This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever had those moments when...

...you lose something, go and replace it, then find the original item you lost?!

That happened to me today.

A while ago I'd bought this pack of miniature trial pads, so I could get a feel for different weights, different brands and how different media worked on them (ie crayon, paint, pastel etc.). They're A7 size but also allows me to determine what my needs are so I don't go forking out $10 for a paper pad that I'm never going to use.

The pack itself consisted of 3 different visual diaries (in terms of brands and weight), 1 black-page visual diary (the pages are black instead of white ), 2 cartridge paper pads, 1 oil pad, 1 watercolour pad, 1 acrylic pad, 1 tracing pad, 1 "field pad" (basically a weight somewhere between the acrylic and the visual diary, also had a lot more pages than the pads) and 1 "quick sketch" pad (I think it was cartridge paper ). All up, that was about $5, while the original packs were $13. The place that I bought them from evidently were trying to get rid of them, as in addition to the pack I bought, they had a whole bunch of the packs broken up and were trying to hawk off the pads individually. (I figured out at the time that I was actually getting a BETTER deal by buying the pack as a whole, since the pads were going for 50c each, there were 12 in a pack and the pack was $5)

So I go home, set up my mini sketch-kit by putting together a pencil case with pencils and 2 of the pads inside, while I put the remaining sketch pads in a basket. Oops, there go 4 of them into the depths of my desk. 2 of them I manage to recover, but the field pad and the tracing pad went missing.

So despite me searching around my desk, no luck. So little old me returns to the art store to discover that they didn't have the two pads I was after in the basket of cheap pads. So I end up coughing up a dollar for another cartridge book and an oil pad. (it was either that or the acrylic pad...)

Then I get home, decide to clean off my desk ANYWAY and surprise surprise, I discover the two pads that went missing! >_<
    So lesson learned from that: keep your art supplies together!

Has anyone else ever had this moment?
    Last edited by fireheart; 05-15-2013, 03:06 PM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

All the time! My particular nemesis is nail clippers. It kinda goes in a round of not being able to find any even though you know several in the house, give up looking, buy some, find the original ones where they should have been and you already searched. Rinse repeat every few months...
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Constantly. Frequently for non-Rx medications. Antibiotic ointment, antacids, etc. Deodorant is another big one. My wife is always doing this with nail kits (file, emery boards, etc...)
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

How about a cell phone. Turned the house over looking for it. When I called it, it went straight to voice mail. Must be powered off.

I gave in and call in the insurance replacement. "Once you approve, you will be billed." I thought about it a few seconds, then pressed the button. Then I thought "I haven't checked..." Sure enough, there it was.

So I got a new/refurbished phone. Oh well. The battery was going in the old one.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

All the time....A running joke between us (Mrs. TGK & yours truly) is to go shopping for a replacement item to drag the missing article out of hiding.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

A big thing for my family is stuff found in the pantry and fridge. We once ended up with three containers of mayonnaise and four bottles of ketchup at once. Simply because we thought we ran out, went buy more and viola! We find the original bottle 3/4 of the way full. There tends to be a similar pattern with different drinks and pancake syrup as well. It finally got to the point where we cleared a section of a shelf just for extra things.
            Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Quoth Eevie View Post
              A big thing for my family is stuff found in the pantry and fridge. We once ended up with three containers of mayonnaise and four bottles of ketchup at once. Simply because we thought we ran out, went buy more and viola! We find the original bottle 3/4 of the way full. There tends to be a similar pattern with different drinks and pancake syrup as well. It finally got to the point where we cleared a section of a shelf just for extra things.
              We've done that a few times. I've gone and bought a big hunk of lettuce only to discover MOAR in the fridge.

My boyfriend's family always seem to have SO much stuff in their pantry.

Including the mutant chicken foot (aka potato) that we found in the pantry...
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

This used to happen to me a lot. It's the origin of my pixies theory. So far the theory is holding up. I made friends with my pixies, and the whole 'lose something, replace it, find it where you know you looked half a dozen times' thing doesn't happen to me very often anymore. When this sort of thing happens, I just ask them to bring it back, and 5 or 10 minutes later look again and there it is. It helps that I give them neat toys sometimes.
                You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I've just ordered a new set of size 7 double-point knitting needles because I was going to pick up an old project I needed to finish and couldn't find the needles I had used. I just know I'm going to find BOTH missing sets now that I've ordered new ones. But that's fine if they do turn up because I ordered fancy super-sharp nickel-plated ones and both my old sets were cheap dull Boye aluminums.

Comment

I'm so happy to know I'm in such good company ...

Quoth Gizmo View Post
                    All the time! My particular nemesis is nail clippers. *snip*
                    Quoth Crossbow View Post
                    Constantly. Frequently for non-Rx medications. Antibiotic ointment, antacids, etc. Deodorant is another big one. My wife is always doing this with nail kits (file, emery boards, etc...)
                    Quoth Eevie View Post
                    A big thing for my family is stuff found in the pantry and fridge. *snip*
                    Yep, nail clippers, non-Rx meds -- especially the tubes of antibiotic ointment. Also aspirins, my own personal cure-all. I think at one point I had more than half a dozen opened and partly-used containers of aspirin around the apartment ... Then there's my amazing collection of lip moisturizers, most of which are bought in the winter when I can't find any of the two dozen I already have and so buy another one because hey, they're cheap, right? And I really could use one right now ...

And yes, kitchen stuff too ... especially spices, because I go through looong periods where I don't cook, then when I do, I can't find the spice(s) that I need because my spice collection is large and in total chaos. Just recently went and bought a package of dried onion flakes ... three days later, what do I find in the cupboard?

Comment

Working...
                    X