X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG, they're turning on each other

Story #1:
    My store is known for selling furniture in boxes which you take home, and then assemble it yourself. For some items, the only practical way to package them is to put them in 2 or more boxes. If a customer is buying a multi-box item, they have to have all the boxes, or they simply can't assemble it. It's usually very clearly marked, but customers sometimes miss that info and bring just 1 of the 2 boxes. As a cashier, it's our job to make sure they have all the pieces.

So one day, a customer comes to my cash with only box #1. She's with her teenaged daughter.

Me: Hi. This dresser actually comes in 2 boxes, so you'll need to go back and pick up number 2. But I'll finish the transaction first, so you won't have to wait in line again

Daughter: (to her mother) OH MY GOD!!! I told you we needed both boxes!

She rambled on a little bit and her mother eventually chimed in

Mother: Oh, I though the number on the box told us the number of handles on it (or something like that. I can't quite remember what she said.)

So they pay, go back and get box number 2. All was good. I just couldn't believe that girl would speak to her mother that way.

Story #2: Stuck in an infinite loop.

Our store has somewhat recently introduced a loyalty card. To be used, it needs to be swiped at the start of your transaction . This trips some people up at our self scan lines.

So a customer is having some trouble with her card. I go over to help her and it works. Then, instead of scanning her stuff, she hit the "Finish and Pay" button, which immediately ends the transaction if nothing has been scanned in. So the system closes the transaction and she's back where she started. So she starts again, swipes the card, and then hits Finish and Pay again. She did this 3 times before her husband came over.

H: No, don't press that button, just start scanning!

He sounded a little annoyed in his tone of voice, but otherwise, they finished without incident.

This is hopeful. Maybe once they all turn on each other, they'll kill each other off.

Then we can release them back into the wild, because now they only eat rat.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Ah. The "Meatball Store".

I was sitting there waiting for my wife to bring the cart around (the flat-pack was a little larger than we expected) and there was this one woman who was getting the same thing we were getting. A large three-box entertainment center.

Not being concerned as there is a metric farq-ton of them on the pallet I stood aside and let the woman grab the box. The box marked "2". And she started walking away.

Now trying once more to overcome my deep-rooted cynicism and sarcasm, I tried to get the woman's attention (success there) and to explain that she needed "1" and "3" as well to have the complete set (failure).

She said that it was a way to get three times the money from customers, I pointed out the sign that said that it was $199 for all three boxes which make up the completed unit. To no avail.

So with my "Give a fuck" quota for the day reached, I gave up and let her go to the checkout. The cashier explained that she needed the other two boxes and assured her that the price was for the completed unit regardless if it fit into one, two, three or more boxes. But that you needed them all.

She screeched like a harpy and ranted and raved and screeched some more about how everyone was trying to screw her over.

By this time the missus arrives and I pack all three boxes of the unit onto it and we head to checkout. No longer being the nice guy and letting slip the asshole of war that resides within, I head to the lane next to hers.

With exaggerated volume (and a little bit of ham-level acting) I asked "So! This is $199 for the kit of all three boxes and not $199 for each correct?" The cashier smirked and equally loudly (though sadly not with nearly as much ham as I put into my lines - props for the attempt though) states "Yes indeed sir! That's $199 for everything on your cart!".

This catches the notice of the woman who recognizes me and she starts screeching even more about how I'm somehow getting some miracle sort of discount and they're trying to rip off an old lady just because they can.

At this point we finish our transaction and leave to load the crap into the car, leaving to the strains of a old and cranky woman who is still flatly refusing to listen to reason and is swearing at people far worse than I've heard since my days living base (Camp Lejune) with my Father.

I'm amazed she didn't blow a vein.
      I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post

Not being concerned as there is a metric farq-ton of them on the pallet I stood aside and let the woman grab the box. The box marked "2". And she started walking away.
        This is what I don't get. When customers only pick up 1 box, they always, always, ALWAYS pick up number 2... The one without the barcode.

Anyway, that woman sounds like a total bitch. I've never had anyone get upset over having to get more pieces.

Comment

An SC will always find the one produce item in the bin/shelf that doesn't have either a PLU sticker or working barcode (if it's a PLU, it's never something easy; "an apple" doesn't help...6 of the 10 varieties look alike to me).

When something like this happens, I've taken to ringing up the most expensive one on the list...if they don't want to tell me what it is, that's their problem.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Garden Center at Mart of Walls always has this problem. The patio furniture often comes in two to three boxes... and people will almost always grab one, the largest one, thinking it's the full set.

Nooo, I'm sorry, that's JUST THE TABLE. The other box has the chairs and the third the umbrella. Yes, the price covers all three boxes (I worked in old farts central and it was full of seniles whose sole purpose remaining in their lives was to rant at anyone they could.) No, I have no problem calling for a carry out. Wait, it won't fit in your car, because you thought it was just the one big box (that wouldn't fit in their car anyways!)...

Either way, never ended very well. Lots of ranting and even more once I got to the break room. But again, these were senile retirees who were just looking for a reason to rage. I almost felt sorry for them.. they couldn't afford Florida so they came to Hell's Waiting Room instead.
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth BuryMe View Post
              This is what I don't get. When customers only pick up 1 box, they always, always, ALWAYS pick up number 2... The one without the barcode.
              Yeah, that's never ceased to puzzle the @#$% out of me either.

Anyway, that woman sounds like a total bitch. I've never had anyone get upset over having to get more pieces.
              Keep reading Customer's Suck and you start to realize that you've been lucky thus far.
              I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

I have been buying peices that require assembly for many a year now. MOST of the time it will say right on the BOX : BOX 1 of 2 in big bold font

Heck when I bough an huge entertainment center about 10 years ago there were 3 boxes. I made sure and get all three.
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                  Then we can release them back into the wild, because now they only eat rat.
                  Skyfall reference for the win

And I miss living only 10 miles from a "meatball" store
                  some of my best furniture is from there (seriously, the stuff from Tarjay and Voldemart just don't stack up).
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Helsinki doesn't have one of those...

...but Espoo and Vantaa, both of which are right next door, *do*.

Comment

Working...
                    X