This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth greensinestro View Post
    I've always wondered about the galleys on airplanes. I have only flown a handful of times in my life and therefore don't have a full understanding of how things work. Does that galley actually have people who work in there, whipping up food and actually cooking it for the guests? My feeling of it was it's pre-packaged food, like sandwiches. I've had hot meals, but I figured it was also pre-packaged, just heated up afterwards. I was happy as long as I had something to eat. And, I was happy if I at least had a bag of peanuts, or crackers.

Seems like those who fly frequently are the ones who expect the plane to have a Steak And Ale on board, complete with kitchen and bar. Shouldn't people like this be traveling on a cruise boat instead where all of this is available?
    I fly frequently, but I'm grateful for any sustenance they may provide me with. I've been on low-cost flights that didn't even offer water (1 hour flight). I always bring snacks with me and I always buy a bottle of water at the airport because I'd never expect more than a working toilet and a place to sit.

Then again...I've taken space available flights on C-30's (military cargo plane) on which I spent 8 hours with earplugs in (no soundproofing on those), sitting all by myself (only passenger and crew was elsewhere doing their jobs), with a sandwich I'd brought for myself and a bottle of water. Once you've done that a few times, you don't whine about coffee.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
      Does that galley actually have people who work in there, whipping up food and actually cooking it for the guests?
      No. It is, as you suspected, all pre-packaged. If it is hot, it is heated up during the flight. I have never worked for an airline, mind you, but the inner workings of their food service was shown on an episode in the third season of Top Chef.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        Not all coffee that is served in restaurants or on airlines is available for retail purchase by the average customer. Also, the coffee in question may not have been available in the woman's area. And hey, nothing wrong with asking.
        True. I didn't think it was sucky per se, just a tad unusual...come to think of it, the airline beans are probably vacuum-packed to stay fresher longer than your average bag (and/or freeze-dried/sturdier packaging).

greensinestro, the Canadian show "How It's Made" has a segment on airline meals. It's actually more complex than I'd thought.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I never realised that domestic flights were so stingy, almost all of my flights have been international, so free food, free booze and fun hosts and hostesses to flirt with.

Either that or I've just been lucky with my flying experiences.
          If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Working...
          X