This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting about useless IT jerk

I sent out an email to a wide distro that had the subject line "Problem with [process]/[system]". I got a lot of push-back from someone who maintains [system].

There turned out to be multiple problems on many layers of this thing, some of which were dealt with where I had no visibility. Then we had an announcement that all was fixed, only to have everything fail when I tried it again.

Which eventually led to an email that I have not responded to.... Except here.

If you read thru the thread, you will see I referred several Times to [other party]’s name. He was already in the distro of the eMail thread.

And he hasn't responded... I wonder why?

In the one Year after we inherited this environment which came with 0 documentation, I have added additional storage to overcome the shortage of storage, bloated it to accommodate some 400 users when it was originally designed for 100 and it has only been fully stable for the last 2 Months or so.

System bloat? OMG, say it isn't so--that has never happened in the whole history of software development or IT!!!!

No documentation? Suck it up, buttercup, because there is never any documentation. And when it's there, it's either outdated or outright wrong anyway. That is part of the damned job.

Unlike you, I support 600+ engineers across the spectrum in [site], [site], [site], [site], [site] and [site] … and when I see just one user having problems while none others do, I typically try to find the issue outside of the environment lest I impact the users who do not have any issues.

Funny, there were six other people saying "+1" or "me too" earlier in the email thread, plus others I have talked to face-to-face which have the same problem. But it's only me, right?

And six hundred users??? Wow, that sounds a lot like your fucking job, asshat! I could say "unlike you, I write software that is used directly by hundreds of people and indirectly by hundreds of thousands", but I'm not going to beat my chest about it because that's my fucking job.

Perhaps you should look into an easier career than IT if you can't cope with users?

I could ask you the same question as you .. when did I say you are blaming [organization]?

When you sniped back about the subject line "problem with [process]/[system]" being a misrepresentation and whined that it had nothing to do with your organization.

No, I am no longer frustrated … frustration left me back in 1979 when I got my honorable discharge as a Captain, with a hole in my hip. As long as I put in my effort with conviction, I leave the outcome to someone way up above me. It helps prevent all kinds of frustration.

So you're an old whiny bitch, congratulations. I'm amazed you made it as far as Captain with that can't-do attitude.
    Last edited by Nunavut Pants; 06-08-2018, 09:52 PM.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

"Someone said my prize software wasn't perfect, so I must take that as a personal attack and whine about it"
    Ugh. Drama much?
    It's software that's being adapted to conditions it wasn't designed for. Shit happens. You either adapt something or get something else that will do the job.

As to the retired Captain... I can only hope the whiny came after service, if only for the sake of the troops under his ass.

Comment

it's not called Brainworks, is it?
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Nope, one of our internal tools.
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
          Nope, one of our internal tools.
          The program or the programmer?

I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Some other news I heard recently:

The company bought a bunch of servers that were, in part, intended to alleviate the sort of issues that I have been having. This guy's group have been sitting on those servers for FIFTEEN MONTHS without installing them. I don't know if they're still in the boxes, or what, but they have been paid for and are sitting there and have never been used.

There's incompetence, and then there's just pure obstructionism. I'm thinking there's more than a little of the latter going on....

Comment

Sitting on expensive servers for 15 months without installing them... I hope upper management has been told of this waste of company money and time. It would be fun to be a fly on the wall as a few heads are sent rolling down the hall.

Comment

He is Mordac, Preventer of Information Services

Comment

Working...
                X