Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Always return your auditor's calls (and other tales)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, you don't need to memorize the whole odometer reading. Using the "I86 dip into PA" as an example, going east there's a rest area around 10 km (Canadian truck, odometer in kilometers) after it comes back into NY. Coming west, there's one around 100 km after it comes back into NY. The portion of the route in PA is 2 km.

Realistically, I only have to memorize the last 2 digits. Outbound, unless there's a "rollover" in the 10 km before the rest area, the other digits when I get there are the same as at the state line crossings. Inbound (barring "rollovers"), in addition to the 2 digits I need to remember to knock one off the third last digit as it appears when I get to the rest area.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

There's a highway in the mountains of Nevada (Nevada 266) that goes back and forth into California. I remember seeing a lot of "Welcome to California/Nevada" signs. While I wouldn't recommend taking an 18-wheeler on most of it, as I was driving a Daihatsu Charade and there were some downright miserable hills and curves on either side of this area, it was still a beautiful area as I was there in late April.

Comment

There is a road between Idaho and Wyoming that must be a jurisdictional nightmare. Wyoming route 89, for a several mile stretch if you are going northbound, you are in Wyoming, if you are going southbound you are in Idaho... the state line literally runs up the middle of the street.
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
          the state line literally runs up the middle of the street.
          There's one of those between Lansing, IL and Munster, IN. It is literally named State Line Road.

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
            There's one of those between Lansing, IL and Munster, IN. It is literally named State Line Road.
            Ditto Kansas City MO and Kansas City KS. When I lived in Overland Park, I had friends who lived across the street from each other, in different states . . .

Comment

The first town on this page lies in two different countries. Their library was intentionally built over the line, so as to benefit patrons from both the US and Canada.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                The first town on this page lies in two different countries. Their library was intentionally built over the line, so as to benefit patrons from both the US and Canada.
                That's interesting. I was thinking of Port Roberts, which always makes me a bit
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                  Ditto Kansas City MO and Kansas City KS.
                  I noticed, when I was in KCMO last weekend for my brother's wedding.

My son got a great deal of amusement out of trying to get me to accidentally end up in Kansas.
                  "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    And I thought it was a hassle when I lived in a town in California where the county border went through the middle of town. I actually lived in the county that was sparsely populated farmland rather than the one that was considered part of the San Francisco metropolitan area. There were advantages to that; since my street address showed that I lived in the sparsely populated county, my car/house insurance rates dropped considerably. I did have to point this out to my insurance company, however; the people I talked to had no idea the small town where I lived even existed.

Comment

I've got two stories along these lines...

The first was a subdivision I was building. Half was in the city, the other half (on the opposite side of the hill) was in the county. Completely separate water, storm and sewer lines. I always thought this one would be a mess when it came to repaving and plowing snow, not to mention taxes...

The other is a County Inspector we know. A few years ago his house got surveyed and it was discovered that although the garage was in the county he worked in and paid taxes to his house wasn't but was actually in the next county over. So his two daughters now couldn't attend the school they'd been going to. He had to convert the top of the garage into a bedroom for them so they could stay put. The county refused to budge on that and I always thought that was a crock.

Comment

Working...
                      X