Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dammit Jim. I'm a pharmacist, not an IT guy.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dammit Jim. I'm a pharmacist, not an IT guy.

But I get IT done just the same.

Background: We have a server which doubles as a workstation, and a separate workstation which has two functions: one, as a second login to the server via remote desktop, and under the desktop also runs the TeleManager™ software that manages our after-hours refill requests. The server runs Server 2003; the workstation runs XP.

Our pharmacy dispensing system is way behind on program updates. We update the clinical stuff weekly, but the software is one major and two minor revisions behind. We can't fill e-prescriptions for controlled substances until we update this, but we can't, because the new version of the dispensing software won't talk to the old version of TeleManager™ . . . and we can't update that, because the new version of that won't install on XP. And we can't update *that*, because it's not our machine and I'm not shelling out for a new Win7 install set on a machine we pay maintenance on.

We've had a request in for an upgrade for ages. I finally asked them if they have a VLK for Win7, I can get an ISO from who knows where. Microsoft won't care where the physical media came from so long as they get their cash for the license. I explained to them that the inability to take e-CIIs is costing us business; finally after multiple requests to our account manager, they agreed to send us a whole new workstation, complete with screen, mouse, keyboard, speakers, the whole bit. I dunno what was wrong with the old one, but we'll take it, especially as the rental on the new machine is less than the old one. (The old one was a Dell Optiplex 855, the new one's an Optiplex XE2. I haven't compared the specs yet, but if all it's doing is being a thin client, who cares.) My boss has me come in 2 hours early Monday so I can set this stuff up while the other pharmacist is still there, I agree to this, heck if he wants to pay me pharmacist wages to be a computer tech I can live with that.

So I show up yesterday early. I disassembled the old unit, wrapped the wires, boxed everything up, unboxed the new equipment. Sawed a hole in the back of the counter so I could put the new machine on the shelf behind, as the old box was always in the way and the new one's a lot bigger (full tower vs. mini desktop). Got everything wired, powered it up, did the three finger salute, and am confronted with a login screen.

USERNAME: NTMANAGER
    PASSWORD: _________

Sorry, can't oblige. No other usernames on this machine, none of the passwords for our other boxen work, clicking "Password Hint" just says "$TLA password", where $TLA is our software vendor. I call the help desk to ask them what the damn password is, so we can use this machine at least for a workstation for now.

They don't know.

Apparently new machines are set up by the Migration Team, and they password 'em so we can't fool with them until they're on the phone with us getting domains etc. set up on the new machines. They've e-mailed the MT several times, but as of close of business yesterday, nobody even took ownership of the ticket, so we're stuck being down one workstation, not to mention can't take refills when we're closed.

So I take matters into my own hands. I get up this morning, grab a blank CD and burn myself a Hiren's Boot CD. Come into the store this afternoon, boot the CD, fire up the RDP client, and we're back to filling scripts on two screens in fifteen minutes...

It's like I've said before, I'm not paid for doing this, but no matter where I work, somehow I always wind up doing the IT...

ETA: My initial idea of booting the CD was to try and run password recovery, but then I saw the RDP client and said that looks a lot simpler, may as well just leave it running on the CD for now. Still don't have the telemanager running yet, but that can wait. I think I'll leave the client running overnight, though, as I doubt anyone else here knows how to start it in the morning.
    Last edited by Shalom; 06-17-2015, 12:34 AM.
Working...
X