This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think my client killed himself....

So I've had a pending project for nigh on three months now. Client made a deposit and everything, I started on the work, and then everything came to a screeching halt. His mother passed away extremely suddenly, and it threw him completely off.

He became very withdrawn, wouldn't speak, and asked me to wait until he recovered. I touched base every two weeks for a month, and then all communications ceased.

The last email he sent was very, VERY depressed, and he said he was not doing well. Very terse as well.

I googled him, and as far as I can tell...someone with his exact name committed suicide shortly after his emails ceased. His payment account was shut down as well.

I've researched, and it looks like he had no other family. So I don't know what to do. I guess I have to keep the deposit. Not really any other choice...but darn, I feel bad.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

That sucks...

Comment

Check with the local authorities where he lived to see whether there is an estate in his name, and notify the executor about the deposit.

If not, you might consider donating the deposit to a charity that you think he would symphatize with, if you feel bad about keeping the money.

However, I agree with the sentiment. It surely does suck.
      A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Feeling bad is one thing. Throwing money out the window during tight times is another. The deposit was there to secure work and start proceedings. Work was done. Keeping the deposit because a client ended a project is not unfair, immoral, or in any sense wrong. Making a token donation with a fraction of the deposit might make you feel better. Seraph, you did nothing wrong. Keep the deposit, you earned it.
        You hold power over me and abuse it. I do not like it, and say so. Suddenly I am a problem.. FIND. A. MIRROR!

Comment

Sheesh Seraph you must have a magnet attached to you-why is it always your customers that things happen to? *hugs*
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I would recommend that you try to chase down the estate. The contract may still be legal and binding. His side of the contract may have been passed on to the estate or even a business partner who wants to continue the project. It may not be about the refund, but the work completed to date.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
              Check with the local authorities where he lived to see whether there is an estate in his name, and notify the executor about the deposit.
              Quoth csquared View Post
              I would recommend that you try to chase down the estate. The contract may still be legal and binding.
              Regarding the estate, he's in another country that's not exactly well known for keeping good track of this sort of thing. He also was an only child, and had no family of his own. (which would make things even MORE crazy to track down) It was difficult enough finding the scrap that mentioned he'd committed suicide.

Bleh, I guess if anyone shows up and provides proof they are now in control of it, I can go on ahead and either finish up the rest, or do whatever.
              By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Oh man, that's awful ...

Quoth yeahwhatev View Post
                Feeling bad is one thing. Throwing money out the window during tight times is another. The deposit was there to secure work and start proceedings. Work was done. Keeping the deposit because a client ended a project is not unfair, immoral, or in any sense wrong. Making a token donation with a fraction of the deposit might make you feel better. Seraph, you did nothing wrong. Keep the deposit, you earned it.
                I agree, especially in light of the additional details you provided. Set the money aside if you feel somebody might come looking for it later, but I wouldn't get rid of it. You did the work and you earned the money.

Comment

You did the work and earned the money.

If you choose to, you might want to donate a portion to a depression help line, suicide prevention research*, or some other charity.

(Sitting on my couch right now is a suicide prevention researcher. If you choose that path, I can ask her which such charities are providing funds efficiently to researchers, and/or which researchers seem to be doing useful work in her opinion.)
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                  X