Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I Look Like I Work Here? In This Outfit??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I Look Like I Work Here? In This Outfit??

I know I've read many stories of folks here being mistaken as an employee of some place they are buying things in because they are wearing clothing that looks vaguely uniform like.

It happened to me today and I wasn't even wearing anything remotely like what the cashiers in this store wear!

Shopping in Food Lion, only store in town with organic produce, pushing my cart filled with produce and stuff around, minding my own business clad in bright blue yoga pants capri length, bright blue croc sandals and a old white shirt. Employees at this Food Lion wear black pants, black laceup shoes and tan polo shirts with the Food Lion logo and their nametag on them.

Man stops me, not particularly old and didn't seem mentally incapacitated and demanded to know where we were hiding the Vienna sausages from him. I explained about a dozen times a) I don't work there and b) I don't buy canned meats so I wasn't sure. Guy kept insisting I did work there! I walked off and left him prattling to himself about hidden Vienna sausages.
    "No, I will not poop a shopping cart out for you." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Be honest, now. You went to the store that day with the sole purpose of hiding Vienna sausages from customers.

Where are they?

I had someone assume I was an employee while in the dollar store last week. I was in a pant suit because I was working that day, and I had just popped out to buy a few office supplies for my store.

On one hand, I was clearly overdressed for a casual afternoon of shopping at the dollar store, so maybe that's why I was pegged as an employee. On the other hand...do dollar store employees generally wear business suits? Every one I've ever seen has been wearing jeans and a t-shirt. It's always struck me as a casual place to work.

I don't know what people are thinking sometimes.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Should have told him to look for the Oscar Myer Weener...lol.

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
        do dollar store employees generally wear business suits?
        Yes. Yes I do. Why, you ask, when it seems the store is so relaxed? Because it's AGAINST COMPANY POLICY to wear blue jeans and t-shirts. I can only wear blue jeans and a t-shirt if I'm unloading the truck. I can get away with tan or green cargo pants if I'm only stocking, but if I'm cashiering I have to wear business wear.
        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I so wish this would happen to me. I'm just hanging out for the mistaken employee routine so I can have fun with "If you think I'm that lazy - go call my manager".

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
            Yes. Yes I do. Why, you ask, when it seems the store is so relaxed? Because it's AGAINST COMPANY POLICY to wear blue jeans and t-shirts.
            That sucks.

I always think about applying for a job when I'm at my local dollar store, because the staff get to wear jeans. It must just be the chain I'm familiar with around here.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Mayhaps, mayhaps. The dudes and dudettes in Family Dollar and Dollar General tend to wear blue jeans. Lucky puppies.
              Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

And I bet nearly every time a person is approached by such asshats, that they complain to management & management is left saying, "uh...who?"
                When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Quoth thehippie777 View Post
                  And I bet nearly every time a person is approached by such asshats, that they complain to management & management is left saying, "uh...who?"
                  I'd be interested in seeing the response of a SC who insisted someone worked at the store, but didn't, once they're corrected by management. Anyone ever had the guts to snark off to one of these cretins and then insist that they speak to a manager right then and there?

Just the thought of it makes me laugh maniacally.

And then I'd feel bad for the poor person that had to deal with the havoc created. I could never do it.
                  "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

Quoth calulu View Post
                    Guy kept insisting I did work there! I walked off and left him prattling to himself about hidden Vienna sausages.

<*Desperately tries to stiffle comment about playing 'Hide the Sausage' lest he be beaten soundly*>
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I've always wanted an SC to assume I work somewhere, so I can tell them to shove it. Then they'll demand a manager, which I will find, just so the SC can be told that I don't work there.
                      Unfortunately, only nice people keep asking me if I work at the store I'm in.

A friend of mine was once asked, while wearing scrubs, if she worked at the WM she was in.
                      Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

I can only remember one time I was asked if I worked at a store. It was Target, and I was wearing a red polo shirt with grey cargo pants, so I did look the part. I walked out of an aisle, and went to look at some DVDs, when I realized someone behind me was yelling "Hello! Excuse me!". I looked over and the lady there asked if I worked there, so I shook my head "no", and she nodded and went to look for a real employee.

Not sure if I want to run into a SC dressed like that.

Comment

I keep having people ask me questions at the local liquor store, despite my state of dress looking nothing like their work outfits.

Of course, perhaps I have the look about me that says, "Hey, this guy looks like a boozer, maybe he can help me!"

Comment

"Hmmm...if I were a Vienna sausage...I'd be in Vienna! Yeah, that's the ticket!"
                            Know why it's called the American "Dream"? 'Cause you have to be asleep to believe it! --George Carlin

Comment

Quoth calulu View Post
                              Shopping in Food Lion, only store in town with organic produce, pushing my cart filled with produce and stuff around, minding my own business clad in bright blue yoga pants capri length, bright blue croc sandals and a old white shirt.
                              I can beat that; I was once in New Look wearing a long black velvet skirt with two gothic crosses on it, New Rock boots and an Alice Cooper t-shirt... and was still approached by a teenage girl asking for a refund. Doh! XD
                              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                              X