This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8,800 Pennies

A guy pays for a $88.00 tow in...pennies.

Police is called...

So much fun...

LINK

Comment

well he was right, even if it was a bit sucky, though right now im thinking he should have just asked the police to arrest her or something for her continues refusale to follow the law.

Comment

Chances are he was parked illegally so he decided to make the towing company's live miserable?

I'm glad I'm not his "friend".
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Didn't he call 911?
          Wouldn't that be seen as a blatant misuse of the 911 emergency number?

Funny or not, just that action right there makes him a dick.

Comment

Quoth SansDoute View Post
            Didn't he call 911?
            Wouldn't that be seen as a blatant misuse of the 911 emergency number?

Funny or not, just that action right there makes him a dick.
            well he had a ligament (but again sucky) reason

company A was saying for him to retrieve his car he had to pay X amount.
            He provided legal payment per federal law.
            they refused, violating a federally enforced law. he either could call 911 (seeing as the non-emergency line most likely wouldn't get an officer out there that day and that would mean more fees illegally charged) and let the police give the woman the 411 and make her follow the federal law or contact a lawyer, the feds and the police, sue and possible get the tow yard closed down for good and have everyone lose their jobs.

now yes this it is sucky to go out of your way to pay with change/pennies.
            Unless he honestly only had pennies.

If he had an $8,800 fine/bill and he tried to pay in 1s they wouldn't deny the payment would they?
            pennies should be NO DIFFERENT!
            yeah it is tedious to count but honestly if your worried about the amount being off ifs easy to write up a payment receipt that says if money tendered is found to be wrong he is responsible for the difference plus an additional percentage or something like that.

i mean it was drastic and i suppose if he called the non emergency line he could claim they had no right to charge him for an extra day because he showed up the previous day with the money and they refused it ( if the police couldnt get there that day) or he could have all along contacted the non-emergency line. And honestly do you want to see the lovely event that would unfold if this thing would had to be drawn on another day.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
              well he had a ligament (but again sucky) reason

company A was saying for him to retrieve his car he had to pay X amount.
              He provided legal payment per federal law.
              they refused, violating a federally enforced law. he either could call 911 (seeing as the non-emergency line most likely wouldn't get an officer out there that day and that would mean more fees illegally charged) and let the police give the woman the 411 and make her follow the federal law or contact a lawyer, the feds and the police, sue and possible get the tow yard closed down for good and have everyone lose their jobs.

now yes this it is sucky to go out of your way to pay with change/pennies.
              Unless he honestly only had pennies.

If he had an $8,800 fine/bill and he tried to pay in 1s they wouldn't deny the payment would they?
              pennies should be NO DIFFERENT!
              yeah it is tedious to count but honestly if your worried about the amount being off ifs easy to write up a payment receipt that says if money tendered is found to be wrong he is responsible for the difference plus an additional percentage or something like that.

i mean it was drastic and i suppose if he called the non emergency line he could claim they had no right to charge him for an extra day because he showed up the previous day with the money and they refused it ( if the police couldnt get there that day) or he could have all along contacted the non-emergency line. And honestly do you want to see the lovely event that would unfold if this thing would had to be drawn on another day.

UMMMMM no it is NOT Federal LAW that ANY gov agency or business accept any and all legal US tender or coin. It may be legal tender but there is NO law stating that a business MUST accept $88.00 in pennies. Yeah it may be a funny thing to try or you may want to try and send a "message" but if the business' policy (or whim) is NOT to accept above a certain amount in coins tough luck. Just look at all of the businesses that will not accept US paper bills of $50 and $100.

The local police (if they do indeed know the Federal statues) would have laughed the guy off of the phone even if he went through the non-emergency number

Please see the link below for the US Treasury Dept answer (the answer is the first question on the FAQ)
              http://www.ustreas.gov/education/faq...l-tender.shtml
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

If you want to debate about the legality of tender, take it to fratching. This is not the time, nor the place. Keep it up and I will hand out infractions.
                The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

i remember one of my friends did that once, but it was only like 4 or 5 dollars in pennies.

and she also asked first to be polite. The store, as it turned out, was running low on pennies, so they were actually very happy with the transaction.

but that's a good point... they're whining when in reality it was their own fault to begin with
                  Last edited by PepperElf; 06-01-2010, 01:45 PM.

Comment

I have a strong distaste for immature behavior like this. I recall that the NY Thruway had signs on their tollbooths years ago that said "NO 20's" The highest a toll could be at the time was under five dollars (and that was if you drove the entire 250 mile length) so they didn't want to have all that cash on hand to give out change. The message was: be prepared with the right change.
                    Testing
                    "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

i'll have to check that the next time I'm on I90
                      I remember the ones about "canadian currency discounted 25%" but i'll look for that one too.

though normally I try to give them exact change.
                      My usual toll is now 6.05 and that's exactly what I give them. One 5-dollar bill, a one-dollar bill, and a nickel. As well as a smile and a thank you.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                        i'll have to check that the next time I'm on I90
                        I remember the ones about "canadian currency discounted 25%" but i'll look for that one too.

though normally I try to give them exact change.
                        My usual toll is now 6.05 and that's exactly what I give them. One 5-dollar bill, a one-dollar bill, and a nickel. As well as a smile and a thank you.
                        Like I said, this was years ago, I don't know whether they still are posted. I think they were there because most tolls were one or two dollars.
                        Testing
                        "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

ah good point.
                          the tolls just went up in the past year too.

use to be just 5.75 for my usual trip.

Comment

Working...
                          X