Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hang on while I make them magically appear for you.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hang on while I make them magically appear for you.

One of the many things I hate about answering phones: people who refuse to believe the person they want is not available. Just now I had a conversation I've had many times before.

Me: *spiel*

SC: I need to speak to (person).

Me: *transfers call to person's extension*

---30 seconds later, phone rings again---

Me: *spiel*

SC: Yeah, I just called for (person) and you transferred me, but I just got his voicemail.

Me: Okay, well, did you leave a message?

SC: No, I need to speak to him now!

Me: Well, apparently, (person) is not in his office or is unavailable to answer. I'm sure if you'll leave a voice mail he will return your call soon.

SC: I need to speak to him NOW.

Me: I understand, but he is not available.

SC: Give me his cell phone number!

Me: No.

SC: When will he be back?!

Me: I don't know, but if you ---

SC: THIS IS RIDICULOUS! *hangs up*

No, sir. YOU are ridiculous. I'd just love to magically make people appear in their offices whenever it's convenient for you, but gee golly, I've somehow misplaced my magic wand.
    "Thank God for the idiots: but for them, the rest of us could not succeed." ~Mark Twain

SC: Give me his cell phone number!
    My answer: "As per my orders, I am only allowed to give you his cellphone number if you can prove to me that you are a blood relative"

Comment

Quoth It shouldn't View Post
      My answer: "As per my orders, I am only allowed to give you his cellphone number if you can prove to me that you are a blood relative"
      I have blood relatives that I do NOT want having my cell phone number! Safer to say that his work extension is the only number you have for him.
      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Unfortunately, in this situation, the stock answer of "I'm sorry, but I can't just pull him out of my ass' would probably give the wrong impression.
        ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

I suggest investing in the technology to send an electrical shock through the phone line. I hear they are close to completing it.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
            I have blood relatives that I do NOT want having my cell phone number!
            So does my son. In fact, my son's so-called mother got a hold of his cell phone number, and wouldn't leave him alone. He practically begged me to get it changed.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

And people ask me why i refuse to own a cell phone.

Comment

Quoth Zhctiwt View Post
                I suggest investing in the technology to send an electrical shock through the phone line. I hear they are close to completing it.
                The only ATHF I ever liked was the start that had Release teh phone spiders!"

I want phone spiders!

Comment

I went through this ALL the time when I was volunteering at the food bank.
                  One day I actually had a woman call 11 times (I had to start counting after five) looking for someone. The think is, though, she didn't call 11 times over the span of my shift, she called 11 times during the span of half an hour.
                  Eventually I just picked up the phone and when I heard her voice said, "They're not in. They're not going to be in when you call back in two minutes, they're not going to be in when you call back in five minutes. They're not going to be in for the rest of the day. You HAVE to leave them a messag and you HAVE to wait for them to call you back. I have other calls I need to take, please leave a message and stop calling every few minutes." Then I transferred her and hung up.
                  Never did hear back from her.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                    I have blood relatives that I do NOT want having my cell phone number! Safer to say that his work extension is the only number you have for him.
                    We all have relatives like that. I have one uncle who's harder to find than Waldo...and that's a good thing!

Quoth alacazar View Post
                    And people ask me why i refuse to own a cell phone.
                    I only acquired one because, the Mrs. all but demanded it. I have a pre-paid plan and mostly add airtime only because of the deadline to add or lose the service.

My CW's never give each others' numbers. We get enough sucky wack-jobs calling the office line.

My favorite:
                    L: Lady (I'm being charitable) caller
                    Me: Obvious

Me: Thank you for calling [Big Chain] Tax Service, Where may I direct your call?
                    L: Put Tyrone on! [Note the office was empty except for Yours Truly and I have no CW's by that name]
                    Me: I'm sorry there is no Tyrone here.
                    L: Tyrone, told me he lives at this number.
                    Me: Ma'am, this is a tax office--there are no residents.
                    L: So why did he tell me he lives there?
                    Me: I have no idea. You'll have to take that matter up with Tyrone. Have you done your taxes yet?
                    -CLICK-
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                      When I was in grad school I had to teach a class. One day when I wasn't around, one of the students went to the department office and asked the secretary for my phone number. The secretary gave the student my cell phone number, and the student started calling me to beg me not to fail her. This was not the best way to my heart, as the student quickly found out.
                      "Thank God for the idiots: but for them, the rest of us could not succeed." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X