This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had an interview for a manager job

It was the shortest interview I have ever been on in my life. It lasted ten minutes.

He asked me where I was from, and we talked a bit about the city I grew up in and my experience there. He asked why I came to the US and I told him about my husband and how he's the revenue manager at a hotel out in the Marigny. I explained that I have worked the front desk, housekeeping, reservations, sales, and even night audit.

He says they're going to hire two people, and asked what wage I want, so I told him between 28 and 30 k a year. He said its not quite in their budget but he assumes I'm willing to be a bit flexible so I'm betting it will be around 25, which I think is too low.

He then told me that I seem energetic and that I'd be a good fit, then told me he wants me to meet some other managers and will give me a call to arrange a date and time. Apparently he wants whoever these people are to start before the new year.

The hotel itself is absolutely gorgeous, and I think it was once an old mansion, probably built in the 1920's considering all the art deco. It's HUGE, has a restaurant, bar, and even a ball room. There are only 19 rooms, and I'd be dealing with front desk and housekeeping.

Judging from what I saw, its going to be VERY busy for 19 rooms.

Just a few things that I don't like. The fact that its busy could be a real problem for me since it means I have to be on my feet all the time and I'd have to carry things. Due to my car accident in 2004, I have doctors instructions not to be on my feet all the time, and not to lift more than 10 lbs. Plus getting up and down from the floor is a problem for me due to my leg so housekeeping may be difficult. This is also a 24 hour desk which means I may end up being the overnight. If it's strictly overnight, I will refuse the job. I have worked far too many years to be subject to constant overnight.

BUT, it's a manager job and would look really awesome on my resume. It's also a pretty good raise from the impression I got since my last job was $11 an hour even though he didn't give me an exact number.

I am exactly what he needs and I'd do very well at this job. My problem is my physical limitations due to my leg so that makes me worried.

But the job hasn't officially been offered to me yet, even though he seemed interested. And ten minutes isn't enough to make a real informed decision. Here's the thing though... if it's offered, I pretty much have to take it (though I won't if I have to work nothing but nights) because we need the money and our business isn't picking up like we thought it would.

We will see.

If it's $25000 a year, then it works out to being about $40 a week more than your prev $11.00 an hour job. And remember if it is salaried, you are expected to work whenever needed even if over 40 hrs a week and a lot of places don't give you the expected alternate hours off like they claim you will get.
    Before taxes $11 and hour for a 40 hr week is $22880

Comment

Yeah. Its a good job, and a better position than I thought would ever come my way. The thing is, I don't want it. I know that's completely insane, and I should. I've fought for this for ten years.

I'll take it because we need the money, but I don't want it. I want to work on MY business.

Comment

I completely understand how you feel; I've taken several jobs that I REALLY didn't want...but, they gave me valuable experience in a position that led to a better, higher paying position later.

If you currently have no management experience to put on your resume, this will be valuable FAR beyond the pay, in the long run.
        "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
        -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

It was the shortest interview I have ever been on in my life. It lasted ten minutes.
          i've had those.

I drove over 76 miles one day for an "open house" thinking it would be more like a job faire. Turned out it wasn't what I expected and the interview lasted 5 minutes.

Yeah over an hour on the road, not counting getting lost, for a 5 minute worthless interview.

Comment

Yeah, no offer yet, and no set up for the next interview.

However, we are going to a Chamber of Commerce meeting today, and I have a meeting with a potential client tomorrow morning. Like I said, I'd rather be working on MY business.

Comment

Working...
            X