X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tried the fuse?

Have you tried plugging it in?

So, I’m sitting at my desk in tech today, and we don’t really have much work to do, which is not unusual for a Friday. Even “while you wait” jobs are slow on days like that.

The phone on my desk starts to ring. It’s not my phone, it’s just one of the two non-portable phones we have in the department has been placed on my desk. Our phones are pretty clever. If it’s an internal call, it will come up on the display, for example “Tech 202 calling” if it’s a call from the call centre it says “Branch call handling” and if it’s a call on the direct line it says “Ex Directory line” if it’s ex directory, we don’t answer it since customers should not have that number, staff, field techs and staff relatives all have the number for “The hotline” (a plane phone plugged into the network with its own direct number)

The display reads “Branch call handling” so I pick it up, as they are usually calls of customers enquiring about booked jobs

BCH: Branch Call handleing
    SC: Stupid customer
    Me: Tech toying with the idea of shooting himself during this call

Me: Hello. Tech.
    BCH: Hiya. This is cock breath calling from branch call. I’ve got a customer, Mr. Fuckwitt on the phone who has a technical question with a computer that he purchased a year ago
    Me: The you shouldn’t be calling here. You should put him through to in home technical support
    BCH: So you’re not a tech person?
    Me: I am, yes, but I am in the tech centre in a store. You should be putting him through to home tech support
    BCH: Ok, hold on one second
    Me: Fine
    BCH: Hi. Mr. Fuckwitt? I’m going to put you through to the branch now
    Me: Don’t You-
    SC: Hello?
    Me: *going to kill someone now* Hi. How can I help?
    SC: my computer won’t power up.
    Me: you really should be calling in home tech support. I can give you some basics though. Whats the trouble with it exactly?
    SC: there’s just no display when I press the power button
    Me: do any lights come on?
    SC: Nope
    Me: When you press the button, do you hear the fans rev loudly for a second, then spin down to a normal speed?
    SC: No, it’s just dead
    Me: Right, I know this sounds silly but are you sure it’s plugged in? Not been accidentally unplugged?
    SC: I’m an electrician, mate. Give me a bit more credit than that
    Me: fair enough. Have you checked the fuse in the plug?

(all plugs in the UK are fitted with a fuse ranging between 1am and 13. Computers are usually 5)

SC: the what now?
    Me: The fuse. You know, little piece of thin wire encased in ceramic, sits in the plug and protects you from the computer bursting into flames?
    SC: I’ve been an electrician for 20 years. There are no fuses in plugs
    Me: yes, there is.
    SC: Young man, how dare you insult my intelligence
    Me: Listen, I grew up around an electronics engineer and an electrician. I happen to know what I am talking about. Go to B&Q, buy yourself a pack of 5amps and change the fuse in the plug.
    SC: THERE IS NO FUSE IN THE PLUG!
    Me: un-plug it, look on the under-side of the plug
    SC: Ok, done that
    Me: now, you see that removable panel that says “Fuse access” ?
    SC: ...Yeeeeaaaah?
    Me: *Grinning now*pull it open. Now do you see the little white thing that says “5Amps. Conforms to british standard BSXXXX?”
    SC: You’ve made your point. Where did you say to get them from?
    Me: B&Q is as gooder place as any. They are on the same retail park we are
    SC: *Hangs up*
    Ade: The fuck was that about?
    Me: some electrician didn’t know there are fuses in plugs
    Ade: Twat

anyone want to translate the ade-ese to english? lol
    -The one, The Only, AdvancedFlea-

Stick that in your blog and smoke it.

A guide for customers about retail

What a Twit.

I edit my post! I edit my post! According to Wiki, "Twat" is something more vulgar then idiot!
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
      I edit my post! I edit my post! According to Wiki, "Twat" is something more vulgar then idiot!
      I'm well aware of what the meaning is but it's not meant like that over here

Comment

"it is understood in American English (and elsewhere including Britain)"

uh-huh, right. Well, don't believe everything you read online anyways. I didn't even know it was meant for that and I'm a *ahem* fiend.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

"it is understood in American English (and elsewhere including Britain)"

uh-huh, right. Well, don't believe everything you read online anyways. I didn't even know it was meant for that and I'm a *ahem* fiend.
          Yeah, it's UNDERSTOOD to mean part of a womans bits, but we generally use it over here when someone is being...well..a twat.

Comment

I use the British meaning to, despite being a evil Yank.

Comment

Quoth Kalga View Post
              I use the British meaning to, despite being a evil Yank.
              Huzzah! thou shalt be converted! >D

Comment

You'll never take me alive!

Oddly enough, I also spell color 'colour', and use the word bugger. That's still Britspeak, no?

Comment

Quoth Kalga View Post
                  You'll never take me alive!

Oddly enough, I also spell color 'colour', and use the word bugger. That's still Britspeak, no?
                  Aye, it is. I use "colour" as well, along with "favourite". My excuse?

I can't help it if Americans can't spell.

Comment

I just think it looks right. So...agreed?

Comment

Quoth Kalga View Post
                      Agreed.

Comment

Quoth Kalga View Post
                        I second the notion.

Hey, Flea-bit, have I been converted yet? And just HOW MUCH Red Tape will I be going through in order to get Dual-Citizenship, hmm, Hubs?
                        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Aye, it is. I use "colour" as well, along with "favourite". My excuse?

I can't help it if Americans can't spell.
                          ditto, and don't forget theatre...

oh and on with the OP... I would like to apologize on behalf of all call center employees... that guy is a disgrace, it lessens the effectiveness of our complaints about lazy hotel workers refusing to do their jobs and sending us calls they should handle... and now that asshat does inproper transfers to a local site (though I do appreciate some of the semetry)
                          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

According to Wiki, "Twat" is something more vulgar then idiot!
                            I love the example, it can be used to express annoyance: 'I caught my twatting knackers in it!'

Now that sounds like something Advanced Flea's Ade would say.
                            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                              I second the notion.

Hey, Flea-bit, have I been converted yet? And just HOW MUCH Red Tape will I be going through in order to get Dual-Citizenship, hmm, Hubs?
                              oh, to come into england, not a lot. it's fairly easy to get into this country...I wander why we get so many extremeists being let in?

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                              I love the example, it can be used to express annoyance: 'I caught my twatting knackers in it!'

Now that sounds like something Advanced Flea's Ade would say.
                              indeed it does. he's sitting next to me;

"Oi, botch. you fucking putting my fucking words on t'internet?!"

Comment

Working...
                              X