This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Ceir View Post
    A quick note to anyone who has written or ever will write a password generator: do not make it spit out passwords in a sans-serif font. If you must use a sans-serif font, passwords should not be able to contain any combination of I, l, and |.

You are why I used to send all my emails in Courier.
    (So full of RAGE)

And while we're at it, make that zero-with-a-line-through-it the standard, so people stop confusing it for a capital O.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
      ... make that zero-with-a-line-through-it the standard...
      Sometimes it's GOOD to be a slasher.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

There is a certain schadenfreude and/or irony in playing the "no, this process is mandatory to maintain audit and security compliance. No matter how much you whine," card on guys from Legal.
        Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
        They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
          Banking sites are almost universal in having session cookies that time out and trying to reload the page after expiration is just... not going to work.
          I recently found EIGHT instances open in task manager...I think I fixed it it in preferences, but time will tell. Luckily that particular screen terrifies her so I know that she will not start playing around with it (it's not something that can be fiddled with in the Options menu).

IIRC her laptop got that Microsoft patch that wound up slowing the CPU down...so it's not that I "won't" fix everything being slow, there are certain aspects that I really can't.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

My file server just died, and died hard. (Not quite literal flaming death, but it looks like the magic smoke got let out of something important.) I guess it's lucky I just got another machine of roughly-similar specs a few months ago, but I had plans for that machine, and I won't really have the time to move the drives over and get everything back up-n-running again until the weekend. Dammit dammit dammit. Grr.
            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Beg screens begging me to turn off my ad blocker can fuck themselves gently with a porcupine.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                Beg screens begging me to turn off my ad blocker can fuck themselves gently with a porcupine.
                I block the beg screens as well.

Comment

I finally got around to checking my dead server out this weekend. Results: either dead CPU or dead motherboard. Sigh. I don't exactly have a spare of either to check, so the "no server" situation will continue for a while longer. (At least the power supply appears to be good.)
                  Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                  OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                  she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                  Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Please set up server204 and server205 as a paired set-up for me.

"Don't you mean server203 and server204?"

Well, the guy who is in charge of the QA group that uses those told me 204 and 205, but as long as I get a paired set-up I really don't give a shit about which ones it is. Just make them work, OK?

One month later:
                    Can I have server204 and server205 as a paired system again?

"Don't you mean server203 and server204?"

... Here we go again?? At this rate, I won't be able to run the tests that I'm being asked to run until next week. Good thing I left several days padding in the schedule...
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

For the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, can you PLEASE look at the desk beside you for the sparkly new phone that I just installed as per your request and our conversation?

You are a DETECTIVE after all.....

I'm glad I've moved out of this city.

<wibble>

B
                      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                      I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Every time a customer complains about how long an issue has taken to resolve I'm tempted to check and reply back to them detailing how long we've been waiting on them.

CIO: This has taken a month to resolve!

*Checking ticket*

Well yes, maybe because your people took a two week siesta right off the bat, and then later took another half a week at least...
                        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

So, evidently one of our VM deployment scripts starts using IPv6 addresses when it runs out of v4 addresses in whatever block it is assigned.

But the parts of the script that actually do the setup don't speak IPv6. So the deploy halfway succeeds... Great.
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

A quick WTF from today:

Me: For this flavor of linux, we support only these three kernel versions: 4, 5, 6. Please install a supported kernel, then you'll be able to install our agent.
                            Customer: Okay I will get back to you.

-A few days pass-

Customer: *Sends uname and os-release output* As you can see I updated to the latest kernel, 10. How can I install your agent?

Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I've warned you repeatedly about using your laptop palm rest as a coaster/coffee cup holder, even moreso since the warranty expired. Since you refuse to listen and continue to complain to me about laptop issues that I literally can do NOTHING about (and I have explained why in excruciating detail), I am no longer supporting this thing for free.
                              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

"It keeps saying 'incorrect username or password,' but I'm entering the right password!"

I mean, clearly it's not the right password; I've had to unlock your account five times already.
                                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                                X