X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• college credit for Walmart training

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37493838...siness-retail/

I kid you not.

WTF...and I wonder if that American Public University is legit.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
      WTF...and I wonder if that American Public University is legit.

American Public University is a regionally accrediated insituation (just like any state school)

I work at a college, and we offer college credits for college level learning. So it is legit. McD's offers similiar training for there workers, too. Basically, the idea is you do not have to sit in a classroom to learn something and if you are leraning something that is college level you should get credit for it.

Comment

OMG OMG ONE SEC! *scoures her book case*

firebirds rising (an anthologu i love) has a story called Hives bye Kara Dalkey set about 30- 40 years in the future where one of things it boasts is education sponsed by corperations so you would got to Walmart Academy or Microsoft university or even Big Bobs Bible school. The public schools are horrid and if you have any cash at all you send your kid to one of the corperate schools.

its happening!!! Kara Dalkey knows the future!!! next step the hive phones........

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
          firebirds rising (an anthologu i love) has a story called Hives bye Kara Dalkey set about 30- 40 years in the future where one of things it boasts is education sponsed by corperations so you would got to Walmart Academy or Microsoft university or even Big Bobs Bible school. The public schools are horrid and if you have any cash at all you send your kid to one of the corperate schools.
          It was also in Idiocracy.

"You got your law degree at Costo?"

"Yeah, I couldn't believe it either!"
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Walmart Academy
            Actually, there's already a University of Walmart in Fayetteville, AR.

*ahem*

(Go State!)
            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Ok, so after reading through the article I'm less skeptical about it. It sounds like they'd be doing full-length training seminars on topics like what are covered in some classes. So it's not the on-the-floor training that they're talking about. I think it makes sense to give credit for classroom hours. PROVIDED that Walmart is going to show some sort of evidence that the classes are up to the required standards.

Comment

no i mean like high school not college i was just mentioning that well we are only how many steps away from that?

Comment

no i mean like high school not college i was just mentioning that well we are only how many steps away from that?
                  I know. I just couldn't resist the opportunity to slam my alma mater's evil rival.

Carry on....

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                    I know. I just couldn't resist the opportunity to slam my alma mater's evil rival.

Carry on....
                    BAH! Why bring up that cow college? :P
                    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

To a certain extent, it makes sense. There's every chance this could generate employee loyalty for Walmart, and there's no organisation that's ever lost out by having a better trained workforce. However, the other side is that people will get qualifications and higher expectations, thus making it more likely that they'll wander off.

*ponder*

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post
                        BAH! Why bring up that cow college? :P
                        I think you mean pig college.

Comment

Working...
                        X