This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freaky dude,
    I've had people trying to convert me over the till point but never ask me out to church and dinner Your a braver person than me nomorecarts , I think I would have tried to make a run for the back room at that line.
    Please excuse me , I need to wander round the corner to scream now, before my head explodes.

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
      I had a woman recently tell me that God loves me.
      I've heard a lot of "God Bless You" comments; only after I get a sizable chunk of change from Caesar, mind you [lame Biblical joke...I admit].
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I fully admit my life is not in the best of places right now . . .unemployent stinks.
        I have had several people saying they will ______ for me. (____ = following their specific belief)
        I chose to take it in the spirit given. The person is wanting something good for me and they are willing to help in their own way.
        As for asking me to church with them while at work. . .. that is a bit creepy if they don't know you.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
          I've heard a lot of "God Bless You" comments; only after I get a sizable chunk of change from Caesar, mind you [lame Biblical joke...I admit].
          Hey, if they're parting with the Caesar stuff first, it's not bad, usually. If you aren't intersted or don't agree, it's not too much extra work to pitch it. It's the idiots who think that a tract is more valuable than filthy lucre to someone who has to feed, clothe, and shelter a family that give the rest of us a bad name.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
            back on topic... I've had all types of religious pamphlets given to me at the desk... all of them explaining why I'm going to hell... yeah... I knew that already...
            When ever I get them I tell them that those aren't the reasons I'm going to hell, would they like to hear why I am?
            If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

There used to be a fellow who would frequently stop by the custard stand and stealthily leave tracts under the napkin holders. Well, he thought he was being stealthy anyway; I always tossed them as soon as he walked away.

Then one day he walked up to the window looking rather angry. I figured he had finally noticed my actions and it looked like he was about to launch into a speech, holding yet another tract in his hand. I cut him off and asked, "Tell me, would you change your religion just because someone gave you a sheet of paper?"

He got this horrified look that made me suspect such a thought had never crossed his mind. Then he quickly stammered "Yes, yes I would!" before beating a hasty retreat.

I never saw the guy again. A pity; I probably could have had some fun giving him a Cthulhu pamplet.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
                I grew up in a pray to yourself kind of cuture, then I started coming across people who feel the need to lay hands on me and pray aloud. They mean well, but I have to make sure I don't have anythng going on before I ever answer yes to someone praying for me.
                That kind of thing really bugs me, because anytime it's happened to me, it felt like I was being judged - I wanted to ask those people what in the world made them think I wasn't a Christian (always have been, btw - I just don't evangelize). If we're not supposed to judge each other, what gives them the right?!?

Also, what if I were of a different religion or no religion at all and had no desire to be converted to theirs?
                Last edited by Fandangoose; 11-04-2008, 01:03 PM. Reason: afterthought
                "Sir, if you don't shut up, I'm going to kick one hundred percent of your ass!" - "Brad Hamilton", Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Comment

I've had regular offers to perform X Ritual in my behalf, which, frankly, doesn't always bother me.

What DOES bother me is when someone wishes me a Merry Christmas in a not-so Seasonal Merriment kind of way. It was said more as a defensive weapon against the perceived War on Christmas. You know--if your store tells you to say "Happy Holidays." So it's not like "hey! Merry Christmas!" It's more like "MERRY CHRISTMAS! IN YR FACE!"

But you can't assault me with Christmas! I like it too much. So in yr face back. I guess. But Happy Solstice to you, anyway.

Comment

Quoth Emrld View Post
                    ...I have had several people saying they will ______ for me. (____ = following their specific belief)
                    I chose to take it in the spirit given. The person is wanting something good for me and they are willing to help in their own way...
                    I agree with you 100%, with conditions. If i don't know the person well (or at all for that matter) then my answer will usually be no. I don't know them, they don't know me, so i would feel kind of strange accepting such a personal offer. I had many many people (who i know from work mostly) ask me if they could pray for my son (he had a pretty tough start) and just the knowledge that they wanted to help in their own way brought me some comfort.

As for the tract people, don't get me started ..lol. They tend to gravitate to me, and WILL NOT leave me alone, even when I make it clear that I don't want to hear it. I get these a lot when i am out pier fishing.

As for being asked to someone's church, I would (and have) said yes, on the condition that they attend my church (which I will usually have made up on the spot). The look on their faces is usually worth the effort of coming up with something on the spot.

Comment

I should have said "only if there are free hookers"

Comment

Meh, if someone tells me "Why do you not believe in Jesus?" I usually tell them one of two things:
                        1) "Because I don't feel comfortable talking about religion at work" (not allowed to do so anyways)
                        2) "Because I believe that God is too big to fit into one religion."
                        The second one usually shuts up people real quick. Not to turn this into a fratching issue, but that's what I honestly believe. Thank goodness for good bumper stickers.
                        "Otherwise you are free to keep putting your hope in leprechauns, horseshoes and unicorn farts."-Gravekeeper

Comment

I occasionally get people trying to convert me to romantic ideals. However, they never offer themselves in the rituals involved.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Danno View Post
                            I never saw the guy again. A pity; I probably could have had some fun giving him a Cthulhu pamplet.
                            I am so passing these out at the new year party.
                            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I don't usually mind hearing "I'll _________ for you," but I notice that some people say that with an unspoken, "....and that's IT," at the end. For example, a friend of mine is terminally ill and can't go out much. When she asks her own family to visit her, they respond, "We'll pray for you," and don't visit.

In other words, I think the sentiment SHOULD be taken in the spirit that it's meant: If it's a stranger wishing something nice on you, great. If it's a polite brushoff when someone is really in need of help, it grinds my gears.

And I need one of those Cthulhu tracts now....
                              My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

Quoth Lusorius View Post
                                Want to run away with me to Mrytle Beach? Bring some games!
                                Myrtle Beach?

That's about 6 hours from me . . . swing by Greensboro on the way. I'll be the one in the baggy jeans and sweater carrying a big box of white wine.
                                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                                X