Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuff that makes me feel old? ... everything ...

When I started driving there were still cars on the road with only one tail-light... and they were very dim.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Remembering the days of Darkwing Duck, Tailspin, Rescue Rangers, and Ducktales. I remember when those were NEW shows. Playing the Magnavox Super Odyssey and remembering when the NES was NEW.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

You and my little sister both....and certainly several thousand other women of the same age.
        I must have been a weird child then . . . I've always seemed to prefer my men a little more mature . . . with a dash of humor and gadgets up their sleeves.

Speaking of feeling old . . . it's scary when you're watching your favorite tv series and realize "it's been how LONG since it went off the air now???"

Even worse is when it went off the air before you were born . . .damn I'm strange.

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
        Thought of a few more:

- Awhile back I was showing a kid my old Nintendo Gameboy. One of the originals, like this:

I still have mine . . . and yes, it still works.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
          Also here's a good one: At the first house I lived in we had a TV in our basement that did NOT have a remote control. Just VHF and UHF dials, baby.
          Quoth Jester View Post
          Amusingly, that entire sentence could have been written by me and been completely accurate.
          I'm not much older than Jester but at least the first two or THREE TVs we had at our house didn't have remotes. I don't think we got a remote until the mid-80s.

Oh, and almost daily we have the age conversation at the call center. So many of my coworkers were born after I graduated high school in 1986, it isn't even funny. My 20 year reunion was in 2006 but I didn't go since I don't live up there anymore...however, now that I've reconnected with a bunch of old friends on FB, I might consider going to a future reunion.
          "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Just thought of another thing that makes me feel old- Sailor Moon celebrated its 20th anniversary this month. XD The original manga was first published on March 7th, 1992. Incidentally, my favorite movie, Newsies, is *also* 20 years old this year. @_@ How time does fly.
            "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

My brother still uses a record player.
              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

They play Nirvana on the classic rock stations here, along with late 80s/early 90s Metallica.

Not only that, but shows I grew up watching are on TV Land now. I mean, sitcoms from the late 80s/early 90s.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                  Not only that, but shows I grew up watching are on TV Land now. I mean, sitcoms from the late 80s/early 90s.
                  They also show programs from the 1960s and 1970's.

Scary thought: my all time favorite show started its run in 1964 . . . 48 YEARS AGO. In 2 more years, it'll be 50??????????????

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH H
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Jester, you graduated high school the year I was born. How does that make you feel?

Anyway, I agree with a lot of these. Also, seeing people I graduated with and people who graduated after me getting married and having kids.

I wanted one of the original Game Boys when I was younger. My cousin had one and I was jealous of him. I got a Game Boy Color when it came out.

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                      ~ Knowing what The 7th Guest and King's Quest are
                      ~ People I knew in middle school having kids in elementary school
                      ~ Seeing Teen Titans on the same channel (Boomerang) as stuff like The Snorks and the Jetsons.
                      ~ Having actually watched The Jetsons and The Flinstones and Yogi Bear as a kid
                      ~ Owning second edition prints of the first two Tamora Pierce series (Song of the Lioness and Immortals)
                      ~ Likewise, remembering when those were the only two series she had out.
                      ~ Remembering when any and all of the following:
                      • MTV played actual music videos
                      • Live action kid shows were about something besides popularity and having boyfriends being the most important thing ever
                      • There was no Food Network
                      • Disney channel showed stuff like Gummi Bears, Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, etc.
                      • Nickelodeon had things like Rugrats, Doug, Are You Afraid of the Dark, and Salute Your Shorts
                      I remember watching Rescue Rangers and wondering when Chip was gonna actually ask Gadget out... Not sure it ever happened, lol.

Loved TaleSpin. Didn't care for Darkwing Duck.

Salute Your Shorts was one of my absolute favorite shows! That and...wait for it... Hey Dude. Yes, I admit I loved that show.

Ren & Stimpy was probably the best. Now it seems all the Nickelodeon animated shows are by the same artists cuz they're in the same style.
                      "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Quoth FuzzyKitten99 View Post
                        That and...wait for it... Hey Dude. Yes, I admit I loved that show.

Now it seems all the Nickelodeon animated shows are by the same artists cuz they're in the same style.
                        Well, Butch Hartman does have at least three different shows running on Nicktoons right now- Fairly Oddparents, Danny Phantom, TUFF Puppy, and who knows if he has any others. And, yeah, they all have a certain style to 'em that you can totally tell they're made by the same guy.

And, hey, I loved Hey Dude too. XD
                        Last edited by firecat88; 03-19-2012, 07:32 PM.
                        "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

- sleeping with the hot bouncer from the club, and realizing that he's the same age as my little brother, at 5 years my jr, (making me the "older woman") .....

- realizing that my little brother's friends are having kids and getting married

- flirting with the guy in his 30's, b/c we have more in common >.<

- seeing young teens out in public, and thinking "her mother let her out of the house like that?....... oh wait... I used to (try to) do the same thing"

- having conversations about dish soap, and what works best..... same for any "household chore" really

- realizing that the TV/Music heart-throb's I had crushes on, are now in their 40's....

- being told that the Underworld movie series started 13 yrs ago, and thinking "that can't be right"

- finding out that some of my new favorite actresses are younger than my little brother....

and of course, as many others have said... threads like this one!
                          I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                            Well, Butch Hartman does have at least three different shows running on Nicktoons right now- Fairly Oddparents, Danny Phantom, TUFF Puppy, and who knows if he has any others. And, yeah, they all have a certain style to 'em that you can totally tell they're made by the same guy.

And, hey, I loved Hey Dude too. XD
                            I remember seeing Christine Taylor in the movie "The Wedding Singer" and thinking "OMG, it's 'Melody' but she's dressed like Madonna! That won't go over well with Mr. Ernst!"
                            "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

My "little" brother is 41 and has two teenage daughters...
                              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
                                My "little" brother is 41 and has two teenage daughters...
                                My daughter will be 40 two weeks from this coming Saturday...
                                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                                X