This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently, I'm just being "difficult"

So I've been at the new job for a month now! And I think I've lucked out so far with not having too many SCs...oh I have had them, but they mainly haven't bothered me much...

But this bitch from yesterday...

She and her teenage son come in with a trolley that has 4 boxes of ceramic tiles to return. I take the reciept and start my thing. I am aware that these are heavy, but I can usually manage one box (and I'm weak!) so I ask nicely "Could you just lift one of the boxes up here for me to check the barcode?"

I knew things were gonna go badly when she fucking flipped at lid at THAT.

"You aren't honestly expecting ME to pick them up!?" (How did you get them in the trolley?). "I'm NOT picking them up, they are heavy!"

Before I could say anything else, the son says happily he'll do it and picks one up, and I say thanks. I start to compare barcodes. Then I say to her "Ok, could you just look at the other boxes you have for me, and tell what the last 3 digits of the barcodes are, just to see if they match?"

Apparently, I'm a bitch for asking this. She's absolutely went ballistic.

"I am NOT doing that, why should I!?" I explain that I just need to check the barcodes, she doesn't have to lift them, I do understand they are heavy. "OH DO YOU NOW? Well YOU weren't going to lift them!" I say I will be lifting them into the flooring trollet behind me when I'm done serving her and she sarcastically snaps "YEAH I'M SURE!" She consistently refuses just to fucking LOOK at some numbers, so I have to go all the way around the counter to come and look for myself. At which point she starts getting personal.

"You're just really difficult, aren't you!" she drawled. I was getting angry but also shaking.

"Look, I'm new and I'm just trying to do my job the best I can."

"Yeah, of course you are. Well you don't know how to do your job. I'm going to be having WORDS with someone about YOU, I'm going to find a manager and make a complaint about you."

"Look, all I asked what that you look at some numbers-" I stopped myself there, because I was about to snap "Its not fucking difficult".

"You're just difficult and nasty!" Etc etc etc.

I go back, shaking and deciding to refuse to speak unless necessary. I complete the refund and then she lays into me again for not giving her enough money back. Thats when I paused, looked at my reciepts and realised that when I got flustered (I wonder why?) I had accidentally only refunded 3 boxes and not 4.

"I'm sorry, I see my mistake now, I only refunded you 3 instead of 4."

"YEAH YOU DID!"

"But thats alright, I can just refund you the one now."

"YEAH YOU WILL!"

"Its a simple mistake to recitfy, I won't be a moment."

"YEAH YOU'LL DO THAT RIGHT NOW!!!"

Once she was gone, the next customer assured me I had done nothing wrong, that she had been so disgusted- and that the SC's son had been so embarressed he was staring at the floor!

I still gave my managers a heads up about a potential complaint headed their way

Wow. Who pissed in her corflakes this morning?

At least her son had the courtesy to be embarrassed. I'm not surprised he didn't say anything, though. He has to live with that harpy.

Hopefully your supervisors will side with you if she does complain, although that might be too much work for her. We can hope, anyway.
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
      Wow. Who pissed in her corflakes this morning?
      My bad....

She was completely out of line most customers will try help you out in some little way, not just stand there and do sweet f.a.

Comment

That's when you can compose yourself slowly, and make sure you're doing things slowly second by second to piss her off even more.

Comment

If I was the customer behind her I would have ripped into her for being such a rotten beeyotch.

Comment

Quoth Brojekk View Post
            If I was the customer behind her I would have ripped into her for being such a rotten beeyotch.
            Same here. "All it takes for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing." These SCs act the way they do because they know nobody has the guts to call them on their crap. I have called SCs on their crap before, and the deer-in-the-headlights look they get on their faces is priceless.

You did nothing wrong, LRR, that customer was just being a grade-A bitch. I've had a couple of customers like that. You just give them stony politeness, do not let them see they are getting to you, and give them a big, hearty "See You Next Time" as they leave.
            Last edited by XCashier; 05-17-2012, 02:45 PM.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
              Same here. "All it takes for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing." These SCs act the way they do because they know nobody has the guts to call them on their crap. I have called SCs on their crap before, and the deer-in-the-headlights look they get on their faces is priceless.

You did nothing wrong, LRR, that customer was just being a grade-A bitch. I've had a couple of customers like that. You just give them stony politeness, do not let them see they are getting to you, and give them a big, hearty "See You Next Time" as they leave.
              I agree, an SC will be sucky no matter what, even if you do everything perfectly.

And I love pwning an SC in line ahead of me in a store. Really makes my day.

To be honest, I try never to go shopping if I am short on time, and I rarely mind a brand new cashier making a mistake as long as we can get it corrected, everybody has to learn at some time or another. I don't even mind working with a new server in a restaurant, I know enough from being in the kitchen that I can even offer the occasional hint.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Hugs. As others have said, try to just tune out the ones who have to find something to complain about - smiling and acting like they're being nice to you just aggravates them to no end, so do that and have fun watching them try to figure out how to compalin that you're being too nice

I'd love to post signs in stores (except it wouldn't help cause we all know SC's don't read signs) -
                "We employ human beings in our store - please treat them as such.
                They are not Gods, so yes, they do occasionally make mistakes
                They are not your personal servants, so cannot cater to your every whim
                They are not robots, so they do have feelings
                They do not posess ESP, so you must actually tell them what you want
                They are hired to take your money to complete a business transaction, and to uphold store policies - anything above that is an addeed bonus.
                Treat our employees with courtesy, dignity and respect, and they will return the favor.

Madness takes it's toll....
                Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Most people are understanding when I tell them I can't lift more than 10 pounds due to restrictions. But one lady stared at me as if I had 3 heads. Just because someone is young, it doesn't mean she doesn't have limitations. I've also been bellowed at by some lady who was mad I wouldn't take her cart; I couldn't hand-push more than 5 at the time. Now it's 2. I can't wait for the next time I get screamed at. [/sarcasm]
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Wow, what a bitch
                    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                    What's the difference?
                    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth Little Retail Rabbit View Post
                      "You're just difficult and nasty!"
                      I hate it when THEY call YOU exactly what THEY are. >: (
                      Each one of us has a special place just like the Evergreen Forest. Enchanting, sparkling, and perfect. And, like the flowers that bloom there... fragile.

Comment

It doesn't sound like you were the one being difficult. Someone was projecting...
                        It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                        -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Quoth Brojekk View Post

This. How come whenever I go out anywhere I never see SC's acting like such assholes? I'd love to tear into one of them for treating an employee like dirt.

Comment

This is funny to me because I get the opposite problem. I work in a pool store and there are heavy chlorine jugs (10L) that I fill and lift and bag. Sometimes customers want carry outs and I step forward to do it. Oh and I'm a girl. Despite having seen me do all the lifting and filling moments prior, they suddenly get all "Oh I meant a man" or "you poor thing, you can't get a boy to lift that for you?".

I think you handled the situation as best you could. Sometimes people are just looking to be nasty.

Comment

I've had the opposite situation as well fairly frequently back when I worked at Military GameStore. I'm used to carrying heavy objects (geo majors, rocks rocks rocks) so picking up consoles and guitar hero bundles wasn't a big deal, but try convincing one of the soldiers of that...
                              Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
                              Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
                              -Unknown Author

Comment

Working...
                              X