This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deliberate misreading

We have a promotion running at the moment for 2 liter Coca-Cola products. Buy one, get the second one for $1. The tags say "BUY ONE GET A 2ND FOR $1"

So far this has happened 3 times:

Me (types code for the offer, scans third Coke bottle)
    SC: They're buy one get 2 for a dollar.
    Me: No, buy one get the second one for a dollar.
    SC: There's a number 2 on the tag.
    Me: (points to large sign that reads the same as the shelf tag) That's buy one get a second one for a dollar.
    SC: Well I don't want it then. (pays for 2 and just leaves the third one on the counter)

Are these people semi-literate, idiots, scammers, or all three?

I'm gonna go with the 'idiot' choice.
    ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

Some people really just are that dumb........

I don't think I even need to go elaborate.......I mean, I work with people who can't count to 3.....I can imagine reading that sign wrong.......
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
        SC: There's a number 2 on the tag.
        I believe this answers your question: Idiot.
        "Yes, there is a two on there. Perhaps you were unaware that the number can be used in different and subtle ways. This is probably too taxing. Let me ring up your second bottle of coke, and you can go home and lie down for a while."
        Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

I'm just surprised that the SC didn't use the classic line :

"Well, you should change that sign, then, because that's very misleading!"

(The fact that you're too stupid to understand it doesn't mean that it's misleading.)
          “Excuse me. Is this bracelet real jade?”
          “Ma’am, this is a thrift shop. The tag on the bracelet says $1.50. It comes with a matching mood ring. What do you think?”
          “I don’t know.”
          “Yes, it’s real.”

Comment

People like that see what they want to see on a sign that is very clearly spelled out. Kinda like "selective seeing".

Comment

Quoth Anthony K. S. View Post
              "Well, you should change that sign, then, because that's very misleading!"
              For a while we sold 3 packs of pepsi for a buck. We had a sign that said so.

No one read it, and we'd have to bring it up and make sure the customer knew the price before we rang it up.

Otherwise we'd end up with a return since they had spent an extra dollar BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T/WOULDN'T READ!!
              I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
              In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

Are these people semi-literate, idiots, scammers, or all three?
                They're semi-literate, idiot scammers.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Whatever they can be classified as, they shouldn't be allowed out in public, that's for sure.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I'm surprised they didn't insist it was buy one get one FREE.
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Ask them what they think the ND means then after the 2. I bet you'd get some very creative, and stupid, responses.
                      Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

I'm going with 80% Idiot, 20% scammer.

Comment

BUY ONE GET A 2ND FOR $1"
                          SC reads: "BUY ONE ... 2 ... $1".

Next SC, point out it's got the word "FOR" in it too, so should you charge him $4? It'll rattle their brains.

Comment

I'd get deliberate misreadings/"selective seeing" all the time.

When I worked for a catalogue doing phone sales, the company would send out ten dollar coupons to credit card holders to be used in the month of their birthday. Pain in the ass coupons! They couldn't be used with any other special offers (which were always better deals), and it clearly said this on the back on the "fine" but readable print. I had a lady disagree with me and read the entire back of the coupon word for word, except for leaving out the sentence about combining offers, swore her coupon didn't say that. Perty slick, there. I told her she'd have to mail it in since she had the only coupon ever printed that was different. She promptly dropped it.

Oh, and working in a couple department stores, I'd be a millionaire if I had a dime for every time I heard "Oh, LOOK honey! Buy one get one FREE!!!" During a buy one get one HALF-OFF sale, with about a billion signs with giant letters clearly saying 50%....not free.
                            "What size can I get you, ma'am?"
                            "Red."
                            "Okay...I'll check the red for you, but what size do you need?"
                            "RED!"
                            "..."

Comment

Working...
                            X