Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home-made SLR camera: What do you think of this guy's skills as a machinist?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home-made SLR camera: What do you think of this guy's skills as a machinist?

(I already posted this at photo.net, but I don't see many posters from here there, so here goes: )

Here's a guy who created an M42-mount SLR body, completely from scratch, to his own design, using machine tools in his garage. The only commercially manufactured parts he used were the shutter curtain fabric, the screws and the ball bearings; everything else was made from sheet metal and bar stock.

Original thread, with comments, in French: http://www.collection-appareils.fr/p...hp?f=37&t=6946

English translation, without comments: http://www.collection-appareils.fr/p...hp?f=37&t=8822

I am personally amazed, even awe-struck, by this man's skills, and no less by his self-confidence in even attempting such a project. The thing looks really professional; it's a lot prettier than some commercially produced cameras (Kodak 35RF anyone?) and it takes nice photos, too: he posted some samples at the end of the thread.

(And the thought of some collector fifty years from now coming across this home-made "DM-Flex", trying to figure out where it came from, and failing utterly because it's not going to be in any of the reference books (and who makes cameras in France anyway?) , made me giggle.)
    Last edited by Shalom; 05-26-2010, 08:54 PM.

This is insane. A true SLR is a precision instrument, the timing in the shutter mechanism has to be pretty freaking spot-on. He also has some hardcore tools there. This is definitely not something the every-day man could undertake.

I can read French, but I'm having a hard time following bits of this... Is it fully manual, or did he manage to add some extras on, things like aperture priority and shutter priority?

Making the lens mount by hand completely blows me away. This entire thing is crazy... Sometimes only the true focus of insanity can produce something this awesome!

Comment

That's amazing.

Comment

Working...
      X