Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADeMartino, Always happy to answer questions about hotels work. It makes the guests happier and my life easier.

Antares, we will never be upset for a question like that one for the reason I cited. lol. It's a perfectly valid question. Though I do have to say... most hotels will never offer you a discount unless you ask for one because we make more money if you don't get a discount. So if you have something you think might get you a discount (AAA, Military, Seniors, AARP, or even the Entertainment card, etc) please ask. Even a 10% discount (our typical discount, and also includes the 10% discount given to return guests, just mention the promotion when you call or walk in) is STILL better than paying 15-30% commission and we still still make more money with it.

Comment

Absolutely! I wouldn't expect you to offer to make less money. lol!

But it is good to know that that kind of request wouldn't generally be frowned upon.
      I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

From everything I've read about Groupon the scenario seems to always be the same:

1) Store uses Groupon in order to attract new customers who will then become regulars.
        2) Store is overrun with Groupon users who deplete inventory.
        3) Store loses money with Groupon customers.
        4) Customers use Groupon to save money but buy nothing else and never return.
        5) Store ends up losing money with Groupon from customers who never shop there again.

I still wonder why anybody even tries using it anymore, it just seems like a lose-lose situation...

Comment

At this point, I'm wondering the same. It just isn't worth it for a company to do this.

Comment

Well, I'm sure the idea that Groupon pitches is that the establishment would make more money based on higher business volume. Which is, of course, what upper management likes to hear. But unfortunately 'theory' doesn't often translate well to real-life situations. And naturally Groupon comes out ahead because they're collecting money without actually doing anything other than strong-arming their associate businesses.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
              Well, I'm sure the idea that Groupon pitches is that the establishment would make more money based on higher business volume. Which is, of course, what upper management likes to hear. But unfortunately 'theory' doesn't often translate well to real-life situations. And naturally Groupon comes out ahead because they're collecting money without actually doing anything other than strong-arming their associate businesses.
              Yeah, kind of like when the third party sites like Trip Advisor try to peddle their "If you pay us hundreds a month, we will remove other peoples banner ad's from your page and you'll make more money, even though you already exist on our site and it won't actually drive more people to your page. Oh and you'll continue to exist on our site, no matter what, even if you don't want to and you don't pay us anything at all". Why bother wasting money when it doesn't actually do anything for you?

Comment

Our hotel uses groupon but they don't actually book the rooms or have a certain number of rooms that they book. When a guest purchases the deal on groupon, it prints off a voucher that they can use to pay for the room when they get here. They still have to call and reserve with us directly. They just inform us that they have a groupon for their stay and we set the rate accordingly. We actually get A LOT of business from groupon. I would say we probably get 20-25 of the vouchers every day.
                "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
                X