This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I a bad person for this?

A while ago I took myself to the movies and opted for one of the ground floor seats (stadium seating then another another set recessed into the floor), since i like to stretch out my legs without kicking anyone.

while I'm sitting there waiting for the movie to start a guy in a wheel chair comes up to me and says in the snottiest tone ever "you DO know these seats are reserved for people with handicaps right?"

my first thought was yeah...you have a seat, do you mean you need one for a caretaker or something?

instead I politely said "sorry I just enjoy this spot, but i will move."

the seats in question were 2 chairs with lots of space with no seats on either side (for wheelchairs and the such), and also directly in the middle of the screen, hence why I enjoy sitting there.

so I do move and he gets into the seat i just vacated.....then turns to me and says "I'm sorry....you can sit here if you want."

guess he was expectinga fight or something.....still irked me though...
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

I don't think you were a bad person. You moved when asked to, even if the asker was rude.

If there are no signs explicitly reserving those seats only for wheelchairs, I don't see how it's wrong to sit there. It's like sitting in the front of the bus; anyone can sit there, though etiquette dictates that you should move for the disabled and elderly who need it most. Since you moved, you're fine. The guy was sucky for being rude about it (though it seems he was expecting resistance...seems perhaps others weren't so polite in the past).
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Why would you be a bad person?

Because you sat in an unoccupied seat that is reserved for handicapped people when they are there?

Because you moved when a handicapped person VERY RUDELY pointed out that you were in a seat reserved for handicapped people when they are there?

Did I miss something?

Look, the guy was a FUCKING DICKHEAD. I don't care if he's in a wheelchair or licking patio doors for a high. He was a douche. He acted as if you had already told him to go take a flying leap in front of a short bus, and you were nothing but polite.

You were fine. He was a dick. End of story.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

I agree with Jester. Except delete the naughty words.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I agree with Jester, no need to delete the naughty words .

I do suspect the other person had expected to encounter an EW, and might have had a rough day..at least they did make an apology.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Well, I really can't comment on the guy's attitude about the situation, but I imagine he's run into a lot of EWs who took those seats and wouldn't move.

On the flip side, if there were empty handicapped parking spaces, you wouldn't park there just because they weren't being used, would you? Why sit in the handicapped seating? For all you know, the person needing that seat may be uncomfortable confronting a stranger. While I don't think you're a bad person, you should have never sat there.

Comment

Quoth ReadyToRetire View Post
              Well, I really can't comment on the guy's attitude about the situation, but I imagine he's run into a lot of EWs who took those seats and wouldn't move.

On the flip side, if there were empty handicapped parking spaces, you wouldn't park there just because they weren't being used, would you? Why sit in the handicapped seating? For all you know, the person needing that seat may be uncomfortable confronting a stranger. While I don't think you're a bad person, you should have never sat there.
              I disagree. Handicapped parking is reserved exclusively for people with the appropriate parking permits, and if you park there without one, you risk a hefty fine.

If I get on the bus, and no one else is on there, and I want to sit up front to chat with the driver or b/c I'm too lazy to walk back, there's nothing wrong with that. If someone with a wheelchair gets on, yeah, I'll have to move so they can do the little seat-flippy thing so there's room, but otherwise, those seats are free for anyone. They are preferred seating for the handicapped and elderly, and you should certainly move if someone comes up needing that space, but not exclusive seating.

As long as you recognize when someone needing that seat more than you comes along, and you move accordingly, then I don't think it's wrong at all. I mean, if no one comes along needing that seat, do you think the theatre is really going to not sell that seat? They're going to sell as many tickets as they can! (Though I will add that if it's a set-up where you are choosing assigned seats, it would be sucky to pick a wheelchair spot if you didn't need one and a regular spot was available. I think at our theatre, though, you have to call the box office directly in order to get those spots anyways and have the request approved.)
              Last edited by bhskittykatt; 03-25-2012, 12:31 PM.
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

OP, I don't think you're a bad person. It sounds like the guy who wanted the spot had trouble getting non-handicapped people to move out of the spot previously, hence the apprehensive attitude. You moved and were polite about it, so no problem.

Quoth ReadyToRetire View Post

I think the difference is that if you park in a handicapped spot and go inside to shop, you aren't there to move away if someone who is handicapped needs the spot. When there is no one around to use them, I do use handicap bus seats, etc., but if I see someone approaching who needs one, I move regardless of them confronting me or not.

Plus, as another poster has already said, it's illegal to use handicapped parking spots without a permit in most areas.

"When your deepest thoughts are broken, keep on dreaming, boy; when you stop dreaming it's time to die" -- Blind Melon

Comment

Better than me (I was a 11 year old girl riding the bus alone) where I was pushed off the seat by an elderly lady. I sat on the front cause my mom told me to. But I was in New York, so I was expected to have some rude nasty people come in and ruin my night. Ask nicely and I will move for you.

Comment

Frankly, I don't see why the guy had to use a snarky tone. Yes, he may have run into jerks before, but why assume that you were one, too? Why not start out polite and see what happens?
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

in my defense too, I may of zoned out and not seen him come in...

happens when I'm alone in the theater with noone to talk to.
                      It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Sarlon, you don't need a defense. You did nothing wrong. The guy in the wheelchair was a raging prick. Had you zoned out after he politely asked, "Pardon me, but these seats are for handicapped...would you mind moving over slightly?" that would have been different. But he came in with guns blazing, so fuck him. As I said, raging prick. A penis on wheels, if you will.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                        X