This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAR! Attack of the doggy!

I couldn't find the photo album so I decided to post these here. No shots of me or my BF just the new addition to our household, Dublin the doggy!

I have to confess, I'm not really a dog person. I've had cats most of my life. I think I wanted a dog back when I was 5. Or rather I wanted to be a doggy. Kids are weird what can I say?

But this little thing took to both of us right away. We... actually we were turned down for another dog and my BF was pretty mad about it cos it was a weird reason... he wanted a low-shedding dog and the adoption agency said it wasn't. Um it's an Italian Greyhound / Chihuahua, how is that not a low-shedding dog? But fine, we prepped all weekend getting the main room doggy proofed, hell if we're not going to get a doggy now!

So I went back online and looked and found another "iggy" (nickname for Italian Greyhound) and this one was insanely close, just across the state border in a city we often go to. I called up the numbers posted and when I came back from the laundry I found they'd called me back already - within like 30 minutes.

Turns out they'd JUST posted her online at that site. They'd been having trouble finding her a home and were willing to go out to the shelter to show her off to us.

We got there and me... sure I'm more familiar with cats but I'm not entirely dumb around dogs. When we got outside, my BF talked to the woman while I got on the ground to greet the dog.

She just about knocked me over, licking my face off. At first she was damn near jumping all over the place too but that was also because she'd been in a kennel full of barking dogs.

I was hoping we could take her home right away but they had to approve our application first. So we went home... kinda. We stopped off at a pet store to wander around and then got back on the road. We were just coming up to the border when they called and said we were approved! Less than an hour and they loved us for her. !

We stopped off at walmart for some emergency supplies - crate, leash, dentastix, childproof locks for the cupboards.

aw... just got back from our third walk today. but now my bf is gone to work so she's whining... either for her previous human or because he's gone.

but anyway here's the doggy pix

Last edited by PepperElf; 01-04-2012, 10:32 AM.

she's beautiful!! Congrats :-)

Comment

She's adorable! Congrats!
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Cute pup.

Just a warning- IGs can have an attitude - like "look at me I am so precious".

(Not a bad thing).
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Awww! I love that first pic ...she looks very interested in something..

I don't know about IGs but my Chihuahua (short-haired) shed like crazy. His fur was everywhere; I never understood it cuz he hardly had any
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

lol - yeah she was looking at my boyfriend in the kitchen.

Our first night with her we slept on the couch with her to give her some security. We had her very active yesterday - several walks, crate training, a trip to the pet store for treats and toys. And we found out she's *quite* a chewer. We had one of those no-stuffing squeak toys for her. Within 10 minutes she'd ripped it open and was trying to chew the squeaker. Thankfully though, she doesn't seem to chew on other things... well except our worst pairs of shoes, which are now in the closet where she can't get to them. (she especially likes my crocs... oy!)

Good thing my bf had a kong for her. she tore into that thing pretty fiercely. We might get her a smaller one today and maybe some more sticks to go inside.

And she's already latching on to both of us. When he came home yesterday she was full of doggy joy, jumping and licking. ... and when i went out to the store myself (to get a rope toy), you'd have thought I was gone for days instead of 30 minutes.... she was so affectionate I couldn't even take a shower without her pushing her way into the bathroom to sit outside the shower curtain waiting for me.

And this is her, all tired out. she's on a bean-bag sofa / bed that she's adopted as her own. Yeah the doggy has a bigger bed than ours!

Last edited by PepperElf; 01-04-2012, 10:32 AM.

Comment

She is just adorable. And she's taken to her new pack (you) quite happily. May you have many happy years together.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

It's amazing at what a new animal, especially one you adopt/rescue, can add to your home. We've had all mixed breeds that were either rescued from a shelter or adopted when they were abandoned on our property except for the one time I tried to have a pure golden retriever. My mixed that came from shelters or were abandoned were always the best. I don't neccessarily think that it's the breeding as much as it is that they just know they've been chosen and feel super uber special. Our newest addition, Scooter, just feels me with so much love each and every day and I can't imagine our home without him now.

Congratulations on providing a home to a furkid that needed one. It's definitely one of the best things you can do. Keep posting pics. She's absolutely adorable.

Comment

Working...
                X