This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I haven't missed Saturday nights

Last night was the first time in a long time that I've worked the saturday evening shift. I did not miss working that shift, and here's why:

-It's really really slow. How slow? My first safe drop was 2 hours into the shift, and I dropped the minimum amount allowed.
    -Only insane people shop at that time of night. Around 9:30 the people doing night shift at the hospital come in but besides them it's nutjobs all the way!

Not my problem

SC: "Can you fill a gas bottle?"
    Me: "No, I'm the only worker here and I have to stay behind the counter."
    SC: "but I've got hungry kids waiting for their dinner..."
    Me: "We can do a swap, but that's about it."
    SC: "No it's my gas bottle that I've had for 8 years, I want to keep it. Are you sure you're the only one here?"

I'm sorry, I forgot about Imaginaryman whose job is dealing with people who start cooking dinner at 8pm, don't check their gas bottles first, and don't like the idea of swapping their scungy 8-year-old gas bottle for a shiny new one.

obviously buying millinery supplies

SC: "No! Don't scan that roll of foil! They'll know what I'm buying!"

Eventually I convinced him to let me pretend I was buying it so I could scan the barcode. He paid in cash because "they" know when you use your credit card. Of course we all know there are tracking devices in Australian 50 cent coins anyway... why else would they be so big?

It's a convenience store, not a pick-up joint

Not really sucky but somewhat amusing: A Deaf customer tried to hit on me. She backed off when I said that I learned Auslan because my wife is Deaf. (it's only a little exaggeration, and in just over 4 months it will be true)

Not my problem part 2

SC (same one from before): "That guy who was here an hour ago refused to fill our gas bottle, can we do it ourselves?"

You lose three points. One for not recognising somebody you talked to an hour ago, one for spending an hour touring the other servos in the area and then thinking up a way to attempt to trick me into breaking the law, and one for letting your kids go hungry for another hour instead of finding a different way to cook meat.

Quite well actually

SC: "What's Davidoff taste like? How smooth are they?"
    Me: "I don't know, I don't smoke."
    SC: (shocked voice as if I'd just admitted to being a necrophiliac or somehting) "How can you not smoke? How do you survive?"

Occam's Razor cut up your bank statement

SC: "The ATM wouldn't give me money! It's says insufficient funds, it must mean that the ATM's broken."

Actually it probably means that you have no money.

My store is unique!

SC: "What do you mean you don't do cash out? You're the only place that doesn't!"

First-degree self pwnage.

Some idiots were seen driving around with a fake police siren. They came past my work with the siren going.

I later heard from a detective on a coffee run that they tried to pull over an undercover police car. Got done for noise pollution and impersonating police, and the car got towed away as defective.

Quoth edible_hat View Post

Not my problem

SC: "Can you fill a gas bottle?"
    Me: "No, I'm the only worker here and I have to stay behind the counter."
    SC: "but I've got hungry kids waiting for their dinner..."
    Me: "We can do a swap, but that's about it."
    SC: "No it's my gas bottle that I've had for 8 years, I want to keep it. Are you sure you're the only one here?"

I'm sorry, I forgot about Imaginaryman whose job is dealing with people who start cooking dinner at 8pm, don't check their gas bottles first, and don't like the idea of swapping their scungy 8-year-old gas bottle for a shiny new one.
    That guy is a douchewafle for that.

Eventually I convinced him to let me pretend I was buying it so I could scan the barcode. He paid in cash because "they" know when you use your credit card. Of course we all know there are tracking devices in Australian 50 cent coins anyway... why else would they be so big?
    I remember having someone similar to that, who was convinced that aliens and the government were tracking his money down so he hid it in a metal suitcase...

It's a convenience store, not a pick-up joint

Not really sucky but somewhat amusing: A Deaf customer tried to hit on me. She backed off when I said that I learned Auslan because my wife is Deaf. (it's only a little exaggeration, and in just over 4 months it will be true)
    For the non-Australians, Auslan is Australian Sign Language. That is hilarious

Not my problem part 2

SC (same one from before): "That guy who was here an hour ago refused to fill our gas bottle, can we do it ourselves?"

