This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuff that makes you feel OLD...

I'm only 30, which is not that old, but it's old enough that I come across things that certainly highlight the fact I've been around this earth for awhile.

Such as:

- Listening to an awesome Pearl Jam song...on a classic rock station.

- The surprise I felt upon learning one of my coworkers at a games store back in 2006 was so young she'd never even played a Super Nintendo

- Having an 8 year-old give you a funny look and say "What the heck is THAT thing?" while hooking up an old VCR.

- Drawing similarly funny looks for using paper phonebooks, paper maps and paper notepads.

- Being asked by a 12 year-old: "So, what were things like before the internet?"

- dialing 411 to get a number, rather than looking it up on Google

- More frequent instances of starting a sentence with: "Back in my day..."

- Seeing the kids of people you went to high school with...starting high school.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

It's a feeling becoming more and more common with me, especially since I really CAN remember what life was like before the internet, and indeed even before personal computers. And I don't FEEL old! Well, mostly. Until threads like this come along. Wait, what was I talking about? Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Hell, I remember when there was no such thing as a cell phone, and even wireless phone handsets were new and strange.

I'm noticing more and more that (especially young) people give you strange looks if you ask whether a phone number is a cell or land line. Give it another 10 years or so and no doubt land lines will only exist for businesses, and even then only some of them. And pay phones have already pretty much gone extinct. I don't think there's a single one left in the town I live in.

Seeing the kids of people I went to high school with.. with kids of their own!

Remembering when gasoline was less than a dollar a gallon.

I grew up listening to 'classic rock' and newer stuff. Still comes as a shock to hear something that I mentally classify as 'new' on a classic station.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Listening to a 30 something grumbling that he is old.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

The knowledge that the kids in high school, today, were born after I graduated and went to college.
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

The first instance I got that made me feel old was several years ago, when I was working at the wholesale club.

They had released a "10th Anniversary Edition" of Toy Story. The first one.

When it came through my line, I actually stopped and stared at it, then admitted to my customer, "Oh, god, this makes me feel OLD."
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

~ Knowing what The 7th Guest and King's Quest are
            ~ People I knew in middle school having kids in elementary school
            ~ Seeing Teen Titans on the same channel (Boomerang) as stuff like The Snorks and the Jetsons.
            ~ Having actually watched The Jetsons and The Flinstones and Yogi Bear as a kid
            ~ Owning second edition prints of the first two Tamora Pierce series (Song of the Lioness and Immortals)
            ~ Likewise, remembering when those were the only two series she had out.
            ~ Remembering when any and all of the following:
            • MTV played actual music videos
            • Live action kid shows were about something besides popularity and having boyfriends being the most important thing ever
            • There was no Food Network
            • Disney channel showed stuff like Gummi Bears, Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, etc.
            • Nickelodeon had things like Rugrats, Doug, Are You Afraid of the Dark, and Salute Your Shorts
            "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth firecat88
              .[*]Nickelodeon had things like Rugrats, Doug, Are You Afraid of the Dark, and Salute Your Shorts
              Kablam! (loved that show)
              CatDog
              Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
              Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                [*]Nickelodeon had things like Rugrats, Doug, Are You Afraid of the Dark, and Salute Your Shorts
                Heck I'm old enough to remember Dangermouse and count duckula on Nick, as well as nick rocks, you can't do that on television, and turkey TV.

I also remember the first non-music stuff on MTV-the game show "remote control'. club MTV, and Just say julie.

my 20 year high school reunion is next year....(started school at age 4 and skipped a year in high school)
                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I remember when the Pittsburgh Pirates....were actually *good*

When I was in high school, there was no 'net, and we had to take Personal Typing. Programming was in BASIC, Pascal, or FORTRAN. C hadn't quite come out yet in '94. The 'internet' then was simply bulletin boards, or CompuServe's network.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                    I remember the Bandwagon. The Washington Redskins Bandwagon.

*crickets*

Yeah, didn't think anyone would remember that...
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I remember when Eddie Murphy was actually funny.
                      The Sinclair ZX-80 computer.
                      The moon landing.

What's now getting to me is that co-workers are being hired who were not only born in the year I got my first car, but they have 10 years experience already in the field!

Now get off my lawn!

<creak! go the joints>

B
                      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                      I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

I remember:
                        Banks, Beckert, Kessinger & Santo

Cookies for the reference.
                        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                        Save the Ales!
                        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Hearing on the news that your teen heart throb just died of a heart attack.

Getting back in touch with long lost younger cousins on facebook (whom you tend to think of as young women) and seeing the pic of their newest grandchild.

Going to a "Children's Museum" and seeing toys you had as a child.

Seeing "retro" housewares that were things you got as wedding gifts.

Finding an "old" ('90's) camera, and having to explain to your granddaughter why it doesn't have a viewscreen on the back.

Remembering a childhood with no computers, no phones wiithout cords, no colour TV (well, I knew a very few people who had one), no cable, no DVDs or VHS, no MP3s or walkmen or even cassettes, no multi-plex cinemas, no Disneyworld (we did have Disneyland), no malls (just shopping centers, saw my first enclosed indoor mall in high school, it was so unique, they had the prom there), no seatbelts, no little hand-held hair dryers, no calculators, no video games, no microwaves (my high school home ec teacher saw one at a convention and raved for days, lol).

I could come up with more, but I'm beginning to get depressed........

Madness takes it's toll....
                          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post

When I was in high school, there was no 'net, and we had to take Personal Typing. Programming was in BASIC, Pascal, or FORTRAN. C hadn't quite come out yet in '94. The 'internet' then was simply bulletin boards, or CompuServe's network.
                            I remember Personal Typing . . . and back in the 80's, we had BASIC, COBOL and RPGII taught in Data Processing.

Dammit kids, getoffmylawn! *slams cane onto porch floor*

Not only did we have CompuServe back then, but we also had Prodigy and QuantumLink (this was a group for Commodore computer owners, which was also the precursor of AOHell.)

What's making me feel old now is, aside from aches and pains I didn't have a couple of years ago, is seeing folks that I went to high school with having kids graduate high school.

Even worse is when you meet someone younger than you who has grandchildren.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Remembering a childhood with no computers, no phones wiithout cords, no colour TV (well, I knew a very few people who had one), no cable, no DVDs or VHS, no MP3s or walkmen or even cassettes, no multi-plex cinemas, no Disneyworld (we did have Disneyland), no malls (just shopping centers, saw my first enclosed indoor mall in high school, it was so unique, they had the prom there), no seatbelts, no little hand-held hair dryers, no calculators, no video games, no microwaves (my high school home ec teacher saw one at a convention and raved for days, lol).
                              This pretty much says it all for me. And realizing that I am now the person in my dept at work with the most seniority at the company.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X