This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deposit is mandatory

Last night on my midnight audit shift a man came to the desk looking for a room. I asked for ID and method of payment. He said he was paying cash so I let him know there would be a cash deposit we hold of $100. He took exception to this and said he only had 110 dollars on him for the room and tax. I let him know that I would be unable to check him in without a deposit. He swore and left.

He comes back in a few minutes later with a woman who gives me her credit card. She huffs audibly when I ask for ID. I start inputting her info and go to authorize the card and it comes back declined. When she is made aware of this she lets me know that there is only $80 on the card.

In any case they still want to pay cash but use the card for the deposit. They are under the mistaken impression we will only hold the card number but would not authorize it. (what is the point of giving us a card if we don't ensure we can charge it?) So, rather than try and authorize it for 100 I tell her I will only do 50 - but it would put a hold of that amount for at least two business days.

She gets mad. He gets mad. They state that no other hotel does that. (Really, every hotel I have worked at does that.) At this point since she is a local and is giving me a hassle over a deposit I let them know I am declining to check them in.

They both go off on me stating I had to. (not really, we can decline you for any reason) They want me to call a manager. They take the owner's card. They demand my name. They state they are giving us a bad review. (so? you are not technically a guest) They finally leave and she asks me how I could sleep at night? (I am thinking just fine really - just fine.)

Quoth figgyx View Post
    They finally leave and she asks me how I could sleep at night?
    On top of a pile of money with many beautiful ladies
    or:
    Unlike you, I'm sleeping in a bed.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth figgyx View Post
      At this point since she is a local and is giving me a hassle over a deposit I let them know I am declining to check them in.
      If she's a local, why are they even-- oooooooooooohhhhh.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
        Unlike you, I'm sleeping in a bed.
        and indoors in my own place.
        A deposit for locals only is nothing I haven't seen--to discourage parties, so the manager told me.
        Last edited by taxguykarl; 11-01-2017, 07:55 PM.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth "figgyx;135634.

She gets mad. He gets mad. They state They finally leave and she asks me how I could sleep at night?
          ...I don't. If I did, I wouldn't have to be here dealing with you.

Comment

How do I sleep at night asking for payment for services rendered? Quite well thank you.
            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Some days I miss working in a Hotel and then there are reminders like this. We had the same system for cash paying customers and they tried all sorts of things to go around it. Luckily for them there was a local down and out hotel nearby that either had full night rooms or charged by the hour and didn't take deposits (no clue why) that I directed them to.

Comment

Working...
              X