Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm OK with most creepy crawlies as long as they're not bothering me - the only exception are spiders. Sorry to let the female side down but I HATE house spiders with a vengeance. I think it's the way they run <shudder>
    "I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere and I'm here for the hell of it now"

Comment

At my previous place of employment, a large-ish grocery store in a regional chain, we would occasionally have birds make their way in either through receiving or the front doors. Normally we would eventually catch the bird using the old cartoon trick of a box propped up on a stick with some birdseed under it. We also tried nets and other various things, but this wasn't enough for the assistant manager at the time. A particular bird had been in the store almost a week and we were unable to catch it, so this assistant manager brought in a BB gun. This manager was patrolling up and down the front and back main aisles of the store, holding a BB gun that resembled a small rifle. Yes, while the store was open and customers were present. Eventually the bird met its demise at the hands of this BB gun. Over the Produce department actually, not too far from open produce. The manager came over and gave it another shot to put it out of its misery, then made me clean it up. All of this still while the store was open and customers were present.

I along with several other workers notified the store manager of what transpired. The next Monday it seems this assistant manager was "on vacation" unexpectedly, and even more telling of this "vacation" was that the midnight manager was also on a (planned) vacation, and it was generally policy that only one of the "big six" (store manager, grocery manager, GM manager, assistant manger, front end manager, midnight manager) ever be on vacation at a time.

This manager was later sent to anger management classes, and his next promotion was to be grocery manager at a store in a *ahem* less than ideal neighborhood. By the time he had been shuffled back to my store, he'd gained some people skills and at least half a sense of decency.
      "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
      "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
      My MySpace
      My LiveJournal

Comment

I'm told we also used to have a BB gun on hand for taking care of stray birds.

It's probably for the best that we don't any more.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

When I was in college, a bat got into the dorms. My roommate and I rescued it from a bunch of half-drunk frat boys who were trying to kill it with a whiffle bat, and hurried it outside. I didn't think "rabies" until later, but we didn't actually touch it. I'd still do the same today, but gardening gloves would be involved.

Bats are kyoot.

Love, Who?

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
            Meh. Last summer, I had a bat fly into my apartment. Took me two nights to catch the little bugger, but catch him I did, and outside he went. He was really cute! Small brown bat, for those who know some of the more common species.
            I had one roosting in my campus apartment for a short time. Dad helped me get him back outside; we're not sure how he got in or what he was eating.

The game store had a bird trapped in the basement one morning; I did turn out the lights which would have worked if boss hadn't turned them right back on. I was THIS close to trapping the bird in my jacket and almost fell and cracked my skull open when it flew up in my face. Boss' method was to chase the poor thing upstairs and try to herd it toward the front door (which, as the door was in the middle of a wall of windows, didn't work like he thought it would). I think myself and a regular finally caught and released the critter, with Boss complaining the whole time (don't bitch at me about wasting time after you made things worse.)
            Last edited by Dreamstalker; 04-12-2011, 10:08 PM.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

What is a silverfish?

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post

Am I the only woman who isn't afraid of bats, mice, reptiles, or bugs?
                the only thing that scares me is catgirls with caffeine.

well that and snakes. why's it always gotta be snakes
                There are only two rules of tactics: never be without a plan, and never rely on it.

Comment

Quoth cewfa View Post
                  What is a silverfish?
                  Those little critters. Not very harmful, though they have cost me a few books (or part of them).

Comment

One of my clueless hunter cats managed to catch a lizard this weekend. I think it surprised him too, as he dropped it as soon as I yelled at him. It was still quite alive and ran off, with the 4 other cats happily giving chase. I cornered the poor thing in the dining room and scooped him back outside.

The cat still hasn't forgiven me.

Comment

House centipedes.

Ugly. Fast. Have been known to wave at me if I don't kill them on the first try.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I had a few of those in my college apartment.

Also cave crickets; I covered one with roach poison and it still took a day trapped under a bowl for it to die. Shortly after I threw the thing outside someone stepped on it, and shortly after that its friends were snacking on the remains
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I'm fine with most critters and crawly things but I despise roaches. I'm not scared of them, but if I see any I will go on a killing spree until every last one has been either squished or gassed to death.

Comment

you haven't seen anything until you've run into a house hippo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBfi8OEz0rA

Comment

Quoth K'Z'K View Post
                              And I think mice and other small rodents and rodent-size creatures are adorable.
                              Same here. I used to have pet mice as a child, and later in life rats, so I enjoy watching their expressive little faces and body language...they're cute, not scary!
                              "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                              - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Working...
                              X