This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Hobbs View Post
    Naw, here we lock you up (if you're driving, that is).

Plus, it's always helpful to have ID, it just is, ya know...?

Oh, and now we can't accept the flat-faced foreign credit cards; really pisses off the Mexicans, but I don't like 'em (some are ok, most are SCs) anyway, so I don't care.
    pssst pssst hey hobbs, lets keep comments about race to a minimum... dont want you to get into trouble...

Comment

As mentioned before, the merchant agreements for Visa and Mastercard forbid stores from refusing a transaction based on the cardholder refusing to show photo ID.

While AMEX doesn't have any stated rules about the subject, I do believe I have read here that they forbid merchants from "discriminating" against AMEX users. Meaning if you're not requiring photo ID for credit card transactions with Visa and Mastercard (and per the agreements, you're not supposed to anyway), you can't require photo ID for AMEX either.

I understand your hands are tied by corporate or store policy, and I don't blame you, but your store or company could end up in deep horse apples down the road if they try this with somebody who knows what the merchant agreements say, can back it up, and is prepared to make a fuss over it.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
        pssst pssst hey hobbs, lets keep comments about race to a minimum... dont want you to get into trouble...
        Use the report button, don't take it upon yourself to comment.

Either way, I don't want to see any more generalizing comments along those lines.

And drop the merchant agreement argument. It's been done to death on here, and no one needs to be preached at that doing their job is against the rules. They're still just doing their job. Everyone on here knows about the merchant agreements by now, but almost no one on here has the ability to change a store's/corporate's policy on it.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

To avoid Fratching, I'll just add this. I've asked for ID a few times...usually when the signature is faded. My rule (and the stores) is this:

-Faded signature: official ID with a signature. (i.e. drivers licence or proof of age card)
          -No signature and it doesn't appear to have been signed: don't accept the card, even if they show ID.
          -If it says "see ID, photo ID etc." on it: official ID.

Doesn't matter what type of card it is either-Visa, Mastercard, AmEx, Diners etc.
          There's no ruling in Australia-that I know of-against checking ID.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I wish more people would ask for ID. It boggles the mind how often I see stories of people not having ID on here. But then, I'm in Texas. We drive everywhere. Thus, I leave the house, I have my license, which is ID. I guess I can understand people wandering around with no ID elsewhere, where driving isn't as much of a necessity, but still, I boggle. I keep mine in my wallet, where do these people keep theirs? Do they never go to bars? Have they never before been asked for ID, ever? I boggle!

Then again, it's SC logic I guess. Impossible to follow.
            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
              Plus, federal and state laws require you to carry a form of identification at all time.
              huh? Since when?

Comment

My bad. I didn't mention dropping law talk as well. SCs only please, pretend everything else in this thread didn't happen.
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

, and now we can't accept the flat-faced foreign credit cards.
                  Forgive the uninformed, but what's a flat faced credit card, and why can't it be accepted?
                  If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Quoth Nyoibo View Post
                    Forgive the uninformed, but what's a flat faced credit card, and why can't it be accepted?
                    Information is printed on it instead of it being embossed. Probably not accepted as a fraud precaution, because a flat card is easier to forge than an embossed card
                    Otaku

Comment

Ah, gotcha, never seen one of them so I was curious.
                      If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Members were told to drop the issue, but we've had to remove another post containing a lengthy essay on the law as well as a continued debate of the credit card issue.

Obviously this is an issue that is going to continue to be problematic and head to fratching territory instead of discussing suckiness of customers, so I'm closing this one.

I will say this, though.

This was a post by a new member, and was one of Hobbs' first shared stories of suckines. Rather than giving support by commiserating and understanding, members chose to jump immediately on the "Credit Card" laws and standards and totally derailed it.
                        In my opinion, that was a complete violation of the "that wasn't sucky" area that Raps asked us to avoid.
                        Last edited by Ree; 11-08-2008, 11:53 AM.
                        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
                        X