This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What part of caustic chemical burn don't you understand

So SC gets to till and we go through the usual spiel and I reach for her bags to start packing. A couple seconds later I notice tingling in my hand and as I have some rather severe nerve damage I look down to check that I haven't accidentally severed my hand or something. Nope, but whatever she had in that bag previously was some kind of chemical and not the kind one should touch without gloves. I immediately get someone to take over, call someone to replace the already packed groceries in that bag (clearly if whatever's causing that reaction with my hand is on the bag you probably don't want to be eating whatever food was in that bag, and I tell my replacement to wear gloves just in case. Our gloves suck but it should give some protection at least. Of course, the SC flips her shit. Saying I shouldn't abandon customers mid order and how dare I get someone else to do my job and don't I have any work ethic.... Blah blah blah. We did toss the contaminated bag but we gave her a free replacement (that was actually better as it didn't have holes in it) because we are legally required to. We can't give back something we know will harm a customer.

The funny bit is she tried to say that it was the plastic in the bags that was causing a reaction and I must just be sensitive (I look at her hands and notice they also have slight chemical burns to them. I do offer first aid but they don't have to accept).
    Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

WTH? She hurt you by showing up with a contaminated bag and then blamed you? Wow. She really sucks.

Comment

Oh, you've suffered a horribly painful injury. Yeah, whatever slacker, get back to work. WTF is wrong with people?
      D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
      Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Looks more like a mild case of road rash then a case of Chernobyl zombie hand but still, you'd think that with a visual reaction that her self-preservation would kick in. After all, it's her bag, her groceries, and her who will be carrying/unpacking them. Even if she didn't care about other people at all then at least have enough sense to keep yourself out of danger. It's not like I didn't have someone take over so she still got her groceries through on time. Or that we gave her a free reuseable bag to replace her contaminated one. Imagine if she had gotten home and ate her produce without properly washing it?

She reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once: "I'm not saying get rid of all the stupid people, just remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."
        Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
          WTH? She hurt you by showing up with a contaminated bag and then blamed you? Wow. She really sucks.
          'Murica has a serious problem coping with reality anymore. All the customer knows is that she has been 'inconvenienced', and everything else, in her mind, is irrelevant.

Comment

Thing is, AkaiKitsune doesn't reside in 'Murica. Yes, the mentality has spread, and continues to spread.
            Don't mind me, I'll be over there, peeling off a few warning stickers.

Comment

So what exact chemical or product was it that did this???
              "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                So what exact chemical or product was it that did this???
                Only the SC might reasonably be expected to know, and it would appear they didn't.
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quite a few dry laundry products will cheerfully eat holes in your skin...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

At OldJob, we identified one person who 'washed' her reusable shopping bags with cleaning chemicals that should be nowhere near food (and going by the smell, she didn't rinse them properly, if at all). According to her the bags aren't 'real cloth' so can't ever go in the washer (what happened to hosing them down with the showerhead?). Word quickly spread among the cashiers and baggers to not touch her bags.
                    Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
                    She reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once: "I'm not saying get rid of all the stupid people, just remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."
                    I now need to find that sticker
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                      Thing is, AkaiKitsune doesn't reside in 'Murica.
                      I did not know that. Thank you for pointing it out.

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      Quite a few dry laundry products will cheerfully eat holes in your skin...
                      I know lye was once used for a variety of purposes, including laundry.

Comment

That's one reason why I prefer bags I make myself out of cloth that can be washed: So that when the bags get dirty I can toss them into the washer. Those ones made from what seems to be woven paper are too hard to keep clean.

Comment

About 3 years ago a co-irker of mine did the same thing with the dishmachine I was deliming Heres your sign

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
                          I did not know that. Thank you for pointing it out.

I know lye was once used for a variety of purposes, including laundry.
                          you would be surprised of the substances that are corrosive in moderate consentrations for example the dish "soap" we have for our dishmachine has a HUGE warning label on the barrel for its consentration corrosiveness -- Yeah one small drop will produce a chemical burn if not washed off NOW.
                          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Cleaning products--ugh. Some concentrated laundry detergent once spilled on my brother's bedroom floor. It smeared the colored pattern of the linoleum. Granted that lino was older than either of us, but I was still appalled. Couldn't believe he was washing his clothes with that stuff!
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Well, depending on the AGE of the lino... I once rented an apartment with lino of unknown age in the kitchen, and it smeared whenever it got wet... No caustic materials needed! Not wonderful, and impossible to keep clean.

Comment

Working...
                              X