This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG! It's just like on TV!!!

We have a very frequent customer ... I'll call her Lucille. I believe that Lucille, who appears to be middle-aged, has some issues ... special needs ... call them what you will. She seems to come in for the company as much as the ever-increasing number of "sampler goodies" we set out; she will also chat happily with any staff member who can't get away fast enough. Problem is, she will not, of her own volition, STOP chatting; staff members often have to resort to, "Ok, Lucille, I've got to get back to work now! Have a good day!" She always takes it well, gathers up whatever shopping bags she might have, and departs.

So one day last week she's in as usual and helping herself to some samples (as usual) and I ask her if she wants anything (e.g. do you want to BUY anything ...) She says she has no money, so I leave her to enjoy the samples in peace.

Suddenly in walks a member of the mall security staff, along with what appears to be the iceberg that sank the Titanic, in the uniform of a city cop. I mean, this guy was ginormous. He wouldn't have to rough up a bad guy; he could just pick the miscreant up by the scruff of the neck and cart him off.

They walk quietly up to Lucille and I hear only a small part of the conversation, but it sounds ominous: "... fit the description ..." and "... if you have ID ...." The three of them walk out of the shop to some benches in the mall hallway. Business at our place immediately grinds to a halt as staff and patrons gawk at the scene. The staff can't figure out WTF is going on; "Lucille" has NEVER been a problem and we can't imagine her actually in trouble. She is digging madly through her purse for her ID.

"I wonder if I should go out and ask if everything's OK," one coworker hisses. I'm not sure why she's whispering; they're far enough away that she'd have to shout for them to hear her. Not to say I didn't mumble a bit myself ...

A couple of us tell her that, as none of us are family, Power of Attorney, or "Lucille's" lawyer, the cop will likely just tell us, politely, to get lost. Or pick us up by the scruff of the neck and cart us off.

Thankfully, it turned out to be nothing to do with "Lucille." They were looking for a missing person and that is whose description she fit. Once she produced her ID that ended it.

She happily trotted back into the shop. She didn't appear particularly shaken up -- more excited at this interesting break in her routine -- but we gave her a free tea anyway.

Glad it turned out okay.

I had a friend who lives out in the middle of nowhere, and apparently fit the description of a runaway teen. Unfortunately she didn't have ID on her, and she was taken downtown until her mother could come with her ID and pick her up. (Though if she hadn't gotten an attitude and said the line: "I'm not getting in that car with you, you doughnuteater!", I suspect she may have been able to diffuse the situation without a trip to town.)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
      (Though if she hadn't gotten an attitude and said the line: "I'm not getting in that car with you, you doughnuteater!", I suspect she may have been able to diffuse the situation without a trip to town.)
      Ah, youth. They always have to learn the hard way, don't they? If I've taught my nephews and nieces nothing else, I HAVE taught them that, when dealing with the law, a little respect goes a long way.

Comment

A former boss once told a story from his wild youth: he looked pretty "rough" (think long hair and leather jacket) and he was walking in his own neighbourhood, heading for home, when the police pulled up and "invited" him into the cruiser. He did get in, but when one cop asked him to identify himself, his response was, "Who wants to know?" or something similarly snotty. Last thing he saw was a large fist headed his way. He eventually got home and told his father what had happened. His father's response: "You walk around looking like a bum, what do you expect?"

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
          A former boss once told a story from his wild youth: he looked pretty "rough" (think long hair and leather jacket) and he was walking in his own neighbourhood, heading for home, when the police pulled up and "invited" him into the cruiser. He did get in, but when one cop asked him to identify himself, his response was, "Who wants to know?" or something similarly snotty. Last thing he saw was a large fist headed his way. He eventually got home and told his father what had happened. His father's response: "You walk around looking like a bum, what do you expect?"
          That's nothing to laugh at...that's police brutality. Just making a snarky comment is not enough to earn a knuckle sandwich from a police officer. Or maybe I'm misreading that he was physically punched.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
            ...Just making a snarky comment is not enough to earn a knuckle sandwich from a police officer.
            Back then it was.

...and friends Opie was, he took the toilet paper out of the cell, so I wouldn't bend the bars, tie the paper to the bar, throw the roll out the window, climb down the roll, and have an escape...
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              Back then it was.

...and friends Opie was, he took the toilet paper out of the cell, so I wouldn't bend the bars, tie the paper to the bar, throw the roll out the window, climb down the roll, and have an escape...
              And do not forget about the 27 8x10 color glossy photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one was to be used as evidence against us.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

It was a typical case of American blind justice!

But that's not what I came to talk about.

Comment

Knowing this boss as I do, I doubt very much it was just a single snarky comment. And back then, yes, it was more acceptable SOP than it is today.

Comment

Working...
                  X