This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Amina516 View Post

They have special cabins set aside for those with diasbilites, they are usually larger to accomodate wheelchairs and the bathrooms are bigger. Also, some companies rent those hoverround type scooters that you can get on the ship and use for the duration of your vacation.

Everyone is in loungy clothes or bathing suits (usually) during the day and depending what cruise line youre on, they may or may not have requirements about what to wear for dinner. Some ask that you dress to the nines, some ask for business casual and some dont care. Youre there to have fun, thats the main part. Ive been to dinner in cocktail dresses, in jeans, in slacks, in skirts flip flops...It is what you make it!

Hope you jump on a boat soon! You wont regret it...
    Sounds good, though I really dont need much more than my basic wheelchair, and it folds for storage=) though we are actually looking into a powerchair for me at some point in time when it gets bad enough=)

I just think it sounds like a fantastic way to spend a week, and now that I telecommute, I actually manage to hold onto my PTO instead of burning it by being out on medical.

Only problem now is which one to do ... they have one that goes north for the midnight sun type fun, there is tropical fun ... there are way too many to chose from ... =)
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth LibraryLady View Post
      Yeah, it's an odd situation but, in my experience, the staff are often the best-dressed people on the ship.

We've been on cruises that ranged the gamut from shoes and shirts in the Dining room, please to a Cunard Cruise where every night except the first and last are formal. Actually, we like a bit of formality because we rarely have the chance to dress up at home.

In a certain sense, a cruise ship is a fantasy place and dressing up is part of that. Certainly, extra tariff restaurants on board are the place for it.
      My parents are avid cruisers. They always take formal wear with them.

According to them, people just don't understand the 'classifications' for dress anymore... especially when differentiating between 'Formal' and 'Casual' dress codes when taking a cruise.
      They explained it like this:

Formal
      Women - Evening Gowns and appropriate footwear and hosiery

Men - Black Tie (tuxedo) - NO exception

Casual
      Women - Dress, Blouse and Skirt, Hosiery w/Dress shoes (heels preferred, but not necessary), NO sneakers/tennis shoes

Men - Full Suit and Tie, Jacket with Collared Shirt and Tie w/dress slacks, Socks w/Dress shoes, Closed toe shoes (ie: no sneakers/tennis shoes, sandals, flip-flops), NO hats

-----------------------------------------------
      Thing is, people often think that 'casual' means "wear-whatever-the-fuck-I-want-to-wear"... and despite popular belief, that is NOT the case.

The only time things like ballcaps, shorts, sandals, t-shirts...etc would be acceptable is if the dining room you are attending does not specify a dress code.
      "It's not easy being evil in a world that's gone to Hell" ~ Anton LaVey

Comment

Quoth DevilBoy View Post
        M
        Casual
        Women - Dress, Blouse and Skirt, Hosiery w/Dress shoes (heels preferred, but not necessary), NO sneakers/tennis shoes

LOL big problem there, I wear sneakers as they fit the orthotics I have without spending several hundred dollars for a pair of shoes ... though I prefer this spiffy palazzo pantsuit I have instead of a skirt. Dealing with a skirt using crutches or a wheelchair sucks.

My favorite lounge around and look spiffy outfits include nice slacks and polos ... though I have a couple salwar kameez outfits that are great if I am going to be out in the sun [because of the matching headscarf=)]
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Interesting, DevilBoy. The dress codes we've encountered on HollandAmerica, Celebrity and Princess are a little different.

Formal:
          Gown or cocktail dress for ladies with appropriate accessories.
          Tux, Dinner jacket or dark business suit with all the trimmings for men .

Semi-Formal:
          Essentially what would be conservative office wear for both sexes.

Casual:
          Skirt or pants & blouse for ladies. (Sun dresses fit this category)
          Dress pants, collared shirt and closed toe shoes for men.
          No jeans or tank tops for either sex.

Of course, these only apply in the evening.

During the day you can pretty much wear what you want. Jeans, t-shirts and shorts are acceptable in the Dining room during Breakfast and Lunch service.
          Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

Working...
          X