Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wait...you want a discount because of WHAT??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait...you want a discount because of WHAT??

I haven't posted many stories lately, mainly because my primary job has nothing to do with customer service (I know, it's great ).

But I still work at the games store from time to time and boy did I have a memorable one there the other night.

This guy comes up to buy the Amazing Spiderman for PS3, swipes his card and...insufficient funds. Oh boy, here we go.

Of course he just stands there with a dumb look for a moment before saying (you guessed it) "that can't be right, I know there's money in there." I tell him there's nothing we can do it's between him and his bank. He leaves and I thought that was the end of it...oh how wrong I was.

So he comes back in a few minutes later, says he checked his account and everything is kosher, can he try again?

Now our policy is no reswipes on insufficient funds so I have to clear this request with manager K. She says to do it so I run it again...insufficient funds.

The guy FLIPS OUT and spends a good minute or two ranting about "I looked at my account, the money is there, I know it's there!". Eventually he calms down and leaves.

I wish that was end of it, but we're just getting to the good part.

He returns about 15 minutes later and tells me he called his bank and he only has $45 available right now. This is of course, NOT enough to buy a $59 game. What he says next floors me:

"Is there any way you guys can cut me a break here? I'm trying to buy this as a birthday gift for my kid."

Taken somewhat aback, I attempted to clarify the situation to see if he actually wanted what I thought he wanted...

"So if I am understanding this correctly you want a $15 discount on this game so you'll be able to afford it with the little bit of money that's available in your bank account?"

"Yes...is that going to be a problem?"

(Why no not all, I'll just go ahead and sell this to you for BELOW COST because you can't keep track of your money...)

"Yeah...we can't really do that. I mean the lack of money in your bank
    account is no fault of ours. We're not obligated to give you any kind of discount."

(of course we all know what happens next...)

"Can I speak to a manager please?"

I summon K over and the guy repeats the whole story while begging and groveling for a discount. Fortunately K is no fool.

"Firstly sir, we only give discounts for certain things and as CC already told you, your lack of funds is a problem we have nothing to do with. Secondly, a $15 discount is practically unheard of for a less than two week old game outside of a Black Friday sale. It would be different if it was only a dollar or two but $15 is simply too much. I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do for you."

So he finally gives up, but not before the coup de grace:

"Well I hope you're happy, you've ruined my sons birthday!"

I swear I never knew so many SCisms could be packed into a single transaction.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

No, HE ruined HIS son's birthday. Say it with me now "Lack of planning on your part..." You know the rest...lol.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
      Well I hope you're happy, you've ruined my sons birthday!"
      Cause him actually having enough money before obviously promising his kid something is the fault of the store, of course.

I wanna be a Vulcan in my next life, please? My head just can't handle the total lack of logic on this planet.

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
        I wanna be a Vulcan in my next life, please? .
        I think I might prefer to become what an old friend calls a "Vulculan" (yes, I know that's technically redundant)...Vulcan capacity for logic, Romulan capacity for kickassability
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          I think I might prefer to become what an old friend calls a "Vulculan" (yes, I know that's technically redundant)...Vulcan capacity for logic, Romulan capacity for kickassability
          I was going to point out that Spock is quite capable of kicking ass...

Then remembered that Spock is only half-Vulcan.

Then remembered that I was recalling Quinto-Spock, not Nimoy-Spock.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

A lack of funding on your part does not generate any sympathy on mine.
            Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
            Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
              A lack of funding on your part does not generate any sympathy on mine.
              lol nice one.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                I was going to point out that Spock is quite capable of kicking ass...
                That he is... I just think that most Vulcans, and Spock moreso (because he "wants" to be a Real Vulcan (tm) so badly, would do everything in their power to avoid doing so. Their ancestors were some bad muthas, as I recall, which is exactly WHY they focus so much on logic -- they don't wanna go back to the old ways.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Before the SC revealed how much money was in his account, I could somewhat sympathize. I was had a transaction declined at 7-11. This scared the hell out of me so I hurried to go check my balance. Turns out nothing funny was going on and I just chalked it up to an error with their machines.
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Hey, I can't afford that Jaguar XJ220 .. I have zip in my account..can you just give it to me?
                    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                      Hey, I can't afford that Jaguar XJ220 .. I have zip in my account..can you just give it to me?
                      In a topic about a video game store, the car was not the first thing that came to mind when you mentioned the Jaguar.
                      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I'm guilty (sadly) sometimes of not always keeping track of my funds like I should. But to demand a discount because he couldn't keep track of his funds and scream about how CC and his manager "ruined his son's birthday"?!! Get the fuck outta here.
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                          No, HE ruined HIS son's birthday. Say it with me now "Lack of parenting on your part..." You know the rest...lol.
                          Fixed it for you.

SC
                          "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                            "So if I am understanding this correctly you want a $15 discount on this . . . .
                            "Yes...is that going to be a problem?"
                            "Not for us!"

Quoth Mytical View Post
                            I use this analogy pretty often amongst "friends" on the verge of SC behavior. "They have to give it to me for this price because..." Uhm, no. If that were true, I could walk onto a car dealer's lot and get a TT for 3k instead of 30. Or half off, or whatever illogical line of thought the friend is pursuing. For some reason it seems to sink in better when the amounts are larger. Like multiple small purchases aren't the same.

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                            Before the SC revealed...I could somewhat sympathize....chalked it up to an error with their machines.
                            Ditto. At first I thought maybe SC was telling the truth (What? It does happen occasionally. ) But even if the most common reason for a flush account getting declined, a hold place by a gas station or some such, was true, there's nothing the game store can do about it.

Comment

Most of our credit card machines crash if you breathe on them now, so I've had to deal with declines both legitimate and for no reason at all (sunspots, gremlins, etc). If a card comes back with the plain "Declined" message we aren't allowed to retry that card, but most of them we can. There are one or two error messages that are so cryptic even the managers don't know what they mean so with those we've just been told to reswipe, then ask for another card if it fails a second time.
                              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                              X