This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here do tie-dye?

I tie-dyed four shirts yesterday, and left them overnight (in plastic bags) to let the dye set. I rinsed them out, and they were gorgeous. Then I washed them - now, they're pinkish-gray in the white areas. What should I do? And what should I do differently with the next batch?

I'm curious to hear the responses here. I despise white clothing, but I do own two white shirts that I want to tie-dye so I can wear them. One is a shirt my parents got me from Canada, but I'm afraid to wear it because it's white and white gets dirty.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Someone told me once that rinsing in vinegar after dyeing neutralizes the dye and keeps the colours from running.

I don't know.

Never mind...a google search says it isn't effective on cotton and can change the colour results on certain fabrics.
      Last edited by Ree; 05-12-2012, 06:08 PM.
      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

It's been a while since I did it, but I'm pretty sure doing the first wash in cold salty water fixed the dye.

Comment

Both salt and vinegar will set dye. Vinegar is acidic, so you need to rinse it thoroughly. Also anything you dye should be washed in cold water, to slow the fading; dyed cotton is going to fade, it's just a fact of life.
          "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

It looks like two errors were made:

1. The shirts weren't rinsed thoroughly enough.
            2. Too many shirts were washed together at the same time.

So what do I do with them now?

Comment

Dye them over completely, or like a black? And then just wear them. I mean, no sense in wasting shirts.
              By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

There is a company called dharma trading (or something like that) that has a bunch of tie-dye info and supplies.
                What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Yes, Dharma Trading Company is awesome! Every shop I've worked at has used them at one time or another.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/
                  "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

I looked at their site; they didn't cover the issue that happened to me. I'm going to keep looking - but in the meantime, please feel free to suggest options!

Comment

Maybe if the colors are beyond repair, it would still make a fun variegated tshirt yarn. I plan on trying to make this kind of yarn with some old tees myself.
                      The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

It looks like the kit I bought had entirely the wrong dyes. Next time I try tie-dyeing, I'll go with Dharma.

Comment

Working...
                        X