You lose three points. One for not recognising somebody you talked to an hour ago, one for spending an hour touring the other servos in the area and then thinking up a way to attempt to trick me into breaking the law, and one for letting your kids go hungry for another hour instead of finding a different way to cook meat.
    Douchewaffle part two!

Occam's Razor cut up your bank statement

SC: "The ATM wouldn't give me money! It's says insufficient funds, it must mean that the ATM's broken."

Actually it probably means that you have no money.
    I remember a similar incident. Someone goes to take money out of an ATM, it's out of $20's, only gives $50's. Someone wants $20, so the card spits it out back at them...what happens...they try it again!

My store is unique!

SC: "What do you mean you don't do cash out? You're the only place that doesn't!"
    Wonder what happens when they try and do cash out and the checkout person doesn't have enough money in their drawer?!

First-degree self pwnage.

Some idiots were seen driving around with a fake police siren. They came past my work with the siren going.

I later heard from a detective on a coffee run that they tried to pull over an undercover police car. Got done for noise pollution and impersonating police, and the car got towed away as defective.
    Wooot.....PWNAGE!!!!!!!
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Don't you know if you scan the tin foil, that will make it vulnerable to the alien mind probes??

That last part with the coin just made me too
      "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

Just wondering but how can you exchange it if you can't leave the counter?

And why you would want and 8 year old tank vs. a new one is beyond me. Mine gets dingy by the time I go through all the gas and I'm plenty happy to just hand it over for a shiny new one.

Comment

Quoth PhotoChick View Post
          Just wondering but how can you exchange it if you can't leave the counter?
          I give the customer the key, they swap it over themselves. Sure there's a risk of theft but so far it's never happened.

Comment

Probably because it's hard to carry more than one gas bottle at a time. Those suckers are heavy, especially when full.

Comment

Quoth KaySquirrel View Post
              To make baked potatoes, do you put the tin foil shiny side in or out?
              You put foil on your baked potatos? THAT'S what I've been doing wrong... I usually slice the ends off, and set the potatos on a baking tray and put them in the oven...
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I can understand the not cooking until 8pm, hell it's still light out then, but if you're going to bbq, you start earlier.
                If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

As against... Are you sure you're the only one here? Ummm - no, you're right, they just teleported in at 9pm... sorry I lied to you.... sheesh!

Now, while it's been a few years since I had to use gas, I'm pretty sure that you'll know fairly in advance when the tank is running low from the way the flame wobbles - yes?? Or is it the hiss??

Hey - are you 2 going to have a get together?? would that make it the first one in Oz??

And to be honest, Hat, when I read the topic title, I thought to myself "What on earth??? Saturday night? That was my busiest!"... but then, I was on the M1 (love the drunks.....)
                  When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Quoth KaySquirrel View Post
                    Should I make my tinfoil hat with the shiny side in or out? Is it the same as for baked potatoes?

To make baked potatoes, do you put the tin foil shiny side in or out?
                    I wrap mine shiny side out and baked @400 degrees for 1 to 1-1/2 hours depending on the size of the potatoes.

As far as your hat goes, I'm not sure. But I wouldn't recommend wearing it outside during a thunderstorm.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Out of curiousity, is there any difference between Auslan and Amslan, other than the name? (Or the fact that all your gestures are counter-clockwise down under?)

SC: (shocked voice as if I'd just admitted to being a necrophiliac or somehting) "How can you not smoke? How do you survive?"
                      Dude. Just... duuuuuuuude...

Comment

Gas bottles contain various kinds of LPG, which you can swirl around to judge how much is left. At least, that's how my dad does it. The inertia of the swirling liquid is easier to judge than the weight of the bottle+liquid.

I would imagine that any differences in the flame would only occur when it was running very low.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                          Out of curiousity, is there any difference between Auslan and Amslan, other than the name? (Or the fact that all your gestures are counter-clockwise down under?)
                          It's so different that "The Book of Signing" that I got for Christmas a couple of years ago is completely useless outside the US.

Comment

And the alphabet gestures are also different for Ameslan. Some books in kids libraries that teach you how to be a spy etc. have sign language in the back and are completely useless.
                            British Sign Language is the same, they have a different alphabet.
                            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                            X