This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein I refuse to deliver to a customer

This is my second-to-last day at the paper route. I had a trainee lined up earlier, but after one day working at 3am he decided it was too early. So I'm training a back-up carrier to cover until they find full coverage. I'm glad I was working with an experienced carrier, because this morning would have scared off a newbie.

What made this encounter extra strange is that this is a customer who I have actually met before (fairly uncommon, since most of my customers are fast asleep when I deliver their newspapers), and I had delivered to him off and on for some time, so you'd think he'd recognize me.

IDK if he thought I was someone else this morning or if he was flying high on something, but he got aggressive.

I pull up to an apartment complex and I'm showing my trainee which back porch is my customer's before I pull into a parking space, when my customer comes storming outside on his back porch cussing and swearing up a storm.

SC: "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING YOU FUCKING FUCKER?!?!"
    Trainee: "Is...is that actually him?"
    Me: "Um....you know, we'll try him again later."

I turned around and started to drive off. In that time, he'd run back into his apartment and out the front door and was RUNNING down the walkway after us.

SC: "GET BACK HERE YOU FUCKER IMMA KICK YOUR FUCKING ASS FUCK FUCK" *cussing fades into distance as I drive like a bat out of hell*

Me: "I'm so glad you're experienced because this would send a new trainee running for the hills."

I did swing by later and he was still on his back porch. I didn't approach. I called dispatch and told them for safety, I was going to refuse delivery. 9 years on the paper route and that's the first call like that I've had to make.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

whatever the reason sounds like you made the right call. even if all he ever does is yell like that and never go any further life's too short for shits like him.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

What do you bet he called the paper later wondering where his f'ing paper was?

Comment

I hope he is told why he didn't get his paper this morning. Shouting like that would make me not deliver to him, too.
        1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
        -----
        http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post
          I hope he is told why he didn't get his paper this morning. Shouting like that would make me not deliver to him, too.
          I think my manager called him and the police also contacted him. Haven't heard a follow-up. Not my problem anymore though!
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Wow...I suppose this asshole thinks that Magical Fairies deliver his newspaper in the dead of night.

Comment

Food for thought I wonder if he is sitting vigil out side of his Apartment because he is trying to catch people who have committed local crimes.

The OP is correct with refusing to deliver that is an unhinged person just wonder why they are unhinged. I personal would have thrown a paper at their face then drove off. But You know us Gingers we are a little more confrontational than most. lol

Stay Safe out there.

Comment

A red head my late husband worked with said it wasn't that reds had any worse tempers than other folk, it was just that they were so VISIBLE! Speaking as the mother of 3 daughters - #1 brunette, #2 red, #3 red - this is true. #1 has a far more prickly temper than her sisters... FAR worse. #3 is the most easy going girl ever! #2 is somewhere in the middle.

Comment

As a Ginger the best way I explain it is we have zero middle ground ( there are exceptions to all rules) But for the most part we just don't do things half-assed. We like to really throw our all into stuff, So when we are happy everyone knows it and when we are pissed.... well everyone knows it lol.

Comment

I'm a mellow natured ginger, but that doesn't mean I can't be deucedly dangerous if someone messes with someone dear to me, like my husband or my cats. My brunette sister is a lot more tempery than I am, but she's the oldest.

Comment

Working...
                    X