X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas time already??

Phone rings.

Me: Good afternoon <bar name>, customersruinmylife speaking.
    SC: Yeah, uh, I'd like some information.
    Me: OK, how can I help?
    SC: I'd like to know if you are open on Christmas day.
    Me: I'm afraid not sir. We close early on Christmas eve and do not open again until the day after Boxing day.
    SC: Are you sure?
    Me: It's been the same every year since I've worked hear, so I assume so.
    SC: What do you mean you "assume"? Are you open or aren't you?
    Me: No, we are not open.
    SC: Well, me and my family were going to have dinner. We wanted a table. What is the point in us booking a table if you are not going to be open??

There were so many things wrong with that sentence.

Me: Uhh...*not knowing what to say*...not much point I guess.
    SC: Well, where can me and my family go for Christmas?
    Me: I don't know sir. To be honest, you're a bit early. Most places do not handle Christmas bookings until at least September.
    SC: Well, that's not much use to me now is it? *click*

I am pretty sure something similar happened to me this time last year, and I posted it on here...

"Fa ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra"

(10 points to whomever guesses where it's from)
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

We've got some left over Easter bunnies on clearance. At least once an hour somebody will say "Easter already? It's not even Christmas yet."

And they're serious. They think we're selling next year's Easter stuff in June. You'd think the "CLEARANCE BUY ONE GET ONE FREE" sign would tip them off, but they apparently don't even see it.

Comment

Fa ra ra etc comes from the Christmas Story. Ralphie and his family have to go to the Chinese restaurant after the neighbors' dogs steal their turkey.
        Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

That movie sucks.

Comment

momo, that's blasphemy!

As for the dink asking about Xmas reservations, I suppose a nice quiet evening at home with the family is out of the question?
            ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

Quoth Demonoid Phenomenon View Post
              I suppose a nice quiet evening at home with the family is out of the question?
              That would involve work. Making dinner, setting the table, and not to mention having to go out and buy all the stuff.
              Wouldn't it be easier to have a nice, family Xmas dinner at some restaurant, being served by people who want to go home and spend time with their families?
              Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth Demonoid Phenomenon View Post
                momo, that's blasphemy!
                I agree with Momo. Of course, I worked in a movie store, and every year, like clockwork, soon as Thanksgiving hit, the AM opened up Nightmare before Christmas, just to be amazed at my being able to spit out every single line in perfect synch with the movie. (Seriously, it was a surprise to him, every year. "How do you know all the words, Rubi?" "I used to watch it at home, thirty times a day, with the subtitles on?") Once we started getting Christmas movies in stock, Christmas Movie went in, 24/7. All day, every day. I'm sick of it.
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post
                  That would involve work. Making dinner, setting the table, and not to mention having to go out and buy all the stuff.
                  Wouldn't it be easier to have a nice, family Xmas dinner at some restaurant, being served by people who want to go home and spend time with their families?
                  Well, actually, after my Grandmother and her sister died a year apart when I was 13, suddenly the Big Dinners were Mom, Dad, and me. Do you have any idea how long turkey lasts if only three are eating?? I'll spare you teh goose horror stories (though the duck worked well).

I have a certain appreciation for restaurant staff on Thanksgiving and Xmas. I wouldn't try to book it in the summer, however.

Comment

Hey ! This gives me an idea for most original Xmas dinner : frozen pizzas and PB&J sandwiches !
                    "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post
                      What families? People who work in retail/food service don't have families you dolt! We're either all robots that get powered down for the night or we have cots that we sleep on in back! /sarcasm off/

Quoth Bramblerose View Post
                      suddenly the Big Dinners were Mom, Dad, and me. Do you have any idea how long turkey lasts if only three are eating?? I'll spare you teh goose horror stories (though the duck worked well).

I have a certain appreciation for restaurant staff on Thanksgiving and Xmas. I wouldn't try to book it in the summer, however.
                      That's why we only get a turkey breast....and then smoke it! That's at Christmas. We've got a little tradition started of going to La Casa Sena in Santa Fe for Thanksgiving (and then staying the night in Santa Fe instead of trying to drive back to ABQ), but I don't think my parents even try to get reservations until the end of October?
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Well, to be somewhat fair, the SC (despite behaving like a complete douchenozzle) may have experience with restaurants like the one in our inn, which began taking Christmas 2008 reservations Dec. 26, 2007. As a matter of fact, over 1/2 the tables are booked already. And we only have 5 tables left open for Thanksgiving.

So, I can kind of see where he might think you're taking reservations already. But there is no defense for his attitude and sheer idiocy.
                        Last edited by Gerrinson; 06-24-2008, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Quoth Bramblerose View Post
                          Well, actually, after my Grandmother and her sister died a year apart when I was 13, suddenly the Big Dinners were Mom, Dad, and me. Do you have any idea how long turkey lasts if only three are eating?? I'll spare you teh goose horror stories (though the duck worked well).

I hear where you're coming from... everyone in my direct family except my mother is dead (yup, dad, and grandparents all passed, and I'm an only child) and my nearest aunt and uncle are in Arizona... which is only slightly further than my mother in Reno... so for me to have a family dinner for thanksgiving or christmas I have to either drive/fly (neither of which is cheap) to either Reno or Pheonix or depend on the charity of others (in the last 3 years I've been able to have a Thanksgiving dinner with a friend from colleges family a Christmas dinner with a coworker)... believe me when you're looking at what you have available for you for Christmas dinner and it's steamed rice and vegetables, going to Denny's and making it up to the waiter with a huge tip seems fair enough (and people wonder why I don't mind working those holidays)
                          anyway, smiley is going to go off to his corner and cry now
                          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

EQ and I, with our parents, once spent Christmas in a Tavern. We had our Christmas Dinner (lunch) eating there and spent the rest of the day playing with our Pup. I think that was our first year in the campgrounds. Second year Dad had worked for a security company (Which folded only because Boss's partners were embezelling) and he had a chef for a co-worker. Chef cooked up a turkey for us for that second christmas (I think he felt sorry for us) and that was our "big" present. EQ and Mum loved the turkey and cranberries so much they got recipes (I THINK EQ still has the recipes).

Quoth Samaliel View Post
                            Hey ! This gives me an idea for most original Xmas dinner : frozen pizzas and PB&J sandwiches !
                            Been there, done that. If you cook a cheap pizza on the grill then it tastes better.
                            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Since Christmas dinner was just my husband, our sons and me, and my family is from the Missouri Ozarks, I made pan fried chicken (fried in bacon drippings), mashed potatoes, with country gravy made from the chicken drippings, biscuits, etc.

Everybody was happy with it.
                              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                              HR believes the first person in the door
                              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                              Document everything
                              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                              X