This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer hypocrisy

I just love it when it happens. Don't you?

I'm training a new worker, who has a habit of carding everyone. It's his job, only when they look under 30, but he is carding everyone, regardless of age. Not a totally big deal, since we all rather be safe then sorry.

He cards a older lady, who takes a second to get her ID. The lady behind her bitchs LOUDLY then she should have had her ID ready all the time blah blah. The first lady looks embrassed, but gets her cigs and leaves. The second lady comes up. Ask for cigs. When asked for her OWN ID, boy does she bitch. She's old enough gosh darn it she yells, but she has NO ID on her at all. The new guy doesn't sell. The lady bitchs more, but storms out yelling she'll never shop here.

Seriously, who bitchs about others not having ID, but doesnt have one herself.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLES?!?!?!?!?

Seriously...who are these people? What's their home life like? Dating status?

::sigh::

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
      storms out yelling she'll never shop here.
      She'll be back.

They always come back.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
        She'll be back.
        But she still won't bring her ID.
        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

What irritates me are these children playing adult. If they think they're old enough to use a credit card and buy smokes they need to start acting like it.
          I had two yesterday. One hands me a credit card and her id. Ok, she's 18 (barely) but it's not her card. It belongs to girl #2 who goes out and spends a good 5 minutes finding her ID only to find she's 16.
          Cue the "But the smokes are for me and *I'm* 18" argument.

It was all I could do NOT to roll my eyes at them and tell them to come back when they grow up.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
          ~Clerks

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
            She'll be back.

They always come back.
            This same universal constant holds true in the hobbyshop as well.
            Check out my cosplay social group!
            http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

I remember when I first worked at my current grocery cashier job (we too have an under 30 we ID rule) and sometimes (because I wasn't very good at judging ages) ended up carding people in their 40s. But my judgement seems to have improved quite a bit. I just wish that guy who keeps trying to use a "expired 2006" ID (that's way out of state and stapled together like he found it on the parking lot) would quit whining that the "other clerk let's me use it" and one time he even tried to get 4-5 of his friends one at a time to buy the cigs for him! :P

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post
                What irritates me are these children playing adult. If they think they're old enough to use a credit card and buy smokes they need to start acting like it.
                I had two yesterday. One hands me a credit card and her id. Ok, she's 18 (barely) but it's not her card. It belongs to girl #2 who goes out and spends a good 5 minutes finding her ID only to find she's 16.
                Cue the "But the smokes are for me and *I'm* 18" argument.

It was all I could do NOT to roll my eyes at them and tell them to come back when they grow up.
                Why does a 16 year old have a credit card. I know you could get one under your parent's account but seriously? My parents would not have let me do that and I didn't get one until I was 21 because I wasn't sure of myself.
                How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Our store now has signs posted with an "under 40" rule. Thing is, our store actually cards everyone, regardless of apparent age. The signs are a corporate thing and the carding everyone is a store thing, since we lost our license once and heads will roll if something happens again.

Even still, why must people always get so bent out of shape? I've seen 40-somethings look 17 and 20-year-olds look mid-40s. Faces are not a true gauge of age.
                  A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

You shoulda made fun of her.
                    Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                      Even still, why must people always get so bent out of shape? I've seen 40-somethings look 17 and 20-year-olds look mid-40s. Faces are not a true gauge of age.
                      its true that kids these days are trying to look older then they are for what ever reason....and adults are trying to regain their youth for all the stupid shit they did when they were younger...

I'm a HARD one to get things on age past...you can hide your face behind makeup, and other thigns....but your irises and bone structure can't lie.

EVeryone knows of the expression "the eyes are the windows to the soul" right? Well it has some truth behind it...when I was in massage school I had some informal training in idirology...the study of the iris and how it reflects the inner workings of the body.

2 stories worth noting...

Was working late second shift at a grocery store, and I would always joke with the regulars who were older...saying things like "you SURE your old enough to be buying this..." they always took it in good stride with a laugh and a smile.
                      One night I'm working and an older gentleman comes in...never seen him a day before in my life, and beyond "hi how are you? and will that be all tonight?" had never talked to him in my life. He buys some cigerettes and of course I ask the question with a smile and a laugh and he looks at me and grins back and asks...
                      "young lady how old do you think I am?"
                      I look him straight in the eye, and say..."your....54..."
                      "I just turned 54 last week...incredible. How'd you know that?"
                      now...I didn't ask for his ID he looked to be maybe in his late 50s...half bald gray and silver hair, more wrinkles then me after a night in bed with the dogs...um...ignore that comment... >.> well I respond accordingly..."well sir, I looked at your eyes and they told me."
                      "Well thats interesting...what else do they tell you?"
                      well I look at his iris a little closer...looking at both of them...and say "well I see spots in your liver area...you've been having trouble in this part of your body..." I turn slightly and indicate the upper middle part of my own back...
                      He bolted out of there quickly with his things but not before he said.."yeah I been fighting cancer there all year!"

Now that shook me up...I mean all I did was answer what he asked me...didn't know I'd be THAT accurate. I was off the next few days, but I got a call next day that said the guy had come back demanding to see me, apperently he had been to the doctor and had been told that day that the cancer they said was in remission was back...he just wanted to know how i knew
                      It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

I'm 34 and I have been asked for ID a good half dozen times in the last couple of months (I don't buy cigarettes, but wine and beer once in a while). Once the guy almost would not take it because he thought it had to be a fake ID! I wasn't sure whether to take that as a compliment or what

Then there's the woman who started working at the same new job as me, who is 26, looks 40, and acts 14. She's just lovely.

Comment

Quoth dekydrose View Post
                          WHO ARE THESE PEOPLES?!?!?!?!?

Seriously...who are these people? What's their home life like? Dating status?

::sigh::
                          [sarcasm] I'm sure their dance card is full!!! Dates every night! [/end sarcasm]
                          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth katie kaboom View Post
                            But she still won't bring her ID.
                            Well, what fun would THAT be?
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I've carded people who look way over the age at times.

Some people bitch that I card them "EVERY SINGLE TIME" well... I've wanted to tell people this to their face for a long time but I'd be fired in a heartbeat.

"I'm paid to card people who look to be under our carding age. I'm not paid to memorize faces"

Comment

Working...
                              X