Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help finding an editor/publisher....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help finding an editor/publisher....

I finished a manuscript for a book some weeks ago. Only problem is, I'm having trouble finding an editor/publisher.

Do any CS'ers know someone in this field? Any help would be appreciated....

Finding a publisher isn't as easy as sending them your work and saying, "Here! Publish this please!" Unfortunately.

And if you just finished it a few weeks ago, it is very unlikely that it is even ready to go to an editor, agent or publisher. Most authors perform at least 3 revisions several weeks apart on a manuscript, and even then editors usually ask for more. But if you truly think yours is ready to go...

First you have to answer a lot of questions.

What genre is your book? Fiction or non? Do you want to go the agent route, self-publish, find a publisher that accepts unagented submissions, or try to e-publish? Small press or large? Anyway you do this, it's going to take time, so don't expect to see your work on shelves in a month or two.

If you can answer these questions, I can give you more specific information tailored to what you want to do with it. If you are interested in self-publishing, several people on this site have done it and can help you better in that case than I can. If you are interested in agents, e-publishing, or small press, I can help there.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

It's a work of fiction. All 14 chapters have already been completed. I don't want to self-publish because I heard there's a stigma that "If he/she self-published it means that nobody wanted to look at it."
      Last edited by sld72382; 05-09-2012, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Not necessarily. Kindle is a very popular self-publishing medium; a lot of good stuff is on there (a lot of crap too, but there is good stuff as well).

What genre of fiction? Certain agents will only look at certain types of fiction. If you need an editor to go over it before you start looking for agents/publishers, many people here will probably be willing to do it.

There are pros and cons for looking for an agent, and the same for going directly to a press. Small presses pay less, but they also come with a lot less bullshit. Agents might be able to get your stuff into markets you wouldn't think of or even know exist. Agents can also take a million years to get to your work as they have piles of manuscripts falling off their desks. Personally, I went 3 years looking for an agent for my first novel with no success (not to mention 5 separate revisions); it is now being seriously considered by an e-publisher, but they will probably want even more revisions!

What is your word count? If it is not Shogun-length I could take a look at it and give you some suggestions on what market it might fit, and a lot of other people here are also published writers and would be willing to help too, I bet. When I finish a work I usually ask 4-5 different people (my brutally honest husband and writer friends) who will all give me feedback; it is helpful to get feedback from multiple sources) to read it before I revise and submit it.

If you're not wanting to go that route, I'll just throw out a couple good resources: preditorsandeditors.com and absolutewrite.com.
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

http://www.reimannbooks.com/

This is the company my friend uses when she publishes her children's books. There is a cost to it, but if you sell enough, you'll make money.
          "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

How much are you looking to spend for an editor?
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
              How much are you looking to spend for an editor?
              Right now I'm suffering for money, but when I get some extra funds I'll begin looking around.

Comment

Working...
              X