This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom got fired

Almost to the day, and almost the same way, that Psycho-Bitch did it.

All last week, the kids were horrible (there was other odd stuff going on that I don't recall the details of). Both she and the nanny were considering putting in notice when school got out.

10PM on Saturday night, she gets a call from the father (on the house phone, which they never used). He's very evasive and milquetoast-y, and what he says is "well, we've decided to go in a different direction with the boys, I'll be in the area tomorrow morning and can stop by and pick up (middle boy's) karate uniform". Mom says "I'll have to think about this" and hangs up.

Now, the wife had said something to mom earlier in the week, but she was never actually verbally fired, just told "don't come in next week" which could mean anything (she did this once before when they went on vacation). We think that she told him to call; as the nanny said "She carries his balls around in her purse." The nanny got fired too via voicemail, and she doesn't think she'll be getting the vacation pay she (along with mom) was promised.

She also told me that the goldfish died finally; the poor fish were on a ledge under the kitchen counter (no natural light at all) and had started turning white. The father's explanation was "they're changing colors to match the marble (countertop)" Mom wonders if maybe they didn't think she killed the fish.

She did talk to a labor lawyer (in MA, there are certain things an employer cannot do to a person over 50, as well as specific 'rules' that need to be followed regarding hiring and firing). Unfortunately there's nothing we can do since there was no written contract. He was very interested in learning that mom never got a 1099 (if she never got one, it's possible that they never gave them to any of the other people they'd hired over the past 10 years). Mom will report the income anyway, and the IRS should be interested in the fact that there's no paperwork for that amount of wages. The lawyer did say that if she didn't get a final check or if it was short then he could get involved.

So mom's looking on the 'sitter' site again, and what does she find but a post from the same family for a nanny/sitter (it was posted the same night that the nanny got the phone call):

"We are seeking a loving, active, and creative babysitter for our three sons. Job responsibilities include pick up from school week daily, helping the boys with homework, transport to and from after school activities. Approximate hours are 3p-7p, with flexibility always appreciated. Warm and nurturing personality, interest in cultivating big brother/big sister relationships with the boys, energy, enthusiasm, reliability, excellent driving record all important qualities we are looking for."

The nanny says this post is much more flowery-sounding than the one she answered...."warm and nurturing personality" sounds like they want a nanny who will go along with their "negotiating" parenting style (you do NOT negotiate with kids. EVER. Especially not these baby sociopaths).

As of now, they've gone through 8 nannies in 10 years. The youngest boy seemed to really be turning around as far as behavior (used to be a terror, now was at least civil and ignoring his brothers' attempts to rile him).

Eh, we'll survive this. At least I have a job now, mom's looking and has a bunch of private clients that will always give her work. She was pondering not going to Ireland next week, but everyone says to go (and a friend is going to pay her for taking some photos).
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 03-27-2012, 01:59 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

No 1099? Ouch.

The IRS is really getting tough on undocumented work and unreported wages.

You might want to mention to the nanny about making sure she's filed all of her documents regarding what she's been paid by them, because if they haven't reported any of that, there's going to be fallout for everybody for at least several years back.

Of course, this is also a good lesson in the value of written contracts.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Mom made sure that she (and the nanny) reported every penny and mom's accountant said that she would be safe and they were the ones that would have to explain things.

I suspect TurboBitch knew what she was doing firing them both at the same time; if mom was fired before the nanny she would have a valid age-discrimination case even without a contract.

Mom's not returning their stuff until she gets her check and the coat she left at the house; she's having a friend drop it off at the hospital the wife works at (but not before she lets them know she got everything). The wife was the one who nuked the business relationship and mom doesn't owe them anything else.

ETA: The father is now saying that "we did not agree on paid vacation for part-time employees" (then why did they pay her a week's vacation last year?) but he has agreed to add $200 to the final check. Which is fine; mom just wants to break this off as cleanly as possible I think.
      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 03-27-2012, 03:33 AM.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
      X