Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW - I forgot one important person, Randy Moller (look him up on Youtube).

HE SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORES!!! I can't believe it's not butter!!
    HE SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORES!!! Pour some sugar on me!
    HE SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORES!!! Oh my god, they killed Kenny!
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I could have seen the freight train that seems to have hit the Red Wings. I know its not over yet, but the Lady is warming up.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        I am not enough of a hockey guy to know how illegal that hit was, to be honest. Since the sportscasters seemed to think it was pretty foul, I'll go with them. I definitely don't think it was anywhere near the Bertuzzi incident, though.
        The only thing that I can personally think of that approaches Bertuzzi on Moore would have been Marty McSorley going after Donald Brashears a year or two before Bertuzzi - purely intentional stick to the head, you could see Brashears having a seizure after his head hit the ice. *shudder*

But even then McSorely didn't intentionally jump on Brashears, driving him headfirst into the ice.

Bertuzzi was actually "avenging" a hit Moore put on the Canucks captain in a game in Denver a week or two previous. Hard hit, but it was clean - led with the shoulder and was on the ice, no leaving the skates.

Generally the NHL is supposed to be cracking down on shots to the head, and one of the big "of course it is bad" indicators is if someone leaves their skates to deliver a hit. Torres certainly did that, so I'll be shocked if he's in uniform even if the Coyotes make it to the Cup Finals.

Leaving skates = lowering head & leading with the helmet in the NFL. SUPPOSED to be an easy call. Amazing how 4 officials missed the Torres-Hossa hit. Linesmen in the NHL do have the ability to call major penalties.

I am all for good, HARD hitting, CLEAN hockey and I have no problems with fights in game between two willing participants...but sooner or later, just like in the NFL, someone is going to be killed on the ice/field. They need to crack down hard.

Heck......they didn't even require helmets until the very end of the 1970s, and grandfathered in existing players. (Was so strange to see Craig MacTavish playing without a helmet in the mid 1990s....he was the last) So they have taken steps in the past, there is precedent.

Comment

That Torres hit looked nasty. I guess the league really means it when they say they are cracking down on hits to the head.

Comment

And yet another overtime game in the Coyotes-Blackhawks series. Guess it wouldn't seem right if they didn't go to an extra period yet again. Four games, four overtimes. Kind of weird how that keeps on happening.

But shockingly, for the first time in this whole series, there was actually a two goal lead at one point, albeit a very short-lived one. First time in the whole series that either team has led by more than one goal. Talk about a close series!

But the good thing is, it isn't THAT close, as now the Coyotes have a 3-1 lead as they head back to the desert to hopefully close out the Hawks. Probably in overtime.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
              That Torres hit looked nasty. I guess the league really means it when they say they are cracking down on hits to the head.
              Shall we spin the NHL Wheel Of Justice?

note: set to playoff mode ON before spinning.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                Shall we spin the NHL Wheel Of Justice?

note: set to playoff mode ON before spinning.
                Way things are going, I'm beginning to think the Cup Finals will be between the composite East team made from players not injured or suspended versus the Composite West team made from those players not injured or suspended.

Oh well, I'm a Sens fan thru and thru, so I'm cheering for them, though I usually just watch the scoreboard a few times during the evening and/or check in the morning. Still I did see that OT goal a couple nites back; that was sweet. Not positive they can beat the rangers, but they are putting up a damn good (and clean!) fight. Both of those teams are. (Other than that hit on Alfie)

Comment

*grumble grumble* Red Wings. *grumble grumble* damn Predators.
                  Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                  Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth dragon_wings View Post
                    *grumble grumble* Red Wings. *grumble grumble* damn Predators.
                    The Wings have had too many injuries at the end of the season. Kind of doesn't help with cohesion. It's kind of sad given the gangbusters start they had.

Comment

Holy frijoles.......Raffi Torres (the guy from Phoenix who laid Hossa out) has been suspended for TWENTY FIVE GAMES.

I don't care if it was nearly 10 years ago - that just makes the NHL handling of situations like Bertuzzi-Moore all the more pathetic.

I didn't think that the league had the stones to lay the hammer down like that.

Comment

25 games for a hit that I have seen far worse than in these very playoffs? Please. While I can understand a difference between the punishments handed out 10 years ago and those this year, since the NHL has been focusing more on the concussion problem in the last year or two, I would like to seem some semblance of consistency within the same year!

That being said, the loss of Torres doesn't matter. Coyotes win in 5 tonight. And the fans will HOOOOOWWWWWLLLLL!!!!!

Still A Customer."

Comment

A large part of the reason it was 25 games is because this is now the SIXTH time Torres has had ot be disciplined by the league for these types of hits.
                          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Yeah, personal history often does (and often should) play a part in such disciplinary actions. If this had been his first such hit, or if they merely looked at the hit in a vacuum, without knowing Torres' history, I have no doubt the suspension would have been far less than what it was.

Still, I do wonder about some of the other suspensions handed down these playoffs....

Still A Customer."

Comment

Nice work! The Capitals score a goal on a BLATANTLY off-sides play and yet somehow the linesman missed it. Seriously? Both skates in the offensive zone when he takes the up-ice pass is OFF SIDES!!
                              "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Sigh..I am sad for my team (Pens)..but think they had a great season and made an awesome effort in their comeback.

Comment

Working...
                                X