This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only winning move is not to play.

Let's not get sidetracked since this post is about politics.

There's this guy in the lobby that's trying to engage anyone in conversation. I was the first target.

SC: Who would you rather vote for? X or Y?

I foolishly give an answer. I thought that my answer would discourage further conversation. I was wrong. I had Facebook open and messaged my brother to call my hotel because this guy just won't stop with his bullcrap. Brother bails me out.

He goes outside to smoke a cigarette. Another guest also goes out to smoke a cigarette. I hear the SC engage the guy in conversation. Same question.

Me: (audiblly but not loud enough for them to hear) It's a trap!

Of course now he's talking right next to my open window. I go and make a big show of closing the window. I think he got the hint.
    Last edited by EricKei; 06-09-2016, 08:28 AM. Reason: mod edit
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

If I wanted to annoy people with my political rants, I would do it in a more civilized way. Youtube and/or Fratching. (Fratching is better moderated after all, Youtube comments annoy greatly most times. Post to YT, Disable comments, Start thread on Fratching, Unintentionally annoy people.)

Of course, I ran out of darns a long time ago.
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

They never like my answer.

"Vote Odin!!!
      He said he would get rid of the Frost Giants... Do you SEE any Frost Giants?
      Vote Odin!!!"

After that they don't seem to want to talk to me.

Comment

I say Vote Cthulhu. Why vote for the lesser evils?
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

J2K- I think you mean Cartman, the only man evil enough to manipulate an Ancient One into doing his bidding.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Great title. I love that movie.

I've had people try to rope me into that conversation. If they're complete strangers, here's how I handle it:

"Who are you voting for, X or Y?"
            "No."
            "You're not voting?"
            "No - as in I won't engage in a political discussion with someone I don't know who is obviously desperate for attention and interaction."
            *sputters*

Of course, I'm also 6'1/350 pounds (6'4 in my boots) so most people are smart enough to not engage me after that.

I hate politics.
            Last edited by EricKei; 06-09-2016, 08:29 AM. Reason: mod edit

Comment

Last time

I was in a Noble book store and this loud mouth start telling people in the store to not use E-Books because the government could edit them, and then demanded people tell them who they were voting for in the next election.

IN A BOOK STORE! IN THE MAGAZINE SECTION!

So when he came to me I **VERY LOUDLY** (because I want store staff to hear I was being bothered) said "You are a fool, my books are off-line, and I am here to read and BUY magazines, not to talk to you. I did not invite you, you just start demanding I answer your questions. I consider you a fool, go away. THIS IS A BOOK STORE! Go away."

Guess what, he wandered away muttering that no-one want to talk to him or learn what he knew, I wonder why?

Comment

I had a client try to draw me into a discussion about biblical rules and what is morally ok. I immediately advised him that I do not discuss my personal beliefs at work.

Comment

Quoth April View Post
                  I immediately advised him that I do not discuss my personal beliefs at work.
                  And this is what I do when that stuff comes up.
                  "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

There's a cashier like this at the coffee shop I like. Every time she's working I pay, and stand at the counter listening to three minutes of "did you see what politician did? S/he's so stupid! Why would any one vote for them?" and "there's a new bill proposed to .....isn't that great!?"
                    The worst part is her opinions and mine are usually polar opposites, but it seems mean to argue in public and with people who are working, so I just have to stand there nodding along with her ridiculous views.
                    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Love the title, so terribly true. I wish people could talk to each other rationally about these things, even if they disagree... I mean, who's going to change their mind because of some random comment by a stranger? Or because of a nasty post on a forum? But people can't talk normally, and here we are.

Thankfully people have been pretty good at my work and at school about not getting into any hot topic issues. When someone does ask me, I have an answer that seems to shut them down. It's interesting, because it's not intended to make them stop, but I guess my answer tells them they won't further their agenda with me.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

To nobody in particular and everyone in general: Keep it civil and within the bounds of sanity, please, folks. We're keeping a close eye on this thread, for obvious reasons. Don't be surprised if we sneak in an edit here or there.

As you were.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Mytical 2016, lets get some insanity into the White House..oh wait.. too late... carry on.
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I'm all for casual conversation if I'm not actively serving, but if you stray towards one of the World-wide Hot Button Topics™ then it's amazing how swiftly I can find something that requires my attention elsewhere for as long as it takes for a real customer to appear.
                            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I've found that I get a lot less questions like that since I started using interpretive dance to answer them.
                              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Working...
                              X