This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    I'm with Cole's Law on this one...it would have been far longer than an hour.
    I thought Cole's Law was thinly sliced cabbage?
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

No, it's thinly sliced cabbage and other goodies. Usually, but not always, carrots, mayonnaise or some other dressing, perhaps even green onions. I actually consider myself a connoisseur of the stuff, and I have had some great versions and some truly wretched versions. Oddly, though, as much as I like it, I have never actually made any myself. May have to give it a go sometimes soon......

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        The cab company closes at 8pm??? WTF? What happens if someone goes out to party and is too drunk to drive home?
        Yeah, but they're the only one in town. They have NO competition. Their big business is transporting seniors around. After 6pm that business dries up. Oh, and while they CLOSE a 8pm, their last pick up is 7:30pm.

SC
        "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

I ... But ... Why couldn't the stranded guests ride in the car as it was being towed?
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I think the law precludes a tow truck driver from moving an occupied vehicle.

Right, Argabarga?

SC
            "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
              I think the law precludes a tow truck driver from moving an occupied vehicle.

Right, Argabarga?

SC
              The DOT will fine you so hard you won't know which way is up if they catch you doing that. NOBODY rides in a towed vehicle, it's against the law, and we've driven away and left people stranded when they refuse to comply with that.
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

A while back, I read in the trade press (I believe it was Road King magazine) about someone who had made a "super limo" out of an 18 wheeler. Part of the licensing requirement was that they needed a second person in the cab (station was actually in what used to be the sleeper) monitoring the goings-on in the trailer. Otherwise, it would have been illegal to have passengers in the trailer when the vehicle was moving.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

TTD: Yeah, yeah, I see how you treat your guests. <hangs up>
                  I'm wondering if that was really the TTD or just the customers being pissy.

ME: You can go have that kind of fun in your room then.

SC
                  BAH. leave us hanging there!

but I too agree with Cole's Law.
                  As a former runner an easy light jog was 10 minutes a mile back when I was in high school. But we were in shape.

My fastest x-country time was about 22 minutes for 3.1 miles (i don't remember my exact time cos this was about 20 years ago). So, even at that pace, it would have taken me over an hour to run 10 miles.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                    The DOT will fine you so hard you won't know which way is up if they catch you doing that. NOBODY rides in a towed vehicle, it's against the law, and we've driven away and left people stranded when they refuse to comply with that.
                    Just wondering when this law was implemented, because I remember back around 1977 or thereabouts, when my father's POS '72 Plymouth ran out of gas on the NJ Turnpike, the tow operator just hooked up the car and towed it to the nearest exit, with all five of us still in it. I still remember him stopping at the tollbooth twice, once for his own toll and once so my dad could pay his.

(Car had busted gas gauge, mechanic didn't want to touch it when there was gas in the tank, and we didn't usually let it get below 1/2 tank. Basically we calculated miles driven at 12MPG to know when to fill up, but some shmuck at the Molly Pitcher station sold us 2 gallons of gas and charged us for 22, so we had less than we thought. We think he didn't reset the pump to zero after the car ahead of us left. Wonder if he pocketed the difference himself.)

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                      No shuttle service & too late to call a cab? They could have walked the 10 miles. At a brisk pace they could get to the hotel in about an hour. That's what legs are for...lol.
                      On average, a human walks about 3 miles per hour. Most people can't do a brisk enough walk to do any faster. I'm better it took close to 4 hours to make the walk, since most people would need to stop and rest.

Hope it wasn't too hot, and they had access to water, even at night.
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                        Just wondering when this law was implemented, because I remember back around 1977 or thereabouts, when my father's POS '72 Plymouth ran out of gas on the NJ Turnpike, the tow operator just hooked up the car and towed it to the nearest exit, with all five of us still in it. I still remember him stopping at the tollbooth twice, once for his own toll and once so my dad could pay his.
                        Don't know, but it's been like that since I've been towing, and even if it wasn't, thanks to today's hyper-litigious society, we'd probably refuse to do it even if there was no law.
                        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Oh; here in the UK towtrucks don't tend to have room for anyone but staff unless it's a beavertail, or occasionally a large spec-lift. If the vehicle's not disabled that it requires a flatbed then you usually have to ride in the car as it's pole-towed.

And now, back to the topic.
                          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
                          X