Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Unsupportable > Tech help

HDD enclosure
Old 02-22-2021, 04:27 AM
stressed out broke pizza guy

Location: In the land of Green and Gold eating Pepperoni with an UZI
Default HDD enclosure

OK this is one for my books. I just got a new PC not long ago and was in the process of xfering my backup drive to the new computer. MY backup drive died. I still have my old PC and I am going remove the HDD (It still is good????) and am looking for advise on a HDD case/enclosure/device so that I can hook up old HDD to new PC via USB. I have done this before but I think when I cleaned/purged a couple of years ago i tossed the enclosure and power cord

any recommendations ??? I use Newegg and Triger Direct

Thx

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Old 02-22-2021, 12:57 PM
The Hero CS Deserves

Yeah, the internal drive could still be fine unless it was throwing errors before the backup drive crapped out. Did the old (non-backup) drive and/or system crap out at the same time, or did the backup drive just stop sending data?

I've used a number of random enclosures and adaptors over the years, and even cheap ones have always worked just fine (even the really generic ones like Rosewill). If you're just gonna use it for a one-time thing, a cheap one should be fine, e.g. a $10~15 one.

"I have always thought that when customers tell you 'Im never shopping here again,' they view that as a threat, we hear it as a promise, but it always turns out to be a lie." ~ 'AdoptsDEATHsCats', reddit
Acts of Gord Read it, Learn it, Love it!
"Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me
"[Friendship,] like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival. ~ C. S. Lewis

Old 02-22-2021, 05:35 PM
Heavy Metal Admin

This is the one I've been using. It's a little pricey than what Eric is talking about, but it's been working great for me.
Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Old 02-23-2021, 04:24 AM
stressed out broke pizza guy

Location: In the land of Green and Gold eating Pepperoni with an UZI

Quote:
Quoth EricKei View Post
Yeah, the internal drive could still be fine unless it was throwing errors before the backup drive crapped out. Did the old (non-backup) drive and/or system crap out at the same time, or did the backup drive just stop sending data?

I've used a number of random enclosures and adaptors over the years, and even cheap ones have always worked just fine (even the really generic ones like Rosewill). If you're just gonna use it for a one-time thing, a cheap one should be fine, e.g. a $10~15 one.
Regarding My old PC without warning Win 7 would not let me log in after I had done a reboot. It threw up a bad password error. I assume the old HDD is good

My external backup (backed up at least one a day for about 6 years) just stopped responding and Win 10 informed me the drive had malfunctioned

Thanks Mike --- all in one and big enough for me to notice and not purge it.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Last edited by Racket_Man; 02-23-2021 at 04:28 AM.