Dave?

Comment

It always amazes me how often people seem to use the 'I can't afford it' line and expect sympathy... when dealing with luxuries.

Okay... if your car breaks down, and you need it to get to work, but you can't afford the repairs? Saying 'I can't afford it, can you do anything to help' might get you some sympathy, and get them to work out a deal.

If your kid needs braces, but your medical doesn't cover it, and you tell the Dentist 'I can't afford it, can you do anything to help' might get you some sympathy, and get them to work out a deal.

If your water heater explodes, and if you're between jobs, and you say 'I can't afford it, can you do anything to help' might get you some sympathy, and get them to work out a deal.

These are necessities. These are costs you can't do anything about, and if you're genuinely in a fix, people will tend to help you.

If you go to a resort, demand beachfront and 5 star accomodations, then say 'I can't afford it, can you do anything to help'... you will get laughed at.

This is a vacation. This is a luxury, that you earn by saving up for it, careful planning and budgetting, and finding something within your means. If you can't afford it... tough. Your world will not end, your children will not starve and your parents will not die of testicular cancer (Yes, both of them) if you don't get exactly the vacation you decided on.

Parents... every time your child whines for a toy or treat they haven't earned, and you cave to shut them up? THIS is what you're creating.
        Check out my webcomic!

Comment

I also love the "my/our vacation is RUINED" line, especially when it's followed by "because of you!"

This is because of two reasons:

1) I'm a tough, evil, arrogent, cruel, and (I'd like to think) genuinely amusing bastard, and ruining someone's vacation makes the vindictive part of me titter like a school girl.

2) Most of the times I've heard that line, it's because they're asking for something stupid. "You won't break Colorado law and serve me alcohol after 2am? My vacation is RUINED because of YOU!"

I'm starting to wonder when someone will notice that I'm not paying attention once they start yelling (I keep about 10% keyed in until they start to get to making their point)...

And btw, I always picture VRS as a male version of the receptionist from Ghost Busters..."WHADDAYA WANT!?"
          "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
          "What IS fun to fight through?"
          "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth Polenicus View Post
            It always amazes me how often people seem to use the 'I can't afford it' line and expect sympathy... when dealing with luxuries.
            My parents were dirt poor, yet we still went on vacation. That was the *only* trip we went on every year. Because we only went once a year, they were able to save up for it. Even so, they never said that we couldn't afford it.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth chinashirtgirl View Post
              That line gets me every time!
              Agreed, I always have this desire to steeple my fingers and croak out, "Exxxxcellent!" whenever someone tells me I ruined their <insert ridiculous claim here>. "My evil plan succeeded."
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                I also love the "my/our vacation is RUINED" line, especially when it's followed by "because of you!"

2) Most of the times I've heard that line, it's because they're asking for something stupid. "You won't break Colorado law and serve me alcohol after 2am? My vacation is RUINED because of YOU!"
                Heck we used to get that ALL the time when I worked at the gas station. in the township/village where I worked we stopped selling alcohol 9pm. do not know why but that is what we did. city ordiance 3 of the surrounding villages went until midnight. sooo many times at 10pm or 11pm

SC tries to literally break open the locked beer doors on the cooler
                sorry no beer sales after 9pm
                WHY?????
                Village ordiance
                Well that is stupid. you (meaning me personally) are just ruining the tourist trade in this town. I want your name and I am going to get YOU fired.
                (I did not do this one but I wish I had)
                OK I will sell you beer. the total will be $30,000
                $30,000????? that is outragious
                THat may wel be but the price includes the price of me getting fired, fined and jailed for breaking the law. and I would like that in small bills please.
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                  And btw, I always picture VRS as a male version of the receptionist from Ghost Busters..."WHADDAYA WANT!?"
                  damn you... now every time I read one of VRS's posts I'll hear him as a deeper voiced version of the receptionist from Ghost Busters... not even hearing his real voice will break that now

oh I also love the ruined vacation line... if I had a dollar for every vacation I ruined when I worked at the call center and wouldn't give people free upgrade to ocean view in San Diego or Times Square view in New York... or at my current job, all the people who's stay has been "ruined" because they wanted a mountain view and a room away from the freeway... ok, the mountains are to the east of the hotel... the freeway is the the east of the hotel... pray tell, how do you get a room facing the mountain without also facing the freeway... yes, I'll wait, I wanna hear this
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Sorianna View Post
                    You're right, of course. It's reasonable to ask if there's an extension on the offer. But only if one does it in a polite tone, and once one's told "no", to accept that. If you don't do that, than you're an SC.
                    Agreed. I can't recall hearing of an SC taking 'NO' for an answer.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                    X