This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk adventure games

Ok this is still for my school assignment but it may just be a fun discussion.

Just for a little inspiration what are your favourite, most memorable, most hated, etc. adventure gaming puzzles and for love of god don't bring up the gabriel knight 3 mustache thing.

Basically what puzzles do you remember?

also what game are they from

I'll start with having to with no hint what so ever having to use the cheese on the magical machine to transfer the power between the wands in king's quest 5.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

... um .. that gabriel knight 3 mustache.... JUST KIDDING!

My fav is AD&D for sit-down games.
    For computer-based it's my MUD (multi-user dungeon). my fav one just hit 20 years online too. (ancient anguish)

i also have a strong love of those "escape the room" games for quick play style. and the original myst too

Comment

Does the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time count for most hated?

There were some block puzzles in Lufia 2 (the SNES version, not the PSP remake) that were pretty challenging/fun. I would have to look for specific dungeon names if you need them, since I don't remember...

Comment

Hated: Air Rock from Golden Sun 2. In fact...all four of the rocks, but Air was the worst.

Liked: Tarm Ruins from Oracle of Seasons. Innovative use of the main mechanic, and aesthetically pleasing.
        "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Yeah, what the hell..cheese powers the machine?

Anyway, I will submit Myst and Riven. Pretty much all of the pizzles are memorable.

And once you completed one, you actually felt like you accomplished something.

ETA: Dang it! I can't believe I missed that Myst (heh) was already mentioned.
          Last edited by Lachrymose; 03-30-2012, 06:51 PM.

Comment

How could I forget 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors? It's one of my favorite games and made up entirely of puzzles. It's sort of a point and click style game, sorta like Myst.

Comment

And with that, I want to add Ghost Trick to the mix!

Comment

Definitely Discworld. Great game, good voice acting and some pretty impenetrable puzzles. The gate pass was one of the best though, involving back and forth travel through time and dressing up as a ghost.

Comment

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
                  Yeah, what the hell..cheese powers the machine?
                  either you're agreeing or asking for an explanation. Option b gives me an excuse to talk and others may be curious.

In King's quest 5 at the beginning of the game you are given a depleted wand that does nothing until the end. Part way through the game you are locked up in a prison that has a piece of cheese in a mousehole that you have to get with a fishing hook. if you missed either the cheese or the hook you can't go back.

at the end of the game you steal the evil wizard's fully charged wand and go to his lab where there is a strange machine with two platforms. you put a wand on each platform but you need to do something to activate the machine. you have to click the cheese on the machine.

all of this happens without any direction whatsoever.
                  Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                  Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I recently played through a slightly prettified Myst recently for the nostalgia. I will always love that game. Riven was still good, but a bit too big for my easily-distracted brain.

Also, another puzzle game that I love is Full Throttle. Even if it is on rails and plays more like an interactive animated feature than an actual game.

Otherwise, I know there are a couple of platformers with stupidly precise jumps that have ended up with me giving up in disgust. Although in the case of American McGee's Alice, I just gave up in frustration and disinterest.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I don't know if I love or hate the first one that comes to mind.

Lolo's Tower. All of them. Since the whole game was just level after level of puzzle tower floors. I was young, I was easily frustrated, and I beat these games after making my neighbors think I was either being murdered or doing some murdering myself... and I live a block away from anyone else...

I also remember puzzles from Beyond the Beyond, that makes me want to hurts things too. The one that was the tile face unscramble. Since I didn't hate those enough in their cheap little physical forms I could almost scream having to do it in a game.

Comment

Working...
                      